The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2012-2013 BOSS 302 (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f813/)
-   -   What motor oil brand to go with? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f813/what-motor-oil-brand-go-497061/)

Five.Point.Oh 6/30/11 11:39 AM

What motor oil brand to go with?

Anyone decide to keep their boss genuine?:

Motorcraft® SAE 5W-50 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
  • Top-quality motor oil required for Ford GT and Ford Mustang Shelby GT-500™
  • American Petroleum Institute (API) Service Category SM
  • Manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, synthetic base oils and performance additives that provide wear and oxidation protection under severe operating conditions
  • Resistant to deposit formation, including supercharged and turbocharged applications
  • Provides quick flow to engine parts during start-up and lubricates effectively over a wide temperature range
  • Compatible with other synthetic and petroleum-based formulations
  • Recommended by Ford Motor Company
  • Available in cases of 12 one-quart bottles
http://www.fordparts.com/FileUploads...icMotorOil.JPG

billyboss 6/30/11 11:48 AM

I am going to go with a full synthetic, not a petroleum based one like the motorcraft, thier is a good thread on the SVT forum about it

Fenderaddict2 6/30/11 12:01 PM

I don't believe the recommended oil is petrol based. Pricey stuff.

billyboss 6/30/11 12:26 PM

if you read the thread on SVT it states that it is, long read but interesting stuff

P0 Corsa 6/30/11 02:31 PM

Kendrick, absolutely staying with the oil used for the engine development and certification.

Other's will undoubtedly have different opinions, and that is fine.

Having insight as to what Ford did for the Coyote and the GT MOD5.4 engine, Motorcraft is my choice.

nota4re 6/30/11 02:40 PM

I'm with P0 Corsa. Nothing against the author over at the SVT site. He seems both very knowledgeable and well-meaning. I learned a lot from his posts. However, he continues to cite a data point in which the Motorcraft oil breaks done very quickly - where his favorite (Amsoil) retains it viscosity characteristics over time. My question is how many times did he test the Mototcraft oil. Bad test? Bad batch of oil? Supposed to be that way? I dunno. What I DO know is that Ford has the means to spend millions in research.... and they do. Viscosity breakdown is a pretty straightforward test/measurement and I am SURE no surprise to Ford.

Another datapoint is that we use this Motocraft oil exclusively in the Ford GTs that we are building. Several of our cars have dynoed at more than 1000 HP at the wheels. A subset of these cars are absolutely flogged at the track with at least 2000 mile oil change intervals. Absolutely no oil or lubrication issues ever.

5 DOT 0 6/30/11 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by nota4re (Post 6099009)
Another datapoint is that we use this Motocraft oil exclusively in the Ford GTs that we are building. Several of our cars have dynoed at more than 1000 HP at the wheels. A subset of these cars are absoluetely flogged at the track with at least 2000 mile oil change intervals. Absolutely no oil or lubrication issues ever.

This is a very useful data point, thanks for sharing.

Is the guy over at SVT an Amsoil dealer?

P0 Corsa 6/30/11 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by nota4re (Post 6099009)
I'm with P0 Corsa. Nothing against the author over at the SVT site. He seems both very knowledgeable and well-meaning. I learned a lot from his posts. However, he continues to cite a data point in which the Motorcraft oil breaks done very quickly - where his favorite (Amsoil) retains it viscosity characteristics over time. My question is how many times did he test the Mototcraft oil. Bad test? Bad batch of oil? Supposed to be that way? I dunno. What I DO know is that Ford has the means to spend millions in research.... and they do. Viscosity breakdown is a pretty straightforward test/measurement and I am SURE no surprise to Ford.

Another datapoint is that we use this Motocraft oil exclusively in the Ford GTs that we are building. Several of our cars have dynoed at more than 1000 HP at the wheels. A subset of these cars are absoluetely flogged at the track with at least 2000 mile oil change intervals. Absolutely no oil or lubrication issues ever.

Thanks, Nota4re!

Great information as well. I am sure others have their opinions on oils. There will be MANY wanting to use what they are familiar with. That's fine. But your point is well taken that Ford certainly has the wherewithall to conduct deep and costly research on which to make their recommendations.

One less thing for me to even think about.

Bueller 6/30/11 03:13 PM

+1 on the OEM oil. I plan on sending occasional samples to Blackstone Labs to get definitive results on whether viscosity changed beyond tolerable limits or the detergents were depleted, in addition to the health of the engine.

