The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f821/)
-   -   Panhard bar for 1/4" adjustment? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f821/panhard-bar-1-4-adjustment-532465/)

K.A.I.N 8/21/14 10:25 AM

Panhard bar for 1/4" adjustment?

Recently dropped on FRPP P springs, drove several hundred miles to let the springs settle. I checked the rear axle shift using a plumb bob, driver side is only a 1/4" out compared to the passenger side. This was checked on a flat, level surface, but I do have nearly a full tank of gas, and I didn't simulate driver weight. I didn't measure to see if it was already off with factory suspension.

This is my DD, will not see track time, only the occasional twisty road. Car drives fine. In the grand scheme of things all the money I spent on the car in the 3 months of ownership what's another ~$100, but I'm inclined to think I'm good to go without an adjustable panhard bar.

Brandon302 8/21/14 10:53 AM

You are probably within spec but why not do it right, I would think this could also cause your front alignment to be set to compensate which is stupid if you can center the axle.

K.A.I.N 8/21/14 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Brandon302 (Post 6842804)
You are probably within spec but why not do it right, I would think this could also cause your front alignment to be set to compensate which is stupid if you can center the axle.

Had an alignment done after installing springs, everything was within spec and needed very little adjustment. Don't have the printout in front of me, but I recall I'm at 7 caster, -1.4 camber, and 0.05 toe.

I'll likely get around to installing a panhard bar in the future when I'm bored and haven't modded in a while, just gauging the room to see if there's an immediate need.

Brandon302 8/21/14 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by K.A.I.N (Post 6842805)
Had an alignment done after installing springs, everything was within spec and needed very little adjustment. Don't have the printout in front of me, but I recall I'm at 7 caster, -1.4 camber, and 0.05 toe.

I'll likely get around to installing a panhard bar in the future when I'm bored and haven't modded in a while, just gauging the room to see if there's an immediate need.

If those were the specs on both sides then you are fine.

TripleBlack14 8/21/14 11:14 AM

I had Eibach Pro Kit springs installed on my GT 'vert 2 months ago...they lowered the car an inch, maybe a tick more.

The shop where I had them installed checked the alignment, and all they had to do, in their words, was a "very minor camber tweak".

I'm satisfied.

Glenn 8/21/14 12:23 PM

I would check it again at half tank of gas and see where it is. I don't think I would waste money over 1/8" adjustment.

KushBandit 8/21/14 12:36 PM

As others have said, I wouldn't worry about it in the mean time. It's still a mod you should do, just so you have the suspension geometry perfect, but it won't hurt anything being off 1/4".

When I installed my Koni/Steeda Sport suspension, I added an adjustable Panhard rod just to have it perfectly center. I could see the 1/4" difference with the naked eye, and a plumb line confirmed it. I didn't get any excessive wearing or "dog tracking" with it, but I had better peace of mind with the rear centered.

K.A.I.N 8/21/14 01:13 PM

Thanks, guys. I'll get to it eventually then, not going to sweat it.

Glenn 8/21/14 04:48 PM

it really only needs to move 1/8 of an inch to be centered. Correct, which is nothing