Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Will Roush Axle Backs fir 2013 Boss 302?

Old 11/4/17, 09:40 AM
V6 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Will Roush Axle Back Fit a 2013 Boss 302?

Will Roush Axle Back mufflers fit the 2013 Boss 302? Every place I look they don't have the Boss listed as compatible and a few places state Roush took the Boss off the compatibility list so I am not sure whether they will fit properly or not. If so what is the part number? The ones I have been searching are Roush 421127. Car has the stock rear valance and I want to keep it that way.
Thanks,
Jon

Last edited by steevesj; 11/5/17 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 11/4/17, 12:07 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,583 Posts
If not sure, contact Roush.. Problem solved lol.
Old 11/4/17, 12:09 PM
V6 Member

Except they do not respond.
Old 11/4/17, 01:15 PM

Don't e-mail them, call them.. I've always gotten thru with much better results..
Old 11/4/17, 01:18 PM
V6 Member

They don't answer their phones. I didn't see any email option anyway.
Old 11/4/17, 03:21 PM

I know, as sometimes it can get really annoying having to wait on hold before a tech support rep finally gets on the line.. I usually find it's best to call either in the AM or mid week, as their not quite as busy on the phone lines with other customers and won't have to wait quite as long in the queue ..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 11/4/17 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11/5/17, 05:39 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
I can see no reason why they wont fit. Nothing changed from 12 to 13 except the rear valance. Bumper and tail light have nothing to do with the exhaust.
Roush mufflers are very loud. I have them and after several years I'm getting tired of the sound. But then again I also have no cats which puts the sound over the top...Lol
Old 11/5/17, 05:22 PM
V6 Member

Roush rescinded Boss 302 fitment for one reason or another so I am trying to find out what the issue is. Has anyone with a 2013 Boss installed them?
Old 11/6/17, 07:26 AM
V6 Member

I finally heard from Roush and they state they do not fit. I find it strange that there are many videos with them on the Boss. Does the Boss have a different axle back system than the GT?
Old 11/7/17, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been away from the site for awhile but recently picked up a 13 Boss which has Roush 421127 axle backs installed. They fit just fine. They are pretty loud but sound very good with the stock exhaust manifolds and cats.

Last edited by CaliforniaShaker; 11/7/17 at 09:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
boss man (11/8/17)
Old 11/8/17, 04:29 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Originally Posted by CaliforniaShaker
I've been away from the site for awhile but recently picked up a 13 Boss which has Roush 421127 axle backs installed. They fit just fine. They are pretty loud but sound very good with the stock exhaust manifolds and cats.
Thanks for confirming this. I could not see why they would not fit.
They are loud!
Old 11/8/17, 05:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
Originally Posted by steevesj
They don't answer their phones. I didn't see any email option anyway.
that is strange, I have called them before and got a quick and clear answer with no problem, they were very helpful even though I was calling about an intake that I had bought used off Craig's list . . . maybe a different phone number, pretty sure I used the number I found on their normal sales web site

anyway glad you already got the answer

Last edited by Bert; 11/8/17 at 05:51 AM.
Old 11/12/17, 10:35 PM
V6 Member

I pulled the GT500 mufflers and installed the Roush mufflers yesterday. I loosened the muffler clamp, pulled the muffler mount pin from the rubber mount closest to the bumper, then unbolted the other muffler mount. I found if you lower the rear of the muffler you can reach the bolt that is between the front clamp and muffler a little easier. I didn't have a ratchet wrench so it took a little longer to get he nut off. The new mufflers didnt line up perfectly where you clamp the muffler and pipe together so maybe that is why Roush states they won't fit. I just pulled the two together and tightened the clamp. Wow and awesome is all I can say about how they sound. The Boss sounds like a beast! I haven't run it with the side pipes closed yet but it is very loud and mean with them wide open. I'm very happy.
Old 11/13/17, 06:13 AM
Cobra Member

Now you need to remove the cats. Then you will hear loud..... Plus gain about 15/20hp.
That's where I'm at now. Ive been running roush and no cats for at least 3 years.
I've had enough and have been thinking about installing the cats back. See how I feel in the spring time. Love the power gains but the added noise wears thin on me.
let us know when your finished and how you feel.
Old 11/13/17, 07:36 AM
V6 Member

