Tire and Wheel Tech All the tire and wheel technical information you can think of in one place!

Mustanger's Guide to Perfect Tires

Old 1/4/13, 11:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang259
Cooper RS3 A, 255/40/19 on mustang gt vert which is a daily driver.

I have about 3000 miles on them so far, in dry/wet and cold temps.

In my opinion, a very under rated tire.
Dry-- good roadholding and no feelings of loss of traction, I routinely drive a 3 mile stretch of 2 lane that has some long curves and several 30 mph curves, these tires handle speeds of 60 plus in the curves without any complaint.
Wet-- Very stable and difficult to break loose, I have tried several times without success.
Cold-- Driven in 30's and 40's so far and other than initial flat spots until they get warmed up, I can't find any fault.

I really like these tires, they are a bit noisier than my OE tires but for an all season they handle almost as well as the summer Goodyear F1's.

I would definitely buy these again.
I have to say the same thing. I LOVE my RS3-As. A lot. They look good, are priced very reasonable compared to the rest, and fantastic performance. Especially the wet, which is the major reason I buy any tire and like them (All seasons that is... slicks wouldn't count. ). If it sucks in the wet, that tire sucks. Period. These definitely do not suck.
Old 1/5/13, 07:59 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump
Old 1/6/13, 11:50 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Yeah the tire rack has my rear replacement tires priced at $589 each!!!! Ummmm...pretty sure I will not be replacing them as original equipment! Just got the car so I'm in no need of new shoes yet just being a little proactive.
Old 1/6/13, 11:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Yeah the tire rack has my rear replacement tires priced at $589 each!!!! Ummmm...pretty sure I will not be replacing them as original equipment! Just got the car so I'm in no need of new shoes yet just being a little proactive.
Haha are they the Goodyear f1 supercar tires right?
Old 1/6/13, 11:53 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

No Pirellis!!!
Old 1/6/13, 11:56 PM
Cobra R Member

No Pirellis!!!
Smh I have no idea what I am talking about.

Write a review about them, we haven't heard anything about perellis.
Old 1/6/13, 11:59 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Isn't much to review about yet. Only got the car in October and the weather has been cool ever since. Will need some spring and summer seat time to be able to have an honest opinion about them. But based on price they would have to be **** good to want to repurchase!
Old 1/7/13, 12:01 AM
Cobra R Member

Isn't much to review about yet. Only got the car in October and the weather has been cool ever since. Will need some spring and summer seat time to be able to have an honest opinion about them. But based on price they would have to be **** good to want to repurchase!
Foreal!!

Keep us posted.
Old 1/9/13, 03:25 PM
Cobra R Member

I recently got nitto nt555's put on my front rims, so I will have another good right up for them in a week or so.

In the meanwhile
BUMP
Old 1/12/13, 07:25 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 947 Likes on 575 Posts
Just bought a set (around Xmas) of the Goodyear Eagle GT for my GT/CS in the original stock size of 235/50ZR18 with a speed rating of 97W. The label indicates it as a 'High Performance All Season' radial. They replaced the BFG originals which weren't too bad.
I am extremely impressed with the performance in the rain and cold which it seems to be almost daily here in western NC lately. The grip is outstanding and comparable to the Goodyear GS-D3 I have on my Trans Am. I know it is early in the game for these new tires but all my experiences with Goodyear have been very positive.
Old 1/20/13, 10:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Bump
Old 1/24/13, 08:14 PM

I am in Maryland and on Tuesday (Jan 22) I had the Continental DWS 245/45/19 installed on my GT Prem, square set up. Good thing I finally got rid of the Pirelli's, as it snowed here yesterday. The Pirelli's were awful even in good conditions. I had five track days in 2012, and they became rock hard, and lost any traction they did have. As for the Conti's, they really performed well in the snow. I found that I was doing better than most cars on the road, and even had better traction then some SUV's that were sliding all over the place. I won't state that I didn't loose traction here and there, but I never felt out of control. When I did loose traction, letting up on the gas allowed the car to quickly reestablish itself and provide the needed grip to keep going. Even stopping on an upgraded hill, which got me nervous, really wasn't an issue. I only have had these tires for two days, but I am already impressed with their ability in difficult conditions.

I do not intend to track these tires, and will use them as my daily drivers, as I intend to get summer tires for the track. At this point, I am down to three, RE-11, RS-3S (Cooper), or R-S3 (Hankook). Realistically, I think they probably will all give just fine performance. I probably am going to go for 18" and a square set up of 275/40, but may have to go to either 275/35 or 285/35 as the tires don't come in all sizes.

