2012-2013 BOSS 302

WTB: Pirelli Corsa Boss LS tire set new

Search this Thread

Old 8/16/12, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTB: Pirelli Corsa Boss LS tire set new

Hoping someone out there has changed their LS tires upon delivery and need to make some grage space!!! Buffalo/Niagara area.
Old 8/17/12, 08:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Why oh why would you want these piece of crap tires? They are really, really terrible in the way that they delaminate with track use.
Old 8/17/12, 09:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nota4re
Why oh why would you want these piece of crap tires? They are really, really terrible in the way that they delaminate with track use.
LOL what are you smoking?
Old 8/17/12, 09:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Not smoking anything. We've built 3 Laguna Secas for the track - have a 4th one in the works now. The first 3 track cars all ran the same events together - Miller, then Buttonwillow. All of the tires delaminated between the 3rd and 4th solid track day. Still reasonable tread - but large chunks delaminating. Dangerous. These are all experienced drivers with careful attention to tire pressures, etc. Read the forums - you will see many thers with the same experience. Its a good tire for drive-thrus and car shows so if that's your gig, you'll be happy. For the track - they are absolutely terrible.
Old 8/17/12, 09:56 AM
Bullitt Member

If you are looking for track tires we have some other experiences:

1) Hoosier R6's: Probably the best tire for the track. Great grip. It is possible to feel like superman and over drive them to the point they feel a litte greasy. Overall, a very good tire. On a big, fast track lack Big Willow, the capability of the tire may exceed the OEM suspension softness. That is, in turns 8 & 9 the tire are having so much grip the compliancy of the suspension simply feels to soft. On the Roval in Fontana last week, however, they were great. Downside is that they wear pretty fast and they ain't cheap.

2) Yokohama AD08: 2 of the 3 LS's are running this tire currently. Maybe 80-85% of the grip as the Hossiers but will last easily 2-3X more events. Also, a reasonable street tire with some rain grooves (OK for SoCal). The tire is nice and linear but when pushed toget too hot it has a little bit of a wild (slippery) side. We're very happy with this tire overall as it is a good track/street tire and more economical to use than the Hossiers.

3) Hankook RS3: This is the next tire we will put on the LS. Have spoken to a lot of BMW M3 drivers running this tire and really liking it. Many of them have run the ADO8 previously. Many of the same attributes as the AD08 but allegedly the RS3's will stay more consistenet even up in the higher temps. I recently mounted a set on an M3 and frankly wasn't very impressed with the balancing (needed more weights than the Hossiers and Yok's) but on the track the tire performed well.

I'd recommend any of these tires WAY before using the Corsas.
Old 8/17/12, 10:06 AM
Cobra Member

Hey Kendall -- got your ARP bolt set recently, installing soon. Thanks!

What other track tires are they fitting to those big 19" wheels at this point??
They're not exactly light weight, so are they just swapping to some decent 18" wheels?
Old 8/17/12, 10:06 AM
Bullitt Member

If you are looking for track tires we have some other experiences:

1) Hoosier R6's: Probably the best tire for the track. Great grip. It is possible to feel like superman and over drive them to the point they feel a litte greasy. Overall, a very good tire. On a big, fast track lack Big Willow, the capability of the tire may exceed the OEM suspension softness. That is, in turns 8 & 9 the tire are having so much grip the compliancy of the suspension simply feels to soft. On the Roval in Fontana last week, however, they were great. Downside is that they wear pretty fast and they ain't cheap.

2) Yokohama AD08: 2 of the 3 LS's are running this tire currently. Maybe 80-85% of the grip as the Hossiers but will last easily 2-3X more events. Also, a reasonable street tire with some rain grooves (OK for SoCal). The tire is nice and linear but when pushed toget too hot it has a little bit of a wild (slippery) side. We're very happy with this tire overall as it is a good track/street tire and more economical to use than the Hossiers.

3) Hankook RS3: This is the next tire we will put on the LS. Have spoken to a lot of BMW M3 drivers running this tire and really liking it. Many of them have run the ADO8 previously. Many of the same attributes as the AD08 but allegedly the RS3's will stay more consistenet even up in the higher temps. I recently mounted a set on an M3 and frankly wasn't very impressed with the balancing (needed more weights than the Hossiers and Yok's) but on the track the tire performed well.

I'd recommend any of these tires WAY before using the Corsas.
I rand the AD08 on my last supercharged GT. Im glad you let me know about the Corsas. I guess being a 60TW they aren't designed to last long. When these are done i will be going with the AD08 tires for this car.
Old 8/17/12, 10:13 AM
JPC
Bullitt Member

thanks for tire write up
..but the 3 tires you mention don't come in 19" tires (at least the last time I looked)

I too looking for replacement tires for my 2012 Boss

Top tire I'm researching is the new BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2
I do track my Boss but don't have budget or space for 2nd set of tires :-(

Any comments on BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 ?
Old 8/17/12, 10:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JPC
thanks for tire write up
..but the 3 tires you mention don't come in 19" tires (at least the last time I looked)

I too looking for replacement tires for my 2012 Boss

Top tire I'm researching is the new BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2
I do track my Boss but don't have budget or space for 2nd set of tires :-(

Any comments on BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 ?

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/de...van_neova_ad08
Old 8/17/12, 10:23 AM
Bullitt Member

All of the tires I mentioned are being mounted to 19" wheels.

