GT

Completed spare tire photos on 2017 GT

Search this Thread

Old 8/3/17, 07:53 AM
GT Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Completed spare tire photos on 2017 GT

A while ago I posted about how I installed a full size spare in my 2017 GT with PP. I finally finished and here are a couple photos. The 5.0 emblem is not permanent, I just set it in for the picture. the reason I covered the wheel is if I drop something and it falls thru the wheel I can't get my hand in there to retrieve it, and it protects the wheel from scratches.
Attached Thumbnails Completed spare tire photos on 2017 GT-20170603_143229.jpg   Completed spare tire photos on 2017 GT-20170802_172432.jpg  
Old 8/3/17, 11:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
That looks like a professional job. How much work was it?
Old 8/3/17, 11:35 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Sarge
That looks like a professional job. How much work was it?
Thanks,Seems like the hardest part was deciding on the materials to use. they needed to be light weight and strong. Once I had everything I needed it was just a matter of making up a couple templets and a couple custom attach bolts to hold the tire and jack in place. It was a fun project, wish Ford would do something like this for the PP option.
Old 8/4/17, 07:16 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Could you show shots of under the tire and how you attached it to the car? Looks nice, you did a very professional job on this. I have been wanting to do something similar with my 2014 track pack car. What is the plate under the tire? I assume it covers the original spare tire compartment where the inflator lives.

Last edited by shaneyusa; 8/4/17 at 07:17 AM.
Old 8/4/17, 08:42 AM
GT Member

Shaneyusa, When you remove the tire inflator you will see two attach points on the floor of the trunk tire well. I used one to secure the scissor jack and the second to hold down the 19x9 wheel/tire. With the tire inflated to 16 lbs the circumference is just the right size to allow it to slip into the spare tire well with the scissor jack beneath. Due to the width of the tire tread you will have aprox. 2 to 3 inches of tire extending above trunk floor as shown in photo. Its really an easy mod and gives you a spare tire that will fit on the front of a PP.
Old 8/4/17, 05:14 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have tried that with my tire setup (275/35R20), but they will not fit. They are about a 1/2 an inch too tall to fit even when deflated to 10 psi.

I have been toying with extending the spare tire tie down bolt with a coupler. Then placing the tire above the spare tire well. This would leave most of the tire above the trunk floor. Not really ideal. Takes a lot of central trunk space. I feel like doing this would make it hard to put in luggage or golf clubs. But seems like the best solution. I am just not ready to start cutting up the trunk "carpet" cover just yet.

Right now I only throw the tire in when taking road trips. Using straps to secure it, not pretty and takes too much trunk space.

Do like what you did, but does not sound like it will totally work for my setup. If I do attempt something I will post.

Last edited by shaneyusa; 8/4/17 at 05:19 PM.
Old 9/1/17, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wouldn't one of the temporary donut tire/wheel combos fit better?
I feel naked driving around without a spare.
I have the compressor thing but if I need to call AAA for help, without a spare there's nothing much to do except tow me to a garage. Thing is though, if I am not in a cell service area, I'll be S-O-L.
Old 9/2/17, 07:41 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by BerndM
Wouldn't one of the temporary donut tire/wheel combos fit better?
I feel naked driving around without a spare.
I have the compressor thing but if I need to call AAA for help, without a spare there's nothing much to do except tow me to a garage. Thing is though, if I am not in a cell service area, I'll be S-O-L.
The donut spare doesn't fit the GT with the performance pack, won't fit over the front brake calipers, be great if it did.
Old 9/2/17, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks
Mine is the Premium version but I don't have the Performance Package (at least it is not listed on the window sticker as an option, only the Equip. Grp 400A).
However I DO have the 265/35/20 tires on a set of 20" Foundry Black Mach Wheels.
Would these wheels and tire prevent the use of the donut spare in front?
Old 9/2/17, 03:44 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
It is the size of the brembo brake calipers/rotor that prevents the use of the donut spare. The smaller rim will not fit over the brakes, so you can't use it.
Old 9/2/17, 03:47 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by motor12
A while ago I posted about how I installed a full size spare in my 2017 GT with PP. I finally finished and here are a couple photos. The 5.0 emblem is not permanent, I just set it in for the picture. the reason I covered the wheel is if I drop something and it falls thru the wheel I can't get my hand in there to retrieve it, and it protects the wheel from scratches.
That looks really good. A friend of mine did something similar to put a full size spare in his car but he used shims so the stock trunk carpet/hard board would sit over the top of the tire without cutting out. Both appear to work well and minimize the amount of lost trunk space.
Old 9/8/17, 12:50 PM
GT Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ford won't do it because the fitment is staggered and you can't use the front on the rear and vice versa. It will cause an ABS fault if you do.