Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Koni Orange vs Yellow

Search this Thread

Old 6/16/17, 11:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Koni Orange vs Yellow

Quick question:

How do the Koni Orange compare to Yellow? I know Yellow is adjustable but what setting would you put the yellows on to make it comparable to the Orange?
Old 6/16/17, 01:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
the yellow has two settings,the softest setting would be compared with the Koni orange Str.t;s! i have steeda sports with koni orange and gt500 strut mounts whiteline adj ph bar and love it! Rides better than stock even on rough roads and handles fantastic,not to stiff not to soft,just right! With the yellows you get to make it stiffer if you track the car or just like the firmer ride! i also have rousch uca frpp lca (eliminated wheel hop) and steeda frame rail and torque box braces (bolted then welded in),barton 2 post on the stock 401a shifter,sr braided clutch line,hawk hps pads on stock brembo;s,redline in the trans,gt500 a/b with res delete,kn drop in,373;s (stock). n ow that all that is done i can concentrate on a tune because other than the mufflers and res delete its stock, 2012 gt premium, 401a,brembo,373,group5 app pack ( spoiler,side skirts, qrt window covers and hood scoop) race rd! 40kmiles, i bought it new

Last edited by Ponywars; 6/16/17 at 01:14 PM.
Old 6/16/17, 02:38 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,956 Likes on 1,584 Posts
Despite having Koni yellows on maximum soft settings, they still feel rough especially when going over bumps as you feel every one of them.. If I had only known back then what I do now, I would've went with Bilsteins instead
Old 6/16/17, 03:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

i,m sure Bilsteins are excellent struts and shocks also,and your going to feel bumps with any performance set up,its how they act and the koni;s for me handle the rough stuff with excellent compliance in all situations paired with my springs and other stuff!

Last edited by Ponywars; 6/16/17 at 03:20 PM.
Old 6/16/17, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ponywars
i,m sure Bilsteins are excellent struts and shocks also,and your going to feel bumps with any performance set up,its how they act and the koni;s for me handle the rough stuff with excellent compliance in all situations paired with my springs and other stuff!
Not necessarily accurate, as it depends on how the performance dampers are valved.. The thread link posted below explains this in further detail, as Bilstein dampers provide less of a harsh ride experience over Koni's..

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...needed-543229/
Old 6/16/17, 09:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

whatever!!! i,m very happy with my set up!
Old 6/16/17, 11:08 PM

Well good for you, as I wasn't just addressing the OP's question but also provided him with info regarding my personal experience of what the ride quality is like at the maximum soft settings with the Koni yellows in addition as to what setting to put the yellows on in order to make it comparable with the Koni orange.. And FYI, I'm fully aware of the fact that a performance damper isn't going to provide the same ride quality as an OEM strut/shock nor do I expect it to.. I was just sharing info from the knowledge I obtained from the thread link I posted about the differences in ride quality between Bilsteins and Koni's and nothing more.. That being said, whatever!!!

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 6/16/17 at 11:22 PM.
Old 6/17/17, 11:50 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
My Yellows have 4 adjustments in 1/2 turn on ncrements. I absolutely love how they hunker the car down at road courses. But in combination with Steeda Sports and CC plates they do ride a bit rough over uneven pavement, raven in fulll soft.

If if your car is mostly driven on the street orange or Steeda Pro Action may be a good choice. I have no experience with bilsteins
Old 6/17/17, 02:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

feel better now m05?
Old 6/17/17, 04:04 PM

feel better now m05?
Do you ??? And just for the record, I never mentioned anything about being unhappy with my Koni Yellows.. All I said was if I knew about the Bilsteins providing a less harsh ride quality over the Koni's, I would've gone with the Bilsteins instead..

However I have no intentions of making the switch to Bilsteins.. As the Koni Yellows provide my car with the much improved handling in which I've been looking for and as far as I'm concerned, is considered as top priority over ride comfort.. Plus you also can't beat Koni's lifetime warranty either..

Therefore like yourself, I'm also quite satisfied with my Koni Yellows.. Enough said !
Old 6/17/17, 04:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I bought the oranges and returned them. I was extremely disappointed with the quality. Out of the box the "zip ties" that hold them compressed had slipped off. The rebound rate was different on each shock. So I got 1 replaced and it had a completely different rebound rate than the other 2. It also didn't come with and new hardware.

So I ordered the steeds pro action which is made by Tokico. They come locked down and have to be turned a quarter turn to extend them. Kinda like buying a new hand soap bottle. Also they had all new hardware so I didn't have to reuse anything.

I love the ride. The car is much tighter on the road. But I notice zero additional harshness over stock.
Old 6/17/17, 04:49 PM
Banned

feel better now m05?
is it your time of the month or something? Glad you love your setup, but his opinion on yellows is just as relevant as yours. Calm your **** bro.
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (6/17/17)
Old 6/17/17, 04:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I just find the car a little floaty still with the orange and want it tighter. Figured the yellows th way to go as I can adjust to what I want. So orange is the equivalent of yellow on full soft?

Last edited by jim010; 6/17/17 at 04:56 PM.
Old 6/17/17, 05:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by typesredline
I bought the oranges and returned them. I was extremely disappointed with the quality. Out of the box the "zip ties" that hold them compressed had slipped off. The rebound rate was different on each shock. So I got 1 replaced and it had a completely different rebound rate than the other 2. It also didn't come with and new hardware.

So I ordered the steeds pro action which is made by Tokico. They come locked down and have to be turned a quarter turn to extend them. Kinda like buying a new hand soap bottle. Also they had all new hardware so I didn't have to reuse anything.

I love the ride. The car is much tighter on the road. But I notice zero additional harshness over stock.
Are the Steeda's adjustable?

I'm a little disappointed in the Orange too. The ride is nice, but I noticed the paint on the rears has just about all flaked off and rusting... I dont recall that happening to any other shock I've had in the past.
Old 6/17/17, 05:42 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Anyone tried the Strange Adjustables? They're under $500 for a set making them a relative steal for adjustable shocks/struts.
Old 6/17/17, 05:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fourdegrees11
Anyone tried the Strange Adjustables? They're under $500 for a set making them a relative steal for adjustable shocks/struts.
are they a drag racing shock? I looked into them a while back but memory fades.
Old 6/17/17, 06:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rog13GTCS
Are the Steeda's adjustable?

I'm a little disappointed in the Orange too. The ride is nice, but I noticed the paint on the rears has just about all flaked off and rusting... I dont recall that happening to any other shock I've had in the past.
I've never used the Orange, but I can tell you there is no float with yellows on full soft. It might be a bit stiffer than orange.
Rog13GTCS (6/20/17)
Old 6/17/17, 06:07 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
are they a drag racing shock? I looked into them a while back but memory fades.
According to the product description on LMR

"These Mustang adjustable front struts can be used on street, strip, pro touring, and drag race applications."
Old 6/17/17, 07:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

i should have put the LOL after the feel better part because i meant it in a joking matter,why would i be nasty for no reason? So no its not my time of the month 5.monster,lighten up, even mo5 was gentlemen enough not to tell me to calm my xxxx.
m05fastbackGT (6/17/17)
Old 6/17/17, 08:08 PM
Banned

i should have put the LOL after the feel better part because i meant it in a joking matter,why would i be nasty for no reason? So no its not my time of the month 5.monster,lighten up, even mo5 was gentlemen enough not to tell me to calm my xxxx.
Glad to see it settled then. Bloody marvelous. m05 is a gentleman and a scholar.
m05fastbackGT (6/17/17)