I am curious as to who manufactures the oil for Ford. Anyone know?

B-

meanmud 6/30/11 03:18 PM

I would not be shocked if the AMSOIL is a better oil, I'm certain it is, but what are the benefits with it against a very good oil that gets changed out at appropriate intervals?

For me, I always use Amsoil, but I don't think it matters :catfight:

Royal Purple? Now that's a different story....:confused:

P0 Corsa 6/30/11 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bueller (Post 6099030)
I am curious as to who manufactures the oil for Ford. Anyone know?

Bueller, I am fairly certain it is Conoco-Phillips.

smbstyle 6/30/11 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by meanmud (Post 6099033)
I would not be shocked if the AMSOIL is a better oil, I'm certain it is, but what are the benefits with it against a very good oil that gets changed out at appropriate intervals?

For me, I always use Amsoil, but I don't think it matters :catfight:

Royal Purple? Now that's a different story....:confused:

my thoughts exactly.

honestly, pick whatever synthetic is on sale at Autozone or Wal-Mart, as long as it's the same viscosity. If you take care of your car and change it at the correct intervals, it's all the same.

I cant recall seeing anyone post "man, my car ran so much better when I switched to Penzoil, much less an instance of anyone blowing their motor because they ran Castrol instead of Mobil 1....

billyboss 6/30/11 04:40 PM

A good friend of mine has a performance engine building shop and has been doing it for 30 years, he has built engines for ford, and general motors corporations,working directly with these manufactures. boats,drag cars, cup cars , lucas off road , trophy trucks,sprint cars, all for top tier professional teams, he has run numerous test on oils and swears by mobil one, just passing information along, I have used the motorcraft semi syn in my SVO, 06 Mustang GT and my Excursion, and have never had any issues, but he sees it on a engine dyno, incosistent oil pressures, viscocity differences from one batch to another, and this is with lots of testing on different brands, he states that Mobil 1 is the only consistent performer, and unfortunatly he is a chevy guy, but extremely knowledgeable about motors

meanmud 6/30/11 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by billyboss (Post 6099064)
A good friend of mine has a performance engine building shop and has been doing it for 30 years, he has built engines for ford, and general motors corporations,working directly with these manufactures. boats,drag cars, cup cars , lucas off road , trophy trucks,sprint cars, all for top tier professional teams, he has run numerous test on oils and swears by mobil one,

Just an fyi - In 30 years, Mobil 1 has been thru more iterations of formulas than Charlie Sheen has strippers.

Once a great oil (for public consumption), now an oil that can be challenged due to profits and marketability.

cloud9 6/30/11 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa (Post 6099022)
Thanks, Nota4re!

Great information as well. I am sure others have their opinions on oils. There will be MANY wanting to use what they are familiar with. That's fine. But your point is well taken that Ford certainly has the wherewithall to conduct deep and costly research on which to make their recommendations.

That pretty much sums up the way I feel about it.

Big Vito 6/30/11 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa

Thanks, Nota4re!

You could say that about many components on the Boss or any car.

LateApex 7/1/11 02:23 AM

Seems like there have been a lot of oil threads, but...guys, as much as we all love Bosses, it doesn't have some magical motor that uses oil in a completely new or unheard-of way. Everything you might ever want to know about oil can be learned at the bobistheoilguy.com forums. If you don't trust that for some reason, run some oils you like and do the Blackstone Labs testing, as previously suggested. In fact I would recommend that everyone do this periodically anyway - just be sure to share your results :-)

Anyway, there's no real need to guess - the data is there. Based on years of racing, playing the oil game, observation, and doing my own research, I shall be running Redline. I may also try Mobil 1, but Redline is easy for me to get and is shown to be superior in every category you would measure oil performance by to any other 5w50s I can get. Pricey, sure. Worth it, sure.

Bossdog 7/1/11 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by LateApex (Post 6099291)
Seems like there have been a lot of oil threads, but...guys, as much as we all love Bosses, it doesn't have some magical motor .

Yes it does!

LQQK 7/1/11 05:14 AM

Kendrick

I have been following the oil thread as well at SVT.

The information is mind boggling to me, he always seems to come to the same conclusion, Amsoil, I want to believe what he's putting out,,,but I do wonder if he has other motives.

I will change my oil in a more timely fashion than the recommended intervals to satisfy my own worries of oil breakdown.

So, I'll use Motorcraft.

LQQK 7/1/11 06:32 AM

Look what his (SVT poster) recommendation for transmission is:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...251-post3.html