Mike - my "beef" with the Corsa's is not that they wear out fast (as the treadwear rating would indicate), but that they fall apart. We ABSOLUTELY loved them for the first two days of having them on the track. GREAT grip, very linear.... SUPER GOOD. (This, I suppose, is why Ford spec'd them.) But, put a couple of more days on them and they start literally falling apart. I'd be OK with visibly wearing out - in a visibly predictable manner, but I'm, not OK with chunking and falling apart. And yes, I have a little bit of a chip on my shoulder because I was riding shotgun in one of the LS's when we had an off-track excursion at about 60MPH because of this tire issue. Driver did the right thing and got the car pointed straight - but then came the infield berms. Can you say Dukes of Hazzard? Goodbye splitter, goodbye bumper, goodbye condensor and radiator, and end of track day. Compliments of Pirelli.
Old 8/17/12, 10:26 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Kendall - can you list what sizes you are using for the Yokohama and Hankook tires? Are you using them on the stock wheels for the LS?
Old 8/17/12, 12:44 PM
Cobra Member

Just did the Boss Track Attack with my father-in-law, he drove the Boss of course, and I had to pay as a guest driver. Got to drive the school GT the first day, then the FR500s the second.

The school GTs had the BFG Comp2, I think mostly due to BFG sponsorship there. The FR500 had R1s, but the Boss were on Michelin PS2s.

The BGF Comp2s did fairly well, and the pros/instructors said nothing bad about them. Inspecting the tread revealed lots of corner wear, feathering and cupping, but no chunking. The center tread was in great shape, of course, as those cars had nearly no straight miles, all in the curves.
The pros took us out for demo runs in the school GTs, and mine was semi-drifting at 90+ through several corners, with no real loss of control.

I have the RS3s on my 09 GT, and they do great on the track, are 285s compared to the school GT BFGs at 265s. The RS3 definitely had more grip, and squealed less, but is a much lower TW tire as well.

All the 19" tires are way expensive, though not as bad as the Pirelli Corsas which are stupid rich.
I was just wondering if many Boss or LS owners are downsizing to a 18" for the cheaper rubber, and lighter wheels.

Last edited by CO_VaporGT_09; 8/17/12 at 10:19 PM.
Old 8/17/12, 09:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Kendall - can you list what sizes you are using for the Yokohama and Hankook tires? Are you using them on the stock wheels for the LS?
Each LS has a spare set of LS wheels from Ford Racing (just black instead of red, but a whole lot less expensive.)

We have been running the V12's on the street. Great tire for the price. Here's the sizes we've been running. Keep in mind we haven't tried the RS3's yet but I listed the closest sizes for the Boss (IMO).

WTB: Pirelli Corsa Boss LS tire set new-tiresizes.jpg
Old 8/17/12, 10:19 PM
Cobra Member

Ouch, those are pricey. 18s are they way to go, Enkei's or TSWs, or even the D-Force or Forgestars that Vorshlag sells.
Old 8/17/12, 10:53 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue310
I rand the AD08 on my last supercharged GT. Im glad you let me know about the Corsas. I guess being a 60TW they aren't designed to last long. When these are done i will be going with the AD08 tires for this car.
Kendall is not kidding, The Pirellis are downright dangerous. Be VERY careful if you do any serious tracking. The whole center section of my tread flew off all the way to the cords on two of my tires. Very scary.
Hoosiers are wonderful, but sure don't last long. The AD08s are very good and as Kendall said, but the hot ticket for all around may just be the new Hankooks. They will probably be my travel/track tires for next go around.

Last edited by Apollo; 8/17/12 at 10:59 PM.
Old 8/18/12, 06:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Each LS has a spare set of LS wheels from Ford Racing (just black instead of red, but a whole lot less expensive.)

We have been running the V12's on the street. Great tire for the price. Here's the sizes we've been running. Keep in mind we haven't tried the RS3's yet but I listed the closest sizes for the Boss (IMO).

Attachment 117374
Kendall, why would you not want to use the RS3 in 275/35ZR19 on the front? It will still fit on a 9" rim. Also, will the 305 fit on a 10" rim?
Old 8/18/12, 08:45 AM
Cobra Member

`Love my RS-3s, they do well in the heat, very predictable and gentle break away, and wear well, although don't do well in deep rain on the highway.

Going with the NT01 next year though, too bad they don't make that or the RA-1 in 19"sizes. Though they do with the R888, 100 treadwear, http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....8XL&tab=Sizes:

265/30ZR19 93Y $336
295/30ZR19 100Y $311
305/30ZR19 102Y $409
Old 8/18/12, 09:15 AM
JPC
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2006mach1
Kendall, why would you not want to use the RS3 in 275/35ZR19 on the front? It will still fit on a 9" rim. Also, will the 305 fit on a 10" rim?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Z222&tab=Specs

interesting the 275 35-19 RS3 will fit 9.5 rim
Old 8/18/12, 09:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Kendall, why would you not want to use the RS3 in 275/35ZR19 on the front? It will still fit on a 9" rim.
That may be a better choice.....
Old 8/18/12, 10:20 AM
Cobra Member

I have 285/35-18s on my 18x9.5 rims, fit fine.

Quick Reply: WTB: Pirelli Corsa Boss LS tire set new