The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   GT (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f850/)
-   -   Exhaust (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f850/exhaust-545227/)

Rasn1320 2/16/18 07:15 PM

Exhaust

What exhausts do you all run? Is it loud? Is it cat back or just mufflers? I was looking at mbrp

goldenpony 2/16/18 09:18 PM

Corsa

Rasn1320 2/16/18 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by goldenpony (Post 7025523)
Corsa

how much did it run ya?

wanted33 2/17/18 02:20 PM

Here's a good place to start Rasn. It's a reliable company also.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/11-13-mustang-parts.html

shaneyusa 2/17/18 07:35 PM

Roush, Love it.

Axle Back, loud and obnoxious! But still quiet enough that I can have a conversation at freeway speeds! No raspiness or drone on mine. I also have the Boss Quad exhaust...

Rasn1320 2/17/18 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by shaneyusa (Post 7025550)
Roush, Love it.

Axle Back, loud and obnoxious! But still quiet enough that I can have a conversation at freeway speeds! No raspiness or drone on mine. I also have the Boss Quad exhaust...

does anybody have a diagram of underneath the car with the stock full exhuast,kinda like a walker catalog? Thx

whowasthat 2/19/18 02:04 PM

borla S-type. sounds pretty good, and not to loud. the car has more of a race car sound then a muscle car sound

Rasn1320 2/19/18 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by whowasthat (Post 7025638)
borla S-type. sounds pretty good, and not to loud. the car has more of a race car sound then a muscle car sound

can you just replace the mufflers or do you have to buy the whole cat back system? Are the stock mufflers welded or clamped on?

SBGT 2/19/18 03:50 PM

Corsa AB`s

wanted33 2/20/18 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rasn1320 (Post 7025639)
can you just replace the mufflers or do you have to buy the whole cat back system? Are the stock mufflers welded or clamped on?

You can buy the mufflers only if you want. That's what they call "axle back". And, you can buy the "cat back" system that comes with an X or H pipe, and the mufflers.

BTW, I run the FR500 Ford Performance exhaust. I like it.

Rasn1320 2/20/18 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by wanted33 (Post 7025670)
You can buy the mufflers only if you want. That's what they call "axle back". And, you can buy the "cat back" system that comes with an X or H pipe, and the mufflers.

BTW, I run the FR500 Ford Performance exhaust. I like it.

how much is the horsepower diffrence between axle back and cat back,also price diffrence? Thx for the info. Are the stock mufflers welded on?

SBGT 2/21/18 04:54 PM

American muscle has some good videos that shows the different types and how to install them.

wanted33 2/22/18 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Rasn1320 (Post 7025687)
how much is the horsepower diffrence between axle back and cat back,also price diffrence? Thx for the info. Are the stock mufflers welded on?

To be honest, not enough HP gain that you will notice, if any. But the sound, man oh man it's worth the money.

And, to install the axle back on the 550's it takes some cutting of the over the axle pipes. Then the mufflers are secured to the pipe by clamps.

ibramson 2/22/18 08:23 PM

I have a 2016 GT premium. I have deleted the resonator and have replaced it with a Mishimoto H-pipe. The car now sounds like it has a V8 in it. It is not too loud but people now know what it has under the hood. I am contemplating swapping in a Roush axle back, but am a bit unsure if I will be able to put up with the noise on the highway. I've seen differing opinions from "no drone in the cabin" to "too loud". I would be interested in anyone who has this combination to reply to this thread with their own personal experience with this setup. Thanks.

woody24 2/23/18 08:05 AM

Too bad there isn't a muffler store where you can hear, live in person, what it would sound like on your car. I've watched many video's online, and they all lose the ability to clearly hear what it truly sounds like when it's recorded on a mic on a phone, and played through computer speakers.

I wanna know if it will rattle my shelves when sitting idle in my garage, like my last one did.

Wish I would have tracked down the guy who obviously did something to his Mustang, over the summer. Months before I knew I was going to trade in. His brand new Mustang sounded like an old 67-69 muscle car. Like that completely flooded with air sound. Like if he didn't keep tapping the gas, the car would die due to the lack of fuel.

wanted33 2/23/18 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by woody24 (Post 7025819)
Too bad there isn't a muffler store where you can hear, live in person, what it would sound like on your car. I've watched many video's online, and they all lose the ability to clearly hear what it truly sounds like when it's recorded on a mic on a phone, and played through computer speakers.

I wanna know if it will rattle my shelves when sitting idle in my garage, like my last onue did.

Wish I would have tracked down the guy who obviously did something to his Mustang, over the summer. Months before I knew I was going to trade in. His brand new Mustang sounded like an old 67-69 muscle car. Like that completely flooded with air sound. Like if he didn't keep tapping the gas, the car would die due to the lack of fuel.

I agree Woody. Videos do not provide you with the true sound of an exhaust. In person is the only way to know for sure.

Bert 2/23/18 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by wanted33 (Post 7025773)
To be honest, not enough HP gain that you will notice, if any. But the sound, man oh man it's worth the money.

And, to install the axle back on the 550's it takes some cutting of the over the axle pipes. Then the mufflers are secured to the pipe by clamps.

Really? The mufflers are not clamped on to the over-axle pipe like they were in earlier generations? That kinda stinks, they used to be so easy to change.

Regarding sound -- yeah the muffler makes the biggest difference; removing the resonators is probably next; and the pipes make the least difference to the sound. So I would suggest starting with mufflers (aka "axle back") and then go from there. And that used to be so easy to do . . .

Rasn1320 2/24/18 01:31 PM

Ill prob go with the axle back,is mbrp louder than roush?

wanted33 2/25/18 11:38 AM

Be careful with the lesser brands. There is a greater possibility of drone in the cabin at cruising speeds. To me an exhaust drone in the cabin is a big go-to. As I said check American Muscle, and read the reviews of the different exhaust. There's some good info to help you in your decision.

Rasn1320 2/25/18 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by wanted33 (Post 7025926)
Be careful with the lesser brands. There is a greater possibility of drone in the cabin at cruising speeds. To me an exhaust drone in the cabin is a big go-to. As I said check American Muscle, and read the reviews of the different exhaust. There's some good info to help you in your decision.

how bad is this drone,so bad you cant talk on phone or hear radio? Lol