Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Mobil1 5W-50 on sale: $5.79

Search this Thread

Old 3/20/12, 11:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bolecailey
For those who are considering redline, IMHO, I think redlines 5w50 is to thick for these cars outside of a pure racetrack oil. It is closer to a 60wt and it does not shear at all. If it was me, I would run the 0w40 as it is a moderately heavy 40wt that does not shear much at all and is closer in wt to what the factory fill is before the Motorcraft shears.
This is fairly sensible. I mix up a fair bit of track time myself, and in general drive like a miscreant, so I stick with the 50 weight, but if I was street-only, driving somewhat calmly, I'd go lower with the Redline as well.
Old 3/20/12, 01:40 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the notification. Just picked up 3 cases from my local store.
Old 3/20/12, 03:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Motor220122
Thanks for the notification. Just picked up 3 cases from my local store.
Ditto and thanks Doug for the part number, the store said no way on the 5-50 .... until I said check this number

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 3/21/12 at 05:57 PM.
Old 3/20/12, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

I got three cases, the guy at the counter related this was like a buck thirty below their cost per quart, so I had him order two more cases...............easy sell.

FYI,

The sale ends on the 31st of March.
Old 3/21/12, 11:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Just ordered 3 cases of Mobil 1 from Napa in New Braunfels at $5.79/bottle as stated in earlier emails. Thanks for the tip!
Old 3/22/12, 07:09 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by LateApex
True story...couple of guys I knew of on the forums with Shelby's had VOA testing done on Motorcraft and Redline 5w50. The Motorcraft tested lower than the 600 ppm of phosphorus minimum in the Ford B-spec, while the Redline exceeded the top-end spec of 800 ppm. So the Redline didn't "meet" Ford's B-spec (it exceeded it in this one area), but the Motorcraft 5w50 didn't meet Ford's B-spec, either :-)

Bottom line is, both Redline and Mobil1 have been proven in testing to wear better, with less shear, than Motorcraft. No dogma, no opinion, just lab analysis. B-spec aside (which Motorcraft itself sometimes won't meet in testing), run your Mobil and trust the science. Personally, I live really, really close to Pegasus Racing, and as such I can get Redline easily and relatively cheaply, so that's what I do. But I would be fine with Mobil as well if I had a local, cheap source.
Serious question; Did they shake the bottle before sending the oil out for analysis? The Motorcraft 5W50 full syn has a reputation for the additive package settling in the bottom and testing out of spec with used samples testing to spec.

Although I did bump into a post on Bob the oil guy's forum where somebody sent in a half used bottle that had been well shaken and it still returned poor numbers.
Old 3/22/12, 08:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bob

Serious question; Did they shake the bottle before sending the oil out for analysis? The Motorcraft 5W50 full syn has a reputation for the additive package settling in the bottom and testing out of spec with used samples testing to spec.

Although I did bump into a post on Bob the oil guy's forum where somebody sent in a half used bottle that had been well shaken and it still returned poor numbers.
These guys had submitted samples before - obviously I cannot tell you in absolutes, but I will assume they followed instructions properly.
Old 3/23/12, 07:25 AM
GT Member

It does not. I would run it without fear, though many will disagree with me. There are a lot of Motorcraft only guys on here. I am not one of them. Motorcraft 5w50 is the only readily available oil that meets Fords Spec.
I'm a little confused on this one; the Mobil 1 doesn't meet spec but it sounds like it is being widely used. I would be concerned it there was an engine failure in a motor without spec oil that there would be an issue. Doesn't seem worth the risk to me for $20ish.
Old 3/23/12, 11:44 AM
Bullitt Member

It's proven better by the science, and the actual oil analysis. I am less concerned with the spec, per se, than what is actually happening in my engine, which the lab analysis tells us. I'm not looking for a warranty claim here, I'm looking for a 2-300k engine. Also, you are less likely to need a warranty claim with better fluids :-)

In any case, motor oil isn't stamped with a serial number or manufacturer name or anything. In the case of Ford's Spec-B, the phosphorus is the usually main issue, and all that really has to do with ultimately is preserving the catalytic converter. It's not like it's going to cause your engine to fail, and further, I don't see any way scientifically they could prove that caused an engine failure in court, because it simply wouldn't. In any case, they can't automatically just tell what you were using - too many oils have similar characteristics and additives.

Everybody is so quick to pull the "void your warranty" trigger regarding oils, and yet, if you change your oil regularly with any half-decent stuff, scientifically proving that minute oil spec differences caused an engine failure is nearly impossible to prove, even if they did try and void your warranty. It's really much ado about nothing. Better to run the best stuff, and change regularly - and do oil analysis from time to time for yourself, to make sure of what's really going on.

