Tire and Wheel Tech All the tire and wheel technical information you can think of in one place!

Wheel help

Search this Thread

Old 12/15/21, 05:50 AM
Mos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel help

Hi guys I have a 2012 gt. My wheels seem to lock up at random points while driving. It could be a nice sunny day with great road conditions and it will still happen. It shows that I知 losing control on my cluster. Keep in mind I知 barely in second going 20mph
Old 12/15/21, 07:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Do you mean the traction control light comes on, on the dash? (I think it looks like a little car with a skid mark)

If so -- that means that Traction Control and/or Stability Control are kicking in for some reason. Normally traction control kicks in when the system senses wheel spin (rear wheels only) and stability control kicks in when it senses that the car is sliding or moving sideways (mainly based on differences in wheel speed)

But if the system has a problem; then it can kick in when it should not . . . you might want to search for threads on "traction control" or "stability control" or "advancetrac"

And if you can provide some more clues, we might be able to make some more/better guesses about what is happening
Old 12/15/21, 07:16 AM
Mos

Originally Posted by Bert
Do you mean the traction control light comes on, on the dash? (I think it looks like a little car with a skid mark)

If so -- that means that Traction Control and/or Stability Control are kicking in for some reason. Normally traction control kicks in when the system senses wheel spin (rear wheels only) and stability control kicks in when it senses that the car is sliding or moving sideways (mainly based on differences in wheel speed)

But if the system has a problem; then it can kick in when it should not . . . you might want to search for threads on "traction control" or "stability control" or "advancetrac"

And if you can provide some more clues, we might be able to make some more/better guesses about what is happening
yes that痴 what happens! I do need to get my rear bearing fixed or tire balanced could that be what is causing it?
Old 12/15/21, 07:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Mos
. . . I do need to get my rear bearing fixed or tire balanced could that be what is causing it?
I doubt it --
If wheel bearing was so bad that it was locking up the wheel, that might trigger the system, but it would have to be really bad to do that, and even then it is a stretch
tire balance also would not do it, unless it is so bad that it is making the car jump off the ground . . . . also a major stretch to imagine

I have seen some other threads where the traction/stability control system basically goes crazy and does all kinds of weird things; or my other wild guess would be that there might be something wrong with one or more of the wheel speed sensors.
Old 12/15/21, 07:54 AM
Mos

Originally Posted by Bert
I doubt it --
If wheel bearing was so bad that it was locking up the wheel, that might trigger the system, but it would have to be really bad to do that, and even then it is a stretch
tire balance also would not do it, unless it is so bad that it is making the car jump off the ground . . . . also a major stretch to imagine

I have seen some other threads where the traction/stability control system basically goes crazy and does all kinds of weird things; or my other wild guess would be that there might be something wrong with one or more of the wheel speed sensors.
i think it actually might be the wheel speed sensors! That would explain the advanced traction control and stability control going off randomly for a period of time. Or am I wrong again
Old 12/15/21, 08:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

yeah I'd suspect the wheel sensors, especially if you have other issues going on with your wheels and they might have been disturbed somehow . . . could be other things too but the wheel speed sensors are relatively easy to check

there is one on each wheel; it is a little black plastic cylinder right near the gear teeth on the hub behind the wheel; I believe the sensor counts the teeth as they go by

they have wires that run up into the car to the control system

if you are having someone work on the bearings and/or tire balance, you could ask them to check the wheel speed sensors while they are at it, and hopefully they will know what you are talking about
The following users liked this post:
houtex (12/16/21)
Old 12/15/21, 12:28 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
I'd check to see if the wires at the sensors were worn or rubbing on something.
The following 2 users liked this post by SpectreH:
Bert (12/15/21), houtex (12/16/21)