Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 9/4/18, 04:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Brakes

Little teaser. Some Box ****.
Attached Thumbnails Brakes-img_0914.jpg  
Old 9/4/18, 05:31 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Ohhh, sexy!
Old 9/4/18, 06:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Could not help myself. Look at this big sexy Red Caliper. Cant wait to get them installed this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Brakes-img_0917.jpg  
Old 9/4/18, 08:10 PM
Banned

I have to be honest. Kinda drooling right now. And I haven’t even seen the rotor.
Old 9/5/18, 05:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here you go, more parts crack. They are 'yuge' and heavy. 14". I havent attached the hat, waiting on safety pliers and wire coming tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Brakes-img_0919.jpg  
Old 9/5/18, 07:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 547 Likes on 355 Posts
And here to think I did good putting the Brembo fronts and GT500 rears on mine, That is true car ****
Old 9/5/18, 08:15 PM
Banned

Good point Siber! That's the same stuff I have on mine too.

Curious how you like the new ones Rog. Do you have the 13" rotors on yours right now, or the Brembos? It will be a HUGE difference particularly at the track if you had the smaller brakes. Use them well, brake hard and late for the turn in

Interesting design on the slots. They are symmetrical across the half of the rotor, and not uniform like most. I like that!

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 9/5/18 at 08:17 PM.
Old 9/6/18, 02:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER

Curious how you like the new ones Rog. Do you have the 13" rotors on yours right now, or the Brembos? It will be a HUGE difference particularly at the track if you had the smaller brakes. Use them well, brake hard and late for the turn in

Interesting design on the slots. They are symmetrical across the half of the rotor, and not uniform like most. I like that!
I don't think he had the Brembos as he has a GTCS. I didn't notice a huge difference going from the Brembos to the same Wilwoods (with their street pads). Actually the pedal got a little softer. I also did Motul 600 and braided stainless lines at the same time. The initial bite isn't as strong as the Brembos but that also makes it easier to drive smoothly on the street. If you stomp on them, they will stop HARD.
Old 9/6/18, 06:47 AM
Banned

Right on Pat. This is what I would expect. The factory Brembos are actually a really good brake setup for these cars.
Old 9/6/18, 11:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

This should get you excited (no homo)(NTTAWWT).
Attached Thumbnails Brakes-photo224.jpg   Brakes-photo58.jpg  
Old 9/6/18, 05:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Unfortunately, Brembo's were not an option on the GTCS model, neither were the Recaros. Stock brakes only . Hoping for a big braking improvement. Street pads came with the brakes, so I'll need to look for a more aggressive pad when I track it. I did see that Carbotech and Gloc make pads for Wilwoods, will be checking with vendors to see if they can order a set for me.

I havent had a chance to install them, too busy working, but looking to get them on this weekend.

Patrick, nice brakes, were they a fairly easy install? Any tips? I've been reading the instructions and looking at youtube videos, and it doesnt look too difficult. Of course someone who know's what they are doing make everything look easy.
Old 9/6/18, 06:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Rog13GTCS
Unfortunately, Brembo's were not an option on the GTCS model, neither were the Recaros. Stock brakes only . Hoping for a big braking improvement. Street pads came with the brakes, so I'll need to look for a more aggressive pad when I track it. I did see that Carbotech and Gloc make pads for Wilwoods, will be checking with vendors to see if they can order a set for me.

I havent had a chance to install them, too busy working, but looking to get them on this weekend.

Patrick, nice brakes, were they a fairly easy install? Any tips? I've been reading the instructions and looking at youtube videos, and it doesnt look too difficult. Of course someone who know's what they are doing make everything look easy.
I admittedly didn't install mine. One of the few things I didn't install on my own car (long tubes were the others). I had my mechanic buddy install them for me and he said there was nothing to it. The hardest part was using the provided shins to center the caliper over the rotor. They give you guidelines for a starting point though. Otherwise it's a bolt on affair.
The following users liked this post:
Rog13GTCS (9/6/18)
Old 9/7/18, 07:18 AM
Banned

I’ve never had willwoods. How much work is it to replace the pads? Do you have to take the caliper off or is there an easier way?

This is is one thing I love about the brembo calipers. You hammer out 2 small pins the the pads slide right out with the caliper still attached.
Old 9/7/18, 08:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I’ve never had willwoods. How much work is it to replace the pads? Do you have to take the caliper off or is there an easier way?

This is is one thing I love about the brembo calipers. You hammer out 2 small pins the the pads slide right out with the caliper still attached.
Even easier. There's just one screw that holds the pad bar in. Take that out and then the pads are accessible.
Old 9/7/18, 10:09 AM
Banned

That’s awesome! Makes changing pads a snap.
Old 9/8/18, 11:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

One Rotor done! I had to go buy 2 'universal' sockets to work with the 12 point bolts. And also learning to do safety wire. I think I still have some to learn on getting it better.
Old 9/9/18, 03:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

I got them installed today and ran into an issue as I was running through the brake testing. The right side makes a noise when braking, and I only hear it when I brake or slow down. It is a clicking/thunking noise, it is loud enough to hear in the cabin, and it is definitely not a normal braking sound. I double checked everything and I'm still not sure what the problem is. I check the rotor and caliper for direction. Wilwood has arrows point the wheel rotation, and I have them correct.

There is no rubbing, and there is plenty of room between the wheel and caliper. I checked the torque on the caliper and it is correct. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Rog13GTCS; 9/9/18 at 03:41 PM.
Old 9/9/18, 06:41 PM
Banned

Hmm, did you lubricate the pad shims?
Old 9/10/18, 04:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hmm, did you lubricate the pad shims?
No, but I'll look into that. What I tried after I got home from work today; Removed everything, left the hose attached to the caliper. Cleaned the spindle, rotor and hat used a wire brush got a little more dirt off, and wiped it down as good as I could. Found a small burr on the back side of one of the mounting hubs, Dremeled that off. Also took the Dremel to the leading edge of the brake pad, and ever so slightly rounded it off. The thought being maybe it has a lip that is catching the slot on the rotor. Which is what it sounds like.

Reassembled, and I went through the bedding process, and it sounds better. There is still some some noise present. I was going to let the brakes cool and go out for a spin. I found this youtube video
if you fast-forward to 1:17 and listen for 10 seconds you will hear similar to exact noise I'm hearing. Not me or my car.

The pedal is firm and it brakes hard. Under light braking I dont hear it, only under moderate/medium braking. Under heavy braking, I may hear it for just a few seconds.

If it doesnt get better after driving it more, I'm going to check for lateral run out, and after that contact Wilwood.
Old 9/10/18, 05:45 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
That is a strange one for sure and would drive me nuts as well. I'd do what 5.Monster suggested.

Quick Reply: Brakes