The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2012-2013 BOSS 302 (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f813/)
-   -   Waxing The 2013 BOSS - Reflective Stripes (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f813/waxing-2013-boss-reflective-stripes-532769/)

FLYIN4D 9/7/14 12:53 PM

Waxing The 2013 BOSS - Reflective Stripes

What are you guys doing when waxing your BOSS to not mess up the reflective stripes? I'm sure this has been discussed on here but my search is not working. I assume no one is using wax over top of the stripes when waxing their ride.

dmhines 9/7/14 07:17 PM

You can wax over reflective stripes. They should be as smooth as standard vinyl stripes ...they are smooth on my 1971 Maverick Grabber that has reproduction 3M Reflective Vinyl stripes on it. I'm sure 2013 Boss using same material.

BaknBlk 9/7/14 09:13 PM

I have waxed over mine, no problems. Lately tho if use Meguairs Natural shine protectant on them. Supposed to have UV protectors and I figured living in AZ it couldn't hurt !!

BaknBlk 9/7/14 09:14 PM

Sorry, Natural Shine for Rubber and Vinyl

ace72ace 9/8/14 06:40 AM

You can wax over them, but then you have to deal with residue on the edges. I use painters tape to mask them off, and then when the wax is done the detail spray shines and protects the stripes. I have used both Adams and Zaino, both work well.

FLYIN4D 9/8/14 10:17 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I waxed over the stripes on my '11 GT500, but was unsure about the Boss because of a different material. Good info to know. Thanks again.

FLYIN4D 9/8/14 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by BaknBlk (Post 6848450)
I have waxed over mine, no problems. Lately tho if use Meguairs Natural shine protectant on them. Supposed to have UV protectors and I figured living in AZ it couldn't hurt !!

Where are you in AZ?

BaknBlk 9/8/14 09:34 PM

In Chandler

FLYIN4D 9/9/14 07:23 PM

Goodyear here

BaknBlk 9/9/14 09:48 PM

Not to far away.....do you ever go to the car show at the Scottsdale Pavilions ? I know quite a drive for you, but the 4th Saturday of the month is Mustang night. Last Mustang night there were probably 100 out there.

BaknBlk 9/9/14 09:49 PM

What color Boss do you have....any modifications ?

FLYIN4D 9/10/14 05:57 PM

Yes, been to the PAV's on/off the past 15-20 yrs. I'll have to roll out there on Stang night.

My Boss is Race Red. Bone stock, probably keep it that way except for some wheels, springs and possibly better brakes.

BaknBlk 9/10/14 07:22 PM

Great color !!! All I've done to mine is Forgestar CF5 wheels, Roush exhaust, Steeda boss specific springs in the rear. I'm usually at the Pavilions, weather permitting (almost to hot right now)

FLYIN4D 9/10/14 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by BaknBlk (Post 6849453)
Great color !!! All I've done to mine is Forgestar CF5 wheels, Roush exhaust, Steeda boss specific springs in the rear. I'm usually at the Pavilions, weather permitting (almost to hot right now)

Ok cool, sounds good. Shoot me a PM if you can remember the next time you're headed out there.

What size wheels did you go with? I'm thinking about going up to a 20", but not sure of the widths yet. I don't want the wheels sticking outside the wheel wells. I really like the TSW Mirabeau wheel. I just need to see them on a Stang to see if I like the look enough.

BaknBlk 9/11/14 05:29 PM

I went with 19X9.5 all the way around with 285/35/19's....to me they look good, sit flush with the fenders front and rear and clear the brakes with no issues. I would post a picture, but the website isn't letting me.

wannabe 9/11/14 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by ace72ace (Post 6848541)
You can wax over them, but then you have to deal with residue on the edges. I use painters tape to mask them off, and then when the wax is done the detail spray shines and protects the stripes. I have used both Adams and Zaino, both work well.

A Meguairs soft bristle detail brush will clean up the edges and not scratch anything unless you get seriously aggressive with it, which isn't necessary.

ace72ace 9/12/14 05:52 AM

Yeah, I'm familiar with the process for getting it off, I'd rather just tape it off and not have to bother...

FLYIN4D 9/13/14 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by BaknBlk (Post 6849453)

Thanks. Yours looks good in the avatars, so I am interested in seeing it in person or pic if you post one. I am looking several different wheels, just haven't decided yet. I've decided to not go with the TSW Mirabeau wheels I initially mentioned. I might go retro and go with the 20"Boss Motorsports 338's. Just need to see a set of those on a BOSS to decide. Then I will decide which springs to go with. Mod will probably go no further than an x-pipe for now.

Boss 0960 9/13/14 05:33 PM

I use Turtle Wax Ice Wax. Ice wax does not leave any residue in edges or crevices. It can also be used black plastic, matte finish like the Boss spoiler, etc. You can cover the whole car with Ice Wax and never be worried about cleaning up any residue. It's also extremely durable. After a year, it's still working the same as when I just applied it.

FLYIN4D 9/13/14 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Boss 0960 (Post 6850320)
I use Turtle Wax Ice Wax. Ice wax does not leave any residue in edges or crevices. It can also be used black plastic, matte finish like the Boss spoiler, etc. You can cover the whole car with Ice Wax and never be worried about cleaning up any residue. It's also extremely durable. After a year, it's still working the same as when I just applied it.

WOW! Liquid Spray?