The cats will have to stay. It sounds loud enough with the quad exhaust and Oregon has emissions tests every two years when we renew the car registration.
Old 11/13/17, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by steevesj
The cats will have to stay. It sounds loud enough with the quad exhaust and Oregon has emissions tests every two years when we renew the car registration.
Think you have it bad, here in PA emission test/inspection is every year lol.
Old 11/14/17, 07:10 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Think you have it bad, here in PA emission test/inspection is every year lol.
Amen brother!!!
Old 1/3/19, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2013 Boss and have been thinking about the Roush axle back also. American muscle has them and individual before and after videos of them. I think they sound great as opposed to some of the others and at a reasonable price, but their videos dont depict a Boss but a GT without the side exhaust, Is it the Gt 500 that the Boss comes stock with? They claim that there is no additional drone. With the side exhaust open, there seems to be some now at certain speeds, more when cruising and lower RPM. Did you find any more annoying noise or drone inside the vehicle with the Roush? I believe American muscle had them for 525.99 and free 2 day shipping. Is that about what you had to pay and where did you pick them up? Also American Muscle shows an install video and they give it a one wrencher as far as difficulty. They do recommend them for a Boss. Most of our sound comes from the side pipes, which is nice and they say that most of the exhaust from the rear. Even though that is true, do you find that you really like the additional sound that the Roush gives? It sounds like you do. Thanks, looking for your response.
Old 1/3/19, 08:00 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by boss3022013
I have a 2013 Boss and have been thinking about the Roush axle back also. American muscle has them and individual before and after videos of them. I think they sound great as opposed to some of the others and at a reasonable price, but their videos dont depict a Boss but a GT without the side exhaust, Is it the Gt 500 that the Boss comes stock with? They claim that there is no additional drone. With the side exhaust open, there seems to be some now at certain speeds, more when cruising and lower RPM. Did you find any more annoying noise or drone inside the vehicle with the Roush? I believe American muscle had them for 525.99 and free 2 day shipping. Is that about what you had to pay and where did you pick them up? Also American Muscle shows an install video and they give it a one wrencher as far as difficulty. They do recommend them for a Boss. Most of our sound comes from the side pipes, which is nice and they say that most of the exhaust from the rear. Even though that is true, do you find that you really like the additional sound that the Roush gives? It sounds like you do. Thanks, looking for your response.
I believe the GT500 mufflers I pulled off were added by someone. I don't thing the Boss comes with them from the factory. I have always had drone with the side exhaust open at highway speeds. I remember driving it home for 3 hours when I purchased it with the GT500 mufflers. It drove me crazy. It is gone once I close the side exhaust. The Roush mufflers are much louder the the GT500 mufflers but do not drone. They sound great. It is very loud with the side exhaust open but again it sounds awesome. I installed the Quick Time Performance cutouts so I can close the sides if I am on the highway and want it quieter (which doesn't happen much). I just push the remote button and can open or close the side exhaust as much as I want. All the drone comes from the side exhaust.
I bought the mufflers on Amazon for $505. I was told by Rouch they do not fit but tried them anyway as others have had them and there were no others that I liked the sound of as much. It did take a little maneuvering to install them but not a big deal. They do not line up exactly perfect connecting the muffler to the pipe so you have to hold it in place and tighten the clamp down. There is movement/flex in the exhaust system so it's not a big deal. They are fairly easy to install. They line up fine in the back. I really love the sound of the Roush. I wanted the KR500 mufflers like I had on my 2010 but they don't make them for the newer cars. The Roush looks like the same type of muffler (except the tips are bolt on for the Roush). It has has a loud aggressive sound. It's funny but when i close the side pipes it seems much quieter. I am very happy with the Roush and did lots of research and listened to many videos. I don't think I would purchase any other ones. The car sounds awesome but it is definitely louder but you can keep them quiet if you keep your foot out of it. Who does that? Seriously if you keep the RPS down you won't annoy anyone but bring them up and the sound increases.
Jon
Old 1/5/19, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, what a detailed great response. Thanks so much for your time and all the info.. It sounds like you love your Boss as much as I do. So, a couple more questions if you dont mind. Did you buy the complete axle back with the Roush mufflers or just the mufflers? Like I mentioned earlier, the complete axle back and mufflers by Roush sold for 525.99 through American Muscle. Is that what you got through Amazon? Compared to all the other ones, and I also listened to many videos, I too love the Roush sound. So, you probably still have the drone at certain highway speeds or low rpm driving if you have your side exhaust open, right, nothing has changed there with the new Roush mufflers? You really sparked my interest with your addition of the Quick Time Performance cutouts. Can you tell me more? Where did you get them, how much, and ease of install, do it yourself, any extra holes drilled in dash or other places? When I get done with this reply, I will try looking it up on Google. Like you, I love keeping them open, but a long weekend fun cruise up north in MI can get a little annoying. It sounds very convenient. By the way, where are you located and how long have you had yours? I have a garage that I can heat and TV out there, so I can play with it while not driving it for the winter. Going out soon to clay bar it for spring. Thanks again for all your info and looking forward to hearing from you again. Al

Search this Thread