Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Worth upgrading to LS swaybar?

Old 7/24/13, 08:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Worth upgrading to LS swaybar?

Running stock rims and tire sizes for standard Boss but I have utilized the Ford Racing Boss lowering springs. I have a line on the LS front and rear swaybar at a good price and an wondering if I should get an install them?
Old 7/24/13, 08:56 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No. The LS cars have different springs too so they won't be a match. Look for adjustable sway bars if you're going to change them out.
Old 7/25/13, 05:13 AM
Bullitt Member

And the reason they had different springs, shocks and sway bars was due to the R-compound tires.
Old 7/25/13, 03:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I would think you would want to get an adjustable if you're switching.
Old 7/25/13, 04:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Brandon302
I would think you would want to get an adjustable if you're switching.
+1 on this advice! Going with adjustable bars will help you with future modifications.....dampers, wheels and stickier tires etc. This will really help you dial in your set up....versus the one size fits all OEM bar.

IMHO,

Wayne
Old 7/25/13, 07:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Thx. I'll be passing on the $100 set then. On another note, I do intend to go to LS rubber at some point as budgets and time allow.
Old 7/25/13, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
Thx. I'll be passing on the $100 set then. On another note, I do intend to go to LS rubber at some point as budgets and time allow.
The Pirelli Corsas? Look elsewhere. Expensive, don't last long and chunk when pushed hard at the track. For really good street tires that can work at the track look at the Michelin PSS.
Old 7/26/13, 07:37 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
The Pirelli Corsas? Look elsewhere. Expensive, don't last long and chunk when pushed hard at the track. For really good street tires that can work at the track look at the Michelin PSS.
Let me give you a different view. While I agree with the above,I could not understand why. I had run the Corsas on my Porsche with great performance. After burning up the corsas on the front with 2.8 neg camber why. The roll center was much higher. Changes made to the front were
Whiteline adjustable sway bar with adjustable drop links. 475/lb front springs,Vorslage camber plates and AST shocks. The corsa tires are sweet for track and last. Yes they are an expensive tire and you will have trouble with any tire if you push the car hard and don't make changes to the front suspension.. Just my 2 pennies.
Old 7/26/13, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by jim woodruff
Let me give you a different view. While I agree with the above,I could not understand why. I had run the Corsas on my Porsche with great performance. After burning up the corsas on the front with 2.8 neg camber why. The roll center was much higher. Changes made to the front were
Whiteline adjustable sway bar with adjustable drop links. 475/lb front springs,Vorslage camber plates and AST shocks. The corsa tires are sweet for track and last. Yes they are an expensive tire and you will have trouble with any tire if you push the car hard and don't make changes to the front suspension.. Just my 2 pennies.
Jim thanks for the feedback on these. Most, if not all, of the poor Corsa tire wear has been on stock suspension including a friend of mine with a Boss. I've personally seen these tires chunk in the middle on their second track day with two sets of tires. No doubt they are sticky though.
Old 7/26/13, 10:39 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Jim thanks for the feedback on these. Most, if not all, of the poor Corsa tire wear has been on stock suspension including a friend of mine with a Boss. I've personally seen these tires chunk in the middle on their second track day with two sets of tires. No doubt they are sticky though.
I could not agree with you more I was one of those guys that went thru two left front tires. with the chunking and burn up. I received a lot of help from Ford Racing and Vorslag. I put my tires and rims on a 302s car and drove the hell out of it,no real problem with the tires. Problem was the front roll center on my LS . I am very happy with the performance of the car for the street and track events after the changes.. It is not a race car but has a lot of bang for your buck. I can not belive the warranty and tech. support i have been given by Ford for the money spent.
Old 7/26/13, 08:39 PM
Cobra R Member

The michelins aren't really rated for our weight, and the Bridgestone Potenzas I switched to while sticky have too much flex in the sidewalk which makes this sensitive chassis seem bouncy.
Old 7/27/13, 05:16 PM
V6 Member

I have a pair of Corsa rears. Brand new. Stickered. For sale cheap (I switched to 18" wheel).

They are a great tire, and worked really well for me. When I see people bashing this tire, my first reaction is they don't understand "tire science".

These tires require some knowledge to use properly on the track. Mainly, you need to warm them up before pushing them hard and don't over inflate them. As noted above, your car suspension should be stiff enough to handle this compound.

Read the reviews. They are stellar, but some people have bad experiences with this tire who don't understand how to run R-compounds properly or manage tire temps and pressures, so do your homework and enjoy them!

PM me if you're interested in a pair of rears. Priced to move!

Last edited by DGRacing; 7/27/13 at 05:24 PM.
Old 7/28/13, 06:13 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by DGRacing
I have a pair of Corsa rears. Brand new. Stickered. For sale cheap (I switched to 18" wheel).

They are a great tire, and worked really well for me. When I see people bashing this tire, my first reaction is they don't understand "tire science".

These tires require some knowledge to use properly on the track. Mainly, you need to warm them up before pushing them hard and don't over inflate them. As noted above, your car suspension should be stiff enough to handle this compound.

Read the reviews. They are stellar, but some people have bad experiences with this tire who don't understand how to run R-compounds properly or manage tire temps and pressures, so do your homework and enjoy them!

I wish you had fronts , I would take them. Still have a set of new rears. What size 18" tires did you put under the car?
Old 7/28/13, 03:34 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by jim woodruff
I wish you had fronts , I would take them. Still have a set of new rears. What size 18" tires did you put under the car?
I use the 18x10 302r BBS wheels. And will be getting the 10.5" versions for my wet tires.
Old 7/29/13, 02:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by DGRacing

Would be interested if I was liquid but at the moment I have an unresolved issue with RevCan. ;-) should be sorted by the fall.
Old 7/29/13, 04:06 PM
GT Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Keep in mind the Corsas were not designed for the Boss, but for the M3, so there have been issues with the tire on our car. There are a ton of tires out there that are great for the street , but if you are going to track the car you may want to go the direction the bulk of the track rats have gone -- 18s. Rims are relatively reasonable and an extra set with tires will fit just perfect in the back seat. Run the Pirellis that came with the car for the street , and go more aggressive for the track -- just an additional thought.
Old 7/29/13, 10:30 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Fastoldman
Keep in mind the Corsas were not designed for the Boss, but for the M3, so there have been issues with the tire on our car. There are a ton of tires out there that are great for the street , but if you are going to track the car you may want to go the direction the bulk of the track rats have gone -- 18s. Rims are relatively reasonable and an extra set with tires will fit just perfect in the back seat. Run the Pirellis that came with the car for the street , and go more aggressive for the track -- just an additional thought.
Going to start pricing 18" rims.
Old 7/30/13, 01:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Going to start pricing 18" rims.
Latemodelresto seems to be a good way to go, 150 a rim for the track isn't bad.
Old 7/31/13, 01:49 PM
V6 Member

I would add that don't just buy any old 18" rim. The cheapy street rims are designed for street speeds and I wouldn't run them on the track for the pounding I put down. If you want safety and lightweight performance it's worth paying extra for rims designed for the track or at least forged.

Just my opinion.
Old 7/31/13, 09:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Thinking the whole rim/tire thing might just have to wait till next year. Too much research needed and not enough time, plus I need to put some money in to fixing some very bad road rash.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Worth upgrading to LS swaybar?