I am not a big fan of running an oil spec just to say I am running a spec - I ultimately need to know what's happening in my motor. Experience and science has shown me that there's better stuff available. YMMV.
Old 3/23/12, 12:09 PM
GT Member

All makes sense LA;

If you go into the Mobil1 site and let the computer help you decide what oil for your Boss, you get a message back that says:

Special Requirement; No Product in US
No products available in the US meeting requirements for this make/model.
Old 3/23/12, 01:00 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by LateApex
It's proven better by the science, and the actual oil analysis. I am less concerned with the spec, per se, than what is actually happening in my engine, which the lab analysis tells us. I'm not looking for a warranty claim here, I'm looking for a 2-300k engine. Also, you are less likely to need a warranty claim with better fluids :-)

In any case, motor oil isn't stamped with a serial number or manufacturer name or anything. In the case of Ford's Spec-B, the phosphorus is the usually main issue, and all that really has to do with ultimately is preserving the catalytic converter. It's not like it's going to cause your engine to fail, and further, I don't see any way scientifically they could prove that caused an engine failure in court, because it simply wouldn't. In any case, they can't automatically just tell what you were using - too many oils have similar characteristics and additives.

Everybody is so quick to pull the "void your warranty" trigger regarding oils, and yet, if you change your oil regularly with any half-decent stuff, scientifically proving that minute oil spec differences caused an engine failure is nearly impossible to prove, even if they did try and void your warranty. It's really much ado about nothing. Better to run the best stuff, and change regularly - and do oil analysis from time to time for yourself, to make sure of what's really going on.

I am not a big fan of running an oil spec just to say I am running a spec - I ultimately need to know what's happening in my motor. Experience and science has shown me that there's better stuff available. YMMV.
I agree. Despite all the warranty voiding fear from using non factory recommended motor oil, I have never seen a case where a warranty was voided from this. I think any manufacturer is going to have a hard time voiding a warranty as long as you use an appropriate weight oil from any reputable company.
Old 3/23/12, 01:13 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree. Despite all the warranty voiding fear from using non factory recommended motor oil, I have never seen a case where a warranty was voided from this. I think any manufacturer is going to have a hard time voiding a warranty as long as you use an appropriate weight oil from any reputable company.
Really?? This is an actual thing. Sounds ridiculous and never crossed my mind.

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 3/23/12 at 01:14 PM.
Old 3/23/12, 01:20 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Really?? This is an actual thing. Sounds ridiculous and never crossed my mind.
People being worried about warranty voiding for using a non Ford spec motor oil? Yes, there are people who worry about that. I got into a real long oil debate on this forum and there were plenty of people saying they would only run motorcraft oil for this car or an oil that meets Fords spec because of warranty concerns and Ford Engineers "designed this Motor to run with Motorcraft 5w50" .
Old 3/23/12, 07:57 PM
GT Member

ordered 5 cases today. warranty already void with CAI, tune and aftermarket exhaust. My dealer loves the fact that I am using it for autocross. they have too many customers that just squirrel the good cars away somewhere
Old 3/23/12, 09:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kyfigfam
All makes sense LA;

If you go into the Mobil1 site and let the computer help you decide what oil for your Boss, you get a message back that says:

Special Requirement; No Product in US
No products available in the US meeting requirements for this make/model.
The site will tell you the same thing for Shelby's, too - but even so, Shelby owners have used 5w50 Mobil 1 with good, documented results.
Old 3/23/12, 10:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Ordered 3 cases yesterday, will be in today, and picked up 2 cases of 5w20 for my truck.

I spent more on oil today than I did tonight on lap dances and beer at the strip club

Last edited by davesvt2000; 3/23/12 at 10:08 PM.
Old 3/29/12, 09:18 AM
JPC
Bullitt Member

I just called Napa auto in Plano
going to get 4 six packs @ $5.79/qt....I should be good for 3 oil changes
The sale is OVER 3-31-12...end of month
Old 3/29/12, 09:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Good to know. I'll pick up some Mobil 1 since my car still likes to eat oil. That and my dealer hoses me with their price of Motorcraft because I'm the only one who needs full synthetic so they keep it on hand just for me lol
Old 3/31/12, 04:40 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by VA Boss
Have you ever considered the possibility that the oil that you think you saved a bundle on could be Chinese counterfeit Mobil 1 and may be in fact be nothing more than cooking oil? Seriously! The Chinese are flooding are markets with cheap counterfiet goods of all kinds right now. This is becoming a huge problem and our government has not yet begun to address this. The Chinese are trying to collapse our economic, telecommunications, and energy markets. They are already infiltrating our advanded weapon systems with counterfeit electronic components that wont work properly during time of war. Also, they are conducting relentless informational warfare against all our governmental, defense, corporate, and infrastructure systems. Someone in our government needs to connect the dots before its too late. In the mean time, if you find something in the marketplace that seems too good to be true then beware. It's probably counterfeit.

VA Boss
Seriously? I think you can trust that NAPA has real Mobil 1. A quick google search did not reveal any cases of someone buying fake Mobil 1 in the U.S.. Every instance I found was in a foreign language.
Old 3/31/12, 04:41 PM
Bullitt Member

And how would one know if this oil was in fact counterfeit? Btw, yours was one conspiratorial post if there ever was one.

Quick Reply: Mobil1 5W-50 on sale: $5.79