The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f821/)
-   -   Good Wet/Dry Performance Tire? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f821/good-wet-dry-performance-tire-546160/)

Joeywhat 9/20/18 07:50 AM

Good Wet/Dry Performance Tire?

I currently have Nitto Nt555 G2 tires. OK in dry conditions, absolutely awful in the rain. I lose traction ALL time unless I absolutely baby the throttle. Going to switch to something better once winter hits.

Any thoughts on a good tire for both wet and dry conditions? I have winter tires so looking at performance summer only tires. We get a fair bit of rain so I'd like to feel confident in wet conditions as well as dry. Not terribly concerned with cost, just want something that grips really well.

5.M0NSTER 9/20/18 04:49 PM

I can recommend both the Bridgestone Potenza S04 and Conti Extreme Contact DW. Both fantastic in the wet, the Potenza was a bit grippier in the dry.

Rog13GTCS 9/20/18 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER (Post 7035301)
I can recommend both the Bridgestone Potenza S04 and Conti Extreme Contact DW. Both fantastic in the wet, the Potenza was a bit grippier in the dry.

I second the Bridgestone S04's, and I too have a set of Winter tires. The S04's are grippy in the summer and provide very good traction in the wet. I live in Indy and we get our fair share of rain. I use mine around 3 seasons depending on the temps, and I have driven them when the temps dipped into the 30's and they did fine. Here are the reviews on TireRack.

Joeywhat 9/21/18 05:50 AM

Cool, I'll check out the S04's.

Rog13GTCS 9/21/18 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Joeywhat (Post 7035322)
Cool, I'll check out the S04's.

I should have asked but what are you looking to do? DD, Spirited driving, tracking? For the price, I think this tire provides a great balance for DD, spirited driving, and does well on the track.

Joeywhat 9/21/18 12:52 PM

Daily driver with a lot of spirited driving.

In a couple years I'm going to turn it into a road course car, but for now it's strictly street use.

laserred38 9/21/18 01:04 PM

I'd throw the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in the mix too. Pricier, but not by much.

Joeywhat 9/21/18 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by laserred38 (Post 7035333)
I'd throw the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in the mix too. Pricier, but not by much.

Will an all season tire handle dry grip as well as some of the summer only options?

laserred38 9/21/18 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Will an all season tire handle dry grip as well as some of the summer only options?

The AS3+ is supposed to be almost as good as the PSS in the dry. I went with the PS4S just a couple weeks ago. I can't comment on the wet yet, but the dry grip is amazing. The PSS I had before were awesome in the wet so I have high expectations for the new PS4S. :dunno: but $1600 tires though....lol

Joeywhat 9/21/18 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by laserred38 (Post 7035338)
The AS3+ is supposed to be almost as good as the PSS in the dry. I went with the PS4S just a couple weeks ago. I can't comment on the wet yet, but the dry grip is amazing. The PSS I had before were awesome in the wet so I have high expectations for the new PS4S. :dunno: but $1600 tires though....lol

I can throw down 1600 if they're really great. Especially in the wet. My current tires are borderline dangerous in the wet, even light throttle spins the tires.

EF1 9/21/18 08:23 PM

Another vote for the Bridgestone SO4. I have run them on the street and track with good results. They are a good performance tire for a bit less $ than the Michelins.

laserred38 9/22/18 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
I can throw down 1600 if they're really great. Especially in the wet. My current tires are borderline dangerous in the wet, even light throttle spins the tires.

I can't comment if the PS4S are worth the extra cost over the Bridgestones or Contis though. I was very happy with the all weather performance of the last set of DWS I had. I just wanted to get the PS4S this time, so I'm admittedly not a fair opinion here lol. I'm running 285/30/20 front and 305/30/20 rear. My previous set was down to 4/32 and I still had decent wet traction the few days it sprinkled over here. I've had 3 screws in my back left though and last week it stopped holding hair, so I pulled the trigger. I was between those and the General G-Max RS. My buddy just put a set on his WRX and they seem to be performing well so far. I had good luck with Generals in the past too so I think I would've been fine with them, especially for almost half the cost of the Michelins, but I wanted the Michelins for my DDAY build. :dunno:

EF1 9/22/18 06:42 AM

The Michelins are arguably the best tire in the category, but a bit expensive for some of us. The Bridgestone or Contis are usually a close 2nd with the other 3rd in most reviews I have seen. They are a relative bargain for the performance they offer. I don't think that you can go wrong with any of them.

Joeywhat 9/22/18 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by laserred38 (Post 7035346)
I can't comment if the PS4S are worth the extra cost over the Bridgestones or Contis though. I was very happy with the all weather performance of the last set of DWS I had. I just wanted to get the PS4S this time, so I'm admittedly not a fair opinion here lol. I'm running 285/30/20 front and 305/30/20 rear. My previous set was down to 4/32 and I still had decent wet traction the few days it sprinkled over here. I've had 3 screws in my back left though and last week it stopped holding hair, so I pulled the trigger. I was between those and the General G-Max RS. My buddy just put a set on his WRX and they seem to be performing well so far. I had good luck with Generals in the past too so I think I would've been fine with them, especially for almost half the cost of the Michelins, but I wanted the Michelins for my DDAY build. :dunno:

I'm curious about the Generals... I've used their winter tires a lot and have been very impressed, and the price is usually really good.

Gabe 9/23/18 05:17 AM

I really like my Continental DW tires.
I've also run their DWS's and loved them, but these days the car doesn't see snow anymore so no need for the "S" anymore ... the DW's are awesome.
I think the DW has been replaced by the Contact Sport or something like that.
Some vendors still have some DW's though, might get a good deal on them as closeouts ...

laserred38 9/23/18 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Gabe
I really like my Continental DW tires.
I've also run their DWS's and loved them, but these days the car doesn't see snow anymore so no need for the "S" anymore ... the DW's are awesome.
I think the DW has been replaced by the Contact Sport or something like that.
Some vendors still have some DW's though, might get a good deal on them as closeouts ...

Yeah I think we're on Conti Sport 6 at this point? I wouldn't buy closeout tires. You don't know how long they've been sitting in a warehouse and if you need to replace one down the road, you won't be able to. It's not worth saving a few hundred bucks.

Siber Express 9/23/18 09:07 AM

I had the Continental DW on mine and was truly amazed at the wet traction in the corners, was on the fence when the wore out and ended up getting a set of Michelin AS3+ and have been happy with them so far, but have not played in the Mountains with them yet.

Rog13GTCS 9/24/18 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Joeywhat (Post 7035334)

I'm going to say No. Summer only tires have a stickier compound, and will have grip better than an all season.

Mustang Freak 9/24/18 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rog13GTCS
I'm going to say No. Summer only tires have a stickier compound, and will have grip better than an all season.

:agree: