GT

2018 GT Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 2/14/19, 08:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
H-pipe or X-pipe? What is the difference in sound and performance please. Picking up my 2018 GT Manual Saturday.
Old 2/15/19, 10:07 AM
GT Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
EXHAUST

Originally Posted by Kleiss1
H-pipe or X-pipe? What is the difference in sound and performance please. Picking up my 2018 GT Manual Saturday.
I have a MRT stainless H- pipe on my 2018. Replacing the stock resonator with the H- pipe gave the exhaust a deeper tone. Most owners say a X- pipe has a more raspy high pitched sound.
Old 2/15/19, 03:58 PM
V6 Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
did you end up getting wheels?
Yes, Cosmis XT-206R, (gun metal) 18x9 all around. They are nice, added some Mickey Thompson street comp tires as well.
Old 2/15/19, 04:01 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Kleiss1
I vote H-pipe. But I am biased, that is what i have. Delete the resonator. Difference in sound is the H-pipe is a little more throaty. Whereas the X-pipe is more raspy. They say the H-pipe is more like classic muscle car sound. Either one is good. As far as performance, from what Ive read, the H pipe is better on the low end, while the X pipe is better on the high end. I don't think there is a big difference in added performance though.
Old 2/15/19, 04:05 PM
V6 Member

Update to this thread. I am adding BMR lowering springs (performance). Drop is about 1.2 inch in front and 0.5 inch in rear. I haven't finished but finishing this weekend. I'll post pics when complete.
Old 2/23/19, 09:34 AM
V6 Member

Here are some pics. BMR performance lowering springs. And Cosmis wheels, Mickey Thompson tires. I like the look, I feel the drop is perfect, just enough. Also installed the BMR lockout kit.

Last edited by Rpinaiii; 2/23/19 at 09:37 AM.
Old 2/25/19, 09:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Love the wheels and the drop.
The following users liked this post:
Rpinaiii (2/26/19)
Old 2/25/19, 03:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rpinaiii
I vote H-pipe. But I am biased, that is what i have. Delete the resonator. Difference in sound is the H-pipe is a little more throaty. Whereas the X-pipe is more raspy. They say the H-pipe is more like classic muscle car sound. Either one is good. As far as performance, from what Ive read, the H pipe is better on the low end, while the X pipe is better on the high end. I don't think there is a big difference in added performance though.
How much influence does the resonator, X-pipe, or H-pipe have on performance tests or on emissions tests or on sound-level tests? It seems to me any aftermarket adjustments to these pieces of hardware likely fall in the category of "Mount Everest Syndrome—I climb it because I can, not for any substantial gain other than knowing I did it".

If resonator-delete or X- / H-pipe swap makes a real difference, why doesn't Ford build the cars that way?

Another un-answered question: It's common to read that someone's new exhaust will sound different "when it's broken in". What, exactly are the physical changes to the hardware's status that result in a different sound caused by break-in use?
Old 2/26/19, 09:39 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 13GetThere
Love the wheels and the drop.
Awesome, thanks, I really like it. This is my first mustang and as you can see I am having fun. I am older, 43 years old, and always wanted a mustang and finally did it! lol so having very much fun with it.
Old 2/26/19, 09:44 AM
V6 Member

Plus as you can see, I did smoke tint on the lights, front and rear, side, etc. But in Texas you cant tint your front headlights, sooo i did only the corners on the headlights lol..
Old 2/26/19, 09:53 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by frank s
How much influence does the resonator, X-pipe, or H-pipe have on performance tests or on emissions tests or on sound-level tests? It seems to me any aftermarket adjustments to these pieces of hardware likely fall in the category of "Mount Everest Syndrome—I climb it because I can, not for any substantial gain other than knowing I did it".

If resonator-delete or X- / H-pipe swap makes a real difference, why doesn't Ford build the cars that way?

