Notices
Deep Impact Blue

2013 DEEP IMPACT BLUE GT, Track named "The Mistress"

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/13, 04:08 AM
INKY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is a beautiful country and the roads are fun. Rode through Baumholder on the motorcycle yesterday.
Old 7/8/13, 10:02 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

It is. After getting lost we ended up coming in the back way to the city and it was all mountain roads. Pretty nice drive. Very similar to the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC area.
Old 7/30/13, 07:36 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Steve,

I have to tell you that your car was the inspiration for my very recent purchase of a 2014 DIB GT. I had originally selected Race Red when I decided to take the plunge and fully satisfy my mid life crisis - but after seeing your car - I visited a dealership that had a DIB on the floor and immediately changed my mind and became a DIB convert.

PICS to follow soon (having some touch up work done this week) - but - I am considering the same stripes from AM and was wondering what the space or gap is between the two stripes.

As they say, plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery!

Not sure I will tackle on my own - from what I understand the bumpers are a bit tricky! Checking with the dealership to see if they will install. Then plan to have Xpel film applied.

Thanks!
Old 7/30/13, 09:33 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
steve is inspiring many...

nice to see more DIBs, esp from houston...if u hv issues with dealer not installing. i could give u many installers who can do good work.
Old 7/30/13, 11:37 AM
V6 Member

Hi Shiazv,

thanks for the offer! Much appreciated! I did see your striping and really like the custom side stripe - nice!

Although I am waiting on a call back from the dealer - I also have a message into Barnett Pinstriping (they did your install?). If you can suggest any others - it would be much appreciated. If I pull the trigger on the stripes - would like to do it soon so I can then get the Xpel protection film on it (X Pert Tint is probably where I will go - they did the tinting) - already had some issues just driving on the freeway from dealer to home! Houston freeways are not a front ends best friend...
Old 7/30/13, 02:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 2014DIB
Hi Shiazv,

thanks for the offer! Much appreciated! I did see your striping and really like the custom side stripe - nice!

Although I am waiting on a call back from the dealer - I also have a message into Barnett Pinstriping (they did your install?). If you can suggest any others - it would be much appreciated. If I pull the trigger on the stripes - would like to do it soon so I can then get the Xpel protection film on it (X Pert Tint is probably where I will go - they did the tinting) - already had some issues just driving on the freeway from dealer to home! Houston freeways are not a front ends best friend...
My strips were done by dealer, they used Barnett pinstripping to get it done. I can give u other suggestions. Which part of Houston do u live. For tint I did pinnacle ceramic, which I felt turned out so good due to heat reduction not much for the looks. R u planing to come for Saleen meet.
Old 7/31/13, 04:49 PM
V6 Member

Same here on the Tint.

On the west side of H town.

Do you have a link or details on the meet?
Old 7/31/13, 04:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 2014DIB
Same here on the Tint.

On the west side of H town.

Do you have a link or details on the meet?
http://www.saleenclubofamerica.com/n...013/index.html
Old 8/18/13, 04:56 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

So I haven't updated my thread in a while. I have been busy with the family that made the journey to Germany to live here with me. My wife packed up the whole house in SC, found a renter for the house there, shipped her minivan to Germany, and flew over here with our 4 sons three weeks ago. We finally got notice that her van made it to the port located all the way up in Bremerhaven, Germany which is 387 miles away from where we live.

We had a couple of options as how to get the van from there to here. One was to have them deliver it down to us to the cost of almost an extra $1000. Not really the best method. Next was to take a train up there and drive back. I would've been okay if we had train passes already but didn't know we needed them and it would've cost us $260 just for the train ride and then almost $100 in gas, taxi, and food to get back. Again, not a good plan. The last and most cost effective option was to drive up there, pick up her van, and drive back in separate cars. Bingo!!!

We left our house at around 8AM and headed for the Autobahn. My wife hasn't really driven on the autobahn except to get from the airport to here in a diesel Opel van so that was less than exciting and she was really jet lagged then anyway. We headed up A9 towards Berlin and traffic was really light. There are lots of hills and tons of curvy sections to enjoy while we were trucking along at a leisurely 100MPH for a couple of hours. We started getting some long unrestricted sections and I looked over her way and asked her if she wanted to go fast. Now, on the Autobahn the paint lines are longer and spread apart more so when you are going fast into triple digits it doesn't really feel like it. I waited till we hit a straight section and downshifted to 4th at 100MPH winding her out in 4th and shifting into 5th till I hit 145MPH and then shifted to 6th. At this point she was giggling like a little school girl. She told me that it feels and sounds like she is in a "Jet". I agreed and then slowed down to a normal 100MPH.

We stopped for dinner and were still quite a ways away. We had to get there before 5PM to get all the paperwork from the shipping company on this end before heading to the shipping yard to collect our trusty Sedona comfort capsule. We got lots of pictures taken of the Mistress and thumbs up. We ate dinner and had a fun time trying to use our broken Deutsch. The food was great and we got back to the car and hit the road again. In case anyone is planning on coming over here be warned that you don't normally get ICE with your drink or refills.

