The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2012-2013 BOSS 302 (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f813/)
-   -   Sold my 2011 GT...need a Boss 302 in my life. Any tips on what to look for? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f813/sold-my-2011-gt-need-boss-302-my-life-any-tips-what-look-538129/)

MRGTX 7/21/15 07:18 AM

Sold my 2011 GT...need a Boss 302 in my life. Any tips on what to look for?

Hey, guys.
I just sold my 2011 GT and I'm actively searching for a Boss in the New England area.

Can anyone offer any tips on what to check when looking at a used one? Are there any Boss-Specific things that need to be taken into consideration? How important is the Recaro/Torsen option package?

I'm also contemplating ordering up a 2015 GT Performance Pack/Recaro (for about the same money) and I hear that it "should" outrun a Boss on a road course. Has anyone driven both to compare?

Any feedback (or leads on a nice one for sale) would be most appreciated!
-Mike

Brandon302 7/21/15 07:56 AM

I would say the Recaro package is pretty essential if you plan to track the car. I would look to see when the car was built to see if there are any TSB's that are applicable and if they were done, as well as if they had any documented oil consumption issues. I think there were issues with the original track key when the cars came out so you may want to see if it was ordered with the trackey and if it was applied early on and then driven with it. If you are looking at the 15 but want the rawness of the Boss why not look into a GT350 for next year when the allotment is much higher and people won't be able to sell them at stupid prices.

MRGTX 7/21/15 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Brandon302 (Post 6937679)
I would say the Recaro package is pretty essential if you plan to track the car. I would look to see when the car was built to see if there are any TSB's that are applicable and if they were done, as well as if they had any documented oil consumption issues. I think there were issues with the original track key when the cars came out so you may want to see if it was ordered with the trackey and if it was applied early on and then driven with it. If you are looking at the 15 but want the rawness of the Boss why not look into a GT350 for next year when the allotment is much higher and people won't be able to sell them at stupid prices.

Thanks, Brandon!
Are the oil consumption issues a deal breaker?
Is this something that is covered under warranty? IIRC, even the oldes Boss 302s should have another year of powertrain warranty...

Was there a a firmware update? Did that fix oil consumption?

GT350 is out of my price range...and I hate to say it but the S550 bodystyle is a negative point, IMO.

The info is massively appreciated! Thanks!
-Mike

Brandon302 7/21/15 09:29 AM

I should have said excessive or continued oil consumption. I believe as the motor broke in I still had a little oil consumption, not as much as some have stated. This to me would indicate piston ring issues or maybe scoring in the cylinder or a PCV issue to have continued oil consumption past the break in period. Firmware update for? If you are meaning the trackey I believe it was a tuning issue which has since been sorted out, I would just be leery if someone had been running around for a while on the original trackey, though it could be just fine.

Dayve 7/21/15 12:11 PM

Pick a color,....

then pick which year you like, then make sure it has the Recaro Torsion Bar option. If you buy one, it means you will probably sell it one day, so buy one with the sought after option.

I broke mine in for almost 1000 miles. I really do not use much oil at all. I have put two quarts in to top my Boss off over a 3 year span. If you get a '12, I would probably put an after market vented hood on. The engine runs hot, and the vents on the '13 are a necessity.

Make sure you like the transmission. I hate it.

Dave

Brandon302 7/21/15 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dayve (Post 6937720)
then pick which year you like, then make sure it has the Recaro Torsion Bar option. If you buy one, it means you will probably sell it one day, so buy one with the sought after option.

I broke mine in for almost 1000 miles. I really do not use much oil at all. I have put two quarts in to top my Boss off over a 3 year span. If you get a '12, I would probably put an after market vented hood on. The engine runs hot, and the vents on the '13 are a necessity.

Make sure you like the transmission. I hate it.

Dave

Torsen differential not torsion bar silly. +1 though, also read up on all the issues people have with the trans and see what has fixed what issue. If you find a low mileage Boss 12 or 13 I would swap the stock clutch out for something better and get a shifter/bracket either the new MGW or the Blowfish to align the shifts. That should save the trans from any damage done because of the ****ty shifter and clutch and actually allow you to shift at red line every time.

Coyote5-0 7/21/15 02:02 PM

Why didn't you just put Boss suspension and maybe a tune on the 2011??

Brandon302 7/21/15 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0 (Post 6937743)

Subtle difference like the motor, fancy VIN, and the fact that the Boss's weigh less due to less sound deadening may have influenced him.

davesvt2000 7/23/15 06:38 PM

Have you seen the orange 2012 for sale on craigslist down by the cape?

It is decked out with LS pieces, extra wheels and tires, rollbar, etc. for $39k.

MRGTX 7/30/15 08:47 AM

Guys, the feedback and insight is massively appreciated...thanks to everyone!

While an S197 Boss is almost certainly going to be my next Mustang, it's not happening just yet.

The opportunity was presented to buy my car back! I found a mint 2007 GT500 which I looked at with the "new" owner of my 2011 GT and he liked the GT500 more just as I was starting to really miss my GT.

The registration had yet to be switched over, I handed the check back, and once again, I'm back in my 2011 :D

Sometimes there are benefits to selling your beloved car to friends or family members!

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0 (Post 6937743)

While there are many reasons why this isn't quite the same thing (most notably is the brilliant Roadrunner version of the 5.0) that has more or less been my plan since the Boss came along in late 2011.

laserred38 8/5/15 12:35 PM

Sold my 2011 GT...need a Boss 302 in my life. Any tips on what to look for?

Wow I missed your last post. LOL what a turn of events. What are your plans now?

MRGTX 8/7/15 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by laserred38 (Post 6940171)
Wow I missed your last post. LOL what a turn of events. What are your plans now?

Well, I have the boss fascia, boss quad exhaust, suspension upgrades...perhaps next up would be a Torsen axle? LS brake cooling package?

I love the Tiger Racing heat extractor hood that was made for the Boss 302S cars...

In the mean time, I will continue to drool over your Boss cars and plan for my next ride.

I am really happy to have my GT back. This car is tied with my 1997 Miata as being the most enjoyable car I've ever owned...and for a car to be "as lovable as a Miata" is possibly the highest praise I could give. :D

Thanks again for the insight and info!

SpectreH 8/7/15 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by MRGTX (Post 6940451)
Well, I have the boss fascia, boss quad exhaust, suspension upgrades...perhaps next up would be a Torsen axle? LS brake cooling package?

I love the Tiger Racing heat extractor hood that was made for the Boss 302S cars...

In the mean time, I will continue to drool over your Boss cars and plan for my next ride.

I am really happy to have my GT back. This car is tied with my 1997 Miata as being the most enjoyable car I've ever owned...and for a car to be "as lovable as a Miata" is possibly the highest praise I could give. :D

Thanks again for the insight and info!

My previous DD was a 1999 Miata. Great cars that handle extremely well. We enjoyed mine so much my wife bought herself a 2003 Miata SE (blue, with gray leather and canvas top, 6 speed). They may not have a lot of power, but they do drive well.