Another un-answered question: It's common to read that someone's new exhaust will sound different "when it's broken in". What, exactly are the physical changes to the hardware's status that result in a different sound caused by break-in use?
Ford probably produces mustangs in a certain way because of emissions testing, mpg, etc. They also probably take into account the average car buyer that does not want a loud sounding exhaust. The performance gains for deleting the resonator for an H or X pipe is very small in the amount of added HP, it allows for a little more free flow exhaust air. As far as sound, there is no debating that the sound increases with either an H or X pipe while deleting the resonator. Its all what is in your taste. You can check out American Muscle and they have actual decibel testing for products like this. Again, performance wise probably 5 HP added, not sure, you can look that up as well. But, the 2018 Mustang GT does sound way better stock than previous years in my opinion. As far as exhaust "break in" i don't think it exists. At least it didn't for me. I researched all this online and "break-in" was not really valid. But, i could be wrong. After I changed it on my vehicle, my new exhaust sounds the same now as right after I installed it.

Last edited by Rpinaiii; 2/26/19 at 09:55 AM.
Old 2/26/19, 10:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
these are subjective questions and I don't have direct experience with all of them but will comment anyway:

How much influence does the resonator, X-pipe, or H-pipe have on performance tests or on emissions tests or on sound-level tests?
Performance -- practically zero; maybe 1 or 2 HP difference at most (assuming you are keeping the catalytic converters)
Emissions -- should be zero, if you keep the catalytic converters. If you remove the catalytic converters, you might pick up a few HP, and it will be a lot louder, but you'll make your car illegal per federal law
Sound level -- resonator is basically a mini pre-muffler, so removing it makes it a little louder. H and X mostly change the "quality" of the sound, the volume depends more on the muffler than the mid-pipe style

It seems to me any aftermarket adjustments to these pieces of hardware likely fall in the category of "Mount Everest Syndrome—I climb it because I can, not for any substantial gain other than knowing I did it".
yeah I would consider these things for the fun of it, not because I was expecting some specific improvement . . . ."don't expect too much, and you won't be disappointed"

Ford tries to build the cars to appeal to the most potential buyers. They also have to meet loudness restrictions from all 50 states. After you buy the car, you have more flexibility to change it to your personal tastes, which someone else might not like.

This one seems like a stretch to me too, and I think the differences are very subtle in most cases. Some muffler systems use packing materials that change a little when they get hot and/or coated with residue from the exhaust and that can change the sound a little. I would not expect any change at all for "break in" of X-pipe or H-pipe since they are just pipes.
Old 2/27/19, 09:15 AM
Bullitt Member

I think what they mean by exhaust break-in, is after they have modified their exhaust system and not had the engine re-tuned, it's the eventual sound the exhaust makes when the catalytic converter clogs up. Just sayen.
Old 2/28/19, 07:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

LOL . . . . no, that would be "exhaust broken" :-)
Old 2/28/19, 11:10 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Old school glass packs would get louder with age.
Old 2/28/19, 01:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

^^^ probably because the glass is continuing to pack
Old 3/1/19, 08:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Old school glass packs were ticket magnets.
Old 3/14/19, 09:03 AM
V6 Member

I know there are differing opinions about whether new springs "settle", but after about 3 weeks of adding BMR springs, I really feel the suspension has settled some. The car looks a tad bit lower than the pic I posted after installation. And that's a good thing because it looks even better. By how much, I don't know , but the look is exactly what I was going for. I didn't take measurements before or after but can tell just by sight. What are your thoughts about springs "settling" fact or myth?
Old 5/4/19, 11:23 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by area5179
I would invest in an aftermarket shifter. I always hated the stock one. It felt to mushy and imprecise. I'll be getting a Barton short throw shifter and a h-pipe in the spring.
Did you get and install the Barton short throw shifter ?
Old 5/4/19, 11:48 PM
V6 Member

Installed the Barton two post shifter support bracket today. The stock one is pretty flimsy compared to the Barton bracket. Pic attached. It was $129 at American muscle. Figured I try this with stock shifter and see if there was any huge difference before possibly moving up to the short throw. I drove today and there was not a WOW factor in noticeable difference. But we will see after more driving. Easy instal just a PITA, such a small spot.

Quick Reply: 2018 GT Suggestions