Would be interested in any others comments.
Old 2/1/13, 09:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
nobody running pzero neros?
Old 2/3/13, 10:30 AM
Cobra R Member

Alright guys, about a month ago i replaced my old worn out kumhos (up front) with a set of nitto nt555's, after driving them in weather ranging from 33 degrees and raining to 90 degrees and sunny (gotta love texas) I feel like i can properly review them. My first thought when i got these tires put onto my car was "no way these are 245's! they were alot wider then the all season kumhos I had on before and they were the same size. Speaking of appearance they have a nice tread design, nothing to crazy but nothing to boring. I also liked the side wall how it was smooth and didnt have a bunch of raised areas, makes it alot easier to apply and remove tire shine. Just a thought though.
Now let me tell you, these tires shine in every area and at every challenge that has been thrown at them. I noticed right off the bat how strong the side walls were, they eliminated the gushy feeling I had. In the rain I have not experienced any hydroplaining with them, they are good in the rain. There was on instance i had to plant my foot to the firewall to stop and the they never slipped of slid, and it was raining! In dry weather they are superb, I feel like I am fully taking advantage of all my suspension mods with these tires, weird to say, but they inspire enough confidence to push hard.
All in all i would definitely recomend this tire to everyone, for the price there is nothing better. I will be replacing my crap sumis out back with these asap.
Old 2/3/13, 10:54 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of my experience comes from Michelin Pilot PS2's and Super Sports, Pirelli R- compound tires for the Boss, Nitto NT555 and Nitto NT555-r (305-35-20), Conti DFW's, Hankook V12 and lastly the Cooper RS3. To break it down:

Michelin Pilot PS2's: Great all weather tires that offers an abundant amount of traction in dry and even cold weather. Still has decent traction in wet weather. Ran these on a whippled 2011 for a very short period of time so I can't comment on the longevity. Are they worth the cost? Yes....

Michelin SS: Traction is phenomenal, have a customer using these on his tracked boss, despite the softer sidewall he was able to negate the issue but going with 265/35/19 and 295/30/19. Wet weather is actually pretty good. I haven't ran these personally but driven in them, tested them out a bit. Worth it? If you have the coin.

Nitto NT555 and NT555r. I ran these for only 150 miles on our 2011 whippled mustang. Running just at 625RWHP, traction was non-existent. Then again getting a DR in a 20's wheel is pointless anyways as the sidewall is not wide enough. I have a buddy running DR 315/35/20 on his 2012 Shelby and is having good luck, lifespan is decent for a DR (around 10k miles). Actually drove it in the ran and had no issues just needed to drive with a lighter foot.

Hankook V12's. I've ran these the longest and for the money can tell you these are fantastic. Good in wet, dry, hot or cold. Traction is still not the best but we did fine running a mid 600RWHP on these at the tail of the dragon. Handled flawlessly around the corners. By far the "best bang for the buck". I ran these for 10k and could go another 10k easily on them.

Cooper and Conti for street purposes don't get enough credit and are often underated. I ran the Conti's for a few thousand miles and although I never tested them performance wise. I can tell you their a comfortable tire and offers great performance. I sold these to a buddy of mine who daily drives his TVS 12 mustang, ran/ dry it doesn't matter. He does just fine as long as he drives like a responsible adult!! lol

Nitto NT555 was by far the worst tire to run in the cold, didn't matter if it was the DR's or street tires. Hankook was my favorite for the cost.

I have a buddy running the GY eagle F1's on his shelby, traction is non-existent. Thats about all I know on those as I hear more complaints than anything. He will be picking up the PS2's.

Hopefully that offers a decent perspective and experience on a few tires I've used. I go thru Wheels and tires fairly quick, my A.D.D. takes control at times and need to switch out often.
Old 2/3/13, 11:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Thanks for the input!
Old 2/12/13, 01:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm on my second set of Continental DWS tires. I got the first set back in March of 2010 and the set lasted about 41K miles (was commuting back and forth from NJ to MD for nearly a year and half) and I got the new set this past October. Great all around traction in wet weather and decent performance in the snow...as long its not more then 2-3 inches of the white stuff.

If your looking for a great all around tire for a daily driver, I'd recommend these tires.
Old 2/18/13, 05:41 PM
GT Member

I just put on a set of Nitto Invos about two weeks ago. I run 20x9 wheels all around and a staggered 255-35 front 275-35 rear setup. So far they are miles ahead of the nt555s they replaced. They get better cold traction than the 555s and I have driven in a heavy rain with no traction problems. On dry pavement, they seem to hook great. I am looking forward to this summer to try them out at the strip and see how they are on warm pavement.
Attached Thumbnails Mustanger's Guide to Perfect Tires-nitto_invo.jpg  
Old 3/12/13, 10:59 PM
Cobra R Member

BUMP
Old 3/13/13, 05:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Interesting read

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mustanger's Guide to Perfect Tires