The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f821/)
-   -   Rotor upgrade for stock Brembos (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f821/rotor-upgrade-stock-brembos-521031/)

G Wrecks 4/23/13 12:01 AM

Rotor upgrade for stock Brembos

My 5.0 is a 2011 brembo car, and it's time for me to change the front rotors. I would like to upgrade them, but I don't know which ones are worth buying. What do y'all recommend?

CCTking 4/23/13 12:35 AM

SSBC makes great rotors. As do Baer and Wilwood. One of the most popular upgrades is a big brake or 14" front rotor kit. Upgrade kits usually have everything you need installation wise. But tools and and jackstands are on you

Check out eother of those company websites and search for applications on an 11+ gt to find ones that will fit

ConeBoss 4/23/13 10:28 AM

An inexpensive option is a stock replacement rotor from Powerslot...which is actually a Stoptech rotor rebranded. I recommend the slotted variety.

If you want a nice performance upgrade, Baer makes a two piece slotted rotor that is also a direct replacement.

You may want to replace pads at the same time for optimal brake performance and feel.

G Wrecks 4/23/13 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by ConeBoss (Post 6609723)
An inexpensive option is a stock replacement rotor from Powerslot...which is actually a Stoptech rotor rebranded. I recommend the slotted variety.

If you want a nice performance upgrade, Baer makes a two piece slotted rotor that is also a direct replacement.

You may want to replace pads at the same time for optimal brake performance and feel.

I've been researching those powerstop rotors, but haven't found many reviews from guys with mustangs. I found a pair, brand new, on amazon for only $130. Super cheap and I don't know why.

*edit*

Nevermind, got my information confused. They were SportStop rotors... not anywhere near powerstop. doh!

devildog1679 4/23/13 09:19 PM

TPS has a great deal on rotors. I got mine last year and they have been put through a few trackdays and Auto-x with no issues.

Ponywars 4/23/13 09:32 PM

Whats wrong with the stockers?

G Wrecks 4/23/13 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ponywars (Post 6610267)

I've got 32k miles now and they are still original. The previous owner beat the $#!+ out of the car for the 8 months he owned it and it needs new rotors bad

CCTking 4/23/13 10:57 PM

Well at least you know its wasnt a garage queen then lol

G Wrecks 4/23/13 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by CCTking (Post 6610338)

No doubt... The paint tells me that story. I need a full paint restoration so bad.

ConeBoss 4/25/13 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ponywars (Post 6610267)

Abuse aside, it depends on your viewpoint. For me the problem with the stockers is that they are heavy and inefficient.

The Powerslots don't really save much in weight, but the slots help with efficiency. <-- I have used these and found them durable and perform well, great bang for buck factor.

The Baer two-piece does both and for a two piece solution it was the most cost effective I found.

Stevedotmil 4/29/13 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by ConeBoss (Post 6611112)
The Baer two-piece does both and for a two piece solution it was the most cost effective I found.

Do you have more info on these for us visually challenged folks. Part numbers would be awesome too if you have them handy.

Stevedotmil 4/29/13 12:34 PM

Nevermind.....found em.

JScottGT 4/30/13 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by ConeBoss (Post 6611112)
Abuse aside, it depends on your viewpoint. For me the problem with the stockers is that they are heavy and inefficient.

The Powerslots don't really save much in weight, but the slots help with efficiency. <-- I have used these and found them durable and perform well, great bang for buck factor.

A 2-piece really is the only option to get what you are looking for. Is this all for the street? Bling factor? Or are you planning on actually taking your car out on the road course to be able to fully take advantage of what a 2-piece rotor will give you? Otherwise, plain, stock, non-drilled, non-slotted rotors will suffice and will give you the best bang-for-the-buck in the long run. Just my $0.02

G Wrecks 4/30/13 02:01 PM

To be honest, anytime a part needs to be replaced, I like to upgrade it. I don't need slotted or drilled rotors, but I want them. I guess it's really more of an appearance mod more than anything else.

Stevedotmil 5/1/13 12:50 PM

No harm in spending a little extra to get what you want when you are spending the coin anyway to replace worn parts.

G Wrecks 5/1/13 03:22 PM

So I found that RockAuto.com has these ( http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sph-128-61089l ) for $92 each

I think this is the way I'm gonna go

ConeBoss 5/2/13 10:58 AM

Pretty good deal.

Tapakegovagnaps 5/2/13 11:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just upgraded mine to DBA 4000xs'

110/ea on close out @ moss muscle

essque 5/2/13 11:50 AM

^^nice find, those look great. did u notice any difference in braking performance?

JCStang 5/2/13 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by CCTking (Post 6610338)

Not that there is anything wrong with that!!!!