We got close to Bremen which is just south of Bremerhaven and hit some traffic jams. I was getting a little nervous and when traffic opened up I hit the go pedal again. There was a nice 5 series BMW and a tiny Skoda hatch R-Spec that was playing around with us while we made our way up past 120MPH again. We thankfully arrived at the office at a little after 4pm and the workers in the office were already in their conference room drinking wine to close out the week. We paid our 150 Euro fee and headed to the yard with our papers and a couple of smiles.

When we got to the yard there were some rather questionable pictures up of cartoons and such near the window where you talk to the guy in charge of sending your vehicle out to you. We talk to him and I signed some stuff. Then we waited. We stood outside for about 10 minutes while I called the teenagers to make sure that they were doing okay, they were. Then my wife's chariot pulled out of the gate. The guy parked it and left the keys in it and walked away. I was kind of thinking to myself, "Is that it?". Apparently that was it. We did a walk around to make sure that there wasn't any damage and attached the temp plates then made our way to the Customs office to get our stamps for the paperwork. That was pretty smooth surprisingly and we left to get gas and start the trek back down south.

The first fill up in the van was to the tone of 101euro or $138.00. Thankfully when I buy gas on the economy I get charged the US price when using my ESSO gas card or I would never leave the area. We filled up and hit the road. As soon as we got on the Autobahn we hit traffic moving 10MPH for the next hour. This past weekend was the start of German Summer so all the college kids were on the road in their hopped up Euro rides. I had a metric buttload of kids revving motors and taking pics of my car. The whole time my wife is behind me in her van watching all the action.

We had been driving for about 4 hours and stopped at McDonald's for some coffee and filled up again. We hit the road again and after a long while I started getting super tired and didn't want to have an accident so we decided to stop and take a nap for a couple of hours to recharge. We stopped and layed out in the back of the van. We woke up around 345AM and hit the road again full of Red Bull and optimism. We were making good time now and there was almost no traffic so the drive was great. We were almost to our last 2 interchanges and got fuelled up one last time. We were both so tired that pretty much everything was hilarious. We got back in the driver's seats and hit the road one last time for the last leg of the trip. We finally got home at 730AM and hit the hay after taking showers.

We didn't crawl of bed till almost 3PM yesterday. After reflecting on the whole adventure we both agreed that we would NEVER do that again. Our days of marathon road trips are officially over. She won't be taking her van back to the states with her. We will be less two sons in our house by the time we leave here so we won't need all the room. If she doesn't decide to order a BMW for cheap before we leave then she will find a nice used Raptor when we get back to the US.

Our adventures in Europe continue......

Last edited by Stevedotmil; 8/18/13 at 05:19 AM.
Old 8/18/13, 05:37 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Great road trip....hope after few days you get all charged up n hit more road trips...I plan to visit Germany next year. Cannt wait to do 145.
Old 8/22/13, 03:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you had a great road trip!
Old 8/23/13, 01:56 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

It was nice until the drive back and traffic jams that last an hour. The clutch pedal leg was getting pretty tired at one point. I was sitting for so long a couple of times that I turned the engine off and saved some fuel. She's going into hibernation this weekend till next summer though. Sad face.
Old 8/23/13, 07:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hibernation so soon? I plan to drive mine till at least october or even the 1st snow fall.
Old 8/23/13, 01:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

She's gonna be waiting for me to get back from a Stan country till Oktoberfest season next year.

2013 DEEP IMPACT BLUE GT, Track named "The Mistress"-image-3502638388.jpg

Last edited by Stevedotmil; 8/25/13 at 07:36 AM.
Old 9/18/13, 06:53 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Just checking in to say hello to everyone in here. Miss driving her but will be doing some special trips in Europe when I get back.
Old 9/18/13, 12:28 PM
INKY

Know the feeling! Mine is already at the port here, but Not ready for pick up yet.
Old 9/18/13, 09:23 PM
V6 Member

Stay safe over there!

Still looking for someone to install 5 inch silver metallic stripes like yours (although the wife is strongly objecting - but - she does not drive it - so no worries). Just don't have the talent you do for self-install (and no desire to do this in Houston heat and humidity - although nothing like where you are at I suspect!).

Found a set of 10 inch pre-cut kit on MoPro. But - too wide for me. Really liked yours which provided me the inspiration for buying a DIB!

Thanks for your service - much appreciated!
Old 10/11/13, 11:24 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'm glad I found this forum so I could share my passion for this car with everyone else who share's said passion!!
Old 10/15/13, 11:16 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
I'm glad I found this forum so I could share my passion for this car with everyone else who share's said passion!!
I for one enjoy reading about your car's adventures across the pond. I'm sure your car is paraphrasing Dr Chandra's HAL 9000..."Will I dream?"
Old 10/16/13, 05:37 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Thanks.

Quick Reply: 2013 DEEP IMPACT BLUE GT, Track named "The Mistress"