The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2012-2013 BOSS 302 (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f813/)
-   -   Tires (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f813/tires-542841/)

Dayve 10/29/16 07:35 PM

Tires

So I knew I would need new tires for the Boss soon, they are the stock Pirelli's on there now. I took the Boss in for an oil change, and on the rack, the front tires were down to the nylon and steel belts. I did not have much of a choice, Ford had nothing in stock, and America's Tire only had the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Lucky for me, they had two left, and the front ones. I like them so far, but am posting this because I was just looking at the back ones for signs of wear, assuming they would be the first to wear out. I could only see the damage on the fronts, both on the inside of the tire, when it was on the rack, and if the tire was turned. So, when you get close to 20K miles, start looking for wear on the inner section of the front tires...

Dave

Mustang Freak 10/29/16 08:00 PM

Well Dave I'm in the same vote at 16500 miles my front tires failed inspection. Means we're driving it how it was meant to be driven. I'm never buying Pirellis again. I have all winter to find replacement rubber and need suggestions from my fellow Boss and TMS members too. :yup:

EF1 11/2/16 07:53 PM

This is pretty typical for the summer only Pirelli P-Zero's that came on the brembo equipped cars. I went through a couple of sets replacing two at a time due to a puncture at about 13k miles. I didn't want to mismatch the tires and didn't want to buy 4 when 2 were still good. i finally got to a point where I was ready to replace all 4 and went with the Bridgestone S-04 Pole Positions in 275 - 40 - 19. So far I am much happier than with the Pirelli's. The traction has been good both wet and dry and they aren't quite as harsh as the P-Zeros. There are a couple of good tire threads in the suspension brake tire tech section under 2011-2014 mods. They haven't been very active lately, but they have a lot of good information.

Dayve 11/2/16 08:11 PM

America's Tire said the inner wear could be due to an aggressive alignment, does that sound right and would you change anything?

EF1 11/2/16 08:22 PM

It could be too much negative camber or you could be toed out a little bit, but 20k on these tires isn't unusual. Do you know how much negative camber you are running? Also, how do you use the car?

Dayve 11/3/16 12:03 PM

Don't even know what camber is, although I can guess. I got 28K out of my original Pirellis, and consider that pretty good. I liked the tires but not enough to make them a MUST HAVE. The new ones on the front track around corners like crazy! I can hardly wait to add them to the back. As a side note, on the way home from Palm Springs, the wife and I heard a rattling noise coming from the right front wheel well....only when I was on the gas. Took it to the America's Tire in Temecula, where I live, and it looks like a weight is missing. There was rattling the whole way home, but none today, so the weight must have fallen off somewhere. They are going to replace the weight at noon today.

Mustang Freak 11/3/16 05:18 PM

So EF1 are the Bridgestone's any quieter than the Pirellis?

Dayve 11/3/16 05:26 PM

Got the weight replaced, the Tire guys wanted to take the Boss for a spin, HA! I was talking to them and they said the Michelin Super Sports are very good tires. They said good things about a high end Bridgestone too, but also said they thought it had less then stellar wet traction.

EF1 11/3/16 05:28 PM

I only have about 7500 miles on them so far, with 4 track days and yes they are quieter. The Pirelli's appeared to get louder as they wore. The car also grips better and is less harsh over seams on the highway. This is probably due to the larger size. So far I am very happy with them and they were considerably cheaper than another set of P-zero's.

Mustang Freak 11/3/16 05:47 PM

Not buying Pirellis too much money for tires that weren't that great to begin with.

EF1 11/3/16 07:05 PM

There are definitely better options than the Pirelli's out there. I will never go back to them for the Mustang.

Joeywhat 11/4/16 10:08 AM

20k is pretty average for summer only tires.

boss man 11/4/16 02:13 PM

I never here anything good about the stock Pirelli's. Why would ford put a sub par tire on a car that they considered a race car with a license plate. This was there holy grail come back muscle / track car.

Dayve 11/4/16 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by boss man (Post 6999880)
I never here anything good about the stock Pirelli's. Why would ford put a sub par tire on a car that they considered a race car with a license plate. This was there holy grail come back muscle / track car.

I did not mind the stock tires, but I will never buy another Ford because they put a piece of cr@p tranny in a race/performance car. Sure, it red lines at 7250 but once you get there, you cannot change gears! WTF!?!

Joeywhat 11/4/16 03:39 PM

It's not really the gearbox, rather the shifter and clutch.

They likely have a deal with Pirelli, and they're certainly not the worst tires they could put in. They do offer decent grip and middle of the road service life. They're a very middle of the road tire.

You'll find that most manufacturers do not put the best possible tire on their vehicles.

Mustang Freak 1/19/17 03:12 PM

Ok my fellow TMSers I'm looking at BFG
g-Force Sport Comp 2's and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's for Miss Scarlett. Any of you guys run these and what are your thoughts. I'm looking for three things in these tires. Quiet, Grip and Decent Wear. I'm not tracking or dragging this car just normal spirited road miles. Plus I don't want to pay crazy money! Thanks in advance. :yup:

Dayve 1/21/17 11:48 AM

I have been happy with my choice so far. Not sure about the others....

typesredline 1/21/17 12:24 PM

Mustang Freak. I have no experience with the goodyears. But the bfg gforce sports are ok tires. They have long wear life. But are only sticky for the first couple thousand miles. Also they are ultra loud.

Mustang Freak 1/21/17 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dayve
I have been happy with my choice so far. Not sure about the others....

What was your choice? I've also added Good Year eagle F1 a/s 99y and also Eagle super car
Content all extreme DW.

Joeywhat 1/21/17 02:14 PM

I had BFG comp-2's on my Focus and they weren't any louder than the stock continental all seasons. Good grip, too.

I have the Nitto 555 gen 2 on right now, they aren't too bad. Needs to be pretty warm to get excellent grip, but they do well in the wet.