Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Maintaining the vinyl stripes...

Search this Thread

Old 3/25/13, 11:37 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Anyone here have any loose/faulty stripe problems? I took mine through a touchless carwash (I know I got enough grief already no further comments needed please stay on subject) and it shredded my wide stripe from the front of the hood to about 2/3 rds way back. It also nicked off part of my BOSS decal. Anyone else have to replace any stripes?
Old 3/25/13, 01:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Anyone here have any loose/faulty stripe problems? I took mine through a touchless carwash (I know I got enough grief already no further comments needed please stay on subject) and it shredded my wide stripe from the front of the hood to about 2/3 rds way back. It also nicked off part of my BOSS decal. Anyone else have to replace any stripes?
I've heard of it happening. I personally don't have any vinyl though. You haven't tried taking it to the dealer yet?
Old 3/25/13, 04:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes but from the winter. passenger side fender is missing a bit, I'm guessing from grinding into / through snow banks.

My hood looks to have taken an impact from something (rocks / salt / winter filth) and cracked one of the smaller stripes and now dirt is getting under it and causing it to lift a little.

For the fender I bought the replacement stickers $280 cost, ouch! For the hood I'm going to try and warranty if they won't I'll fix it for now I don't want to know how much the hood stripes are.

On another note these stripes have me thinking of going with 2012 boss stripes on my 13. Thoughts? I'm sure I wouldn't have the same issues at least with the hood.
Old 3/25/13, 04:29 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffL
yes but from the winter. passenger side fender is missing a bit, I'm guessing from grinding into / through snow banks.

My hood looks to have taken an impact from something (rocks / salt / winter filth) and cracked one of the smaller stripes and now dirt is getting under it and causing it to lift a little.

For the fender I bought the replacement stickers $280 cost, ouch! For the hood I'm going to try and warranty if they won't I'll fix it for now I don't want to know how much the hood stripes are.

On another note these stripes have me thinking of going with 2012 boss stripes on my 13. Thoughts? I'm sure I wouldn't have the same issues at least with the hood.
Sorry to hear that again Gary

She'll be "patched" up in no time. Pun intended
Old 3/25/13, 05:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird.. I noticed that in your pic earlier and thought you modded it that way lol.

On another note, I was pressure washing my GT/CS and the side stripe started coming off. I gasped! I put it back in its rightful place and hasn't budged since.
Old 3/25/13, 07:21 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,676 Likes on 1,198 Posts
Originally Posted by ace72ace
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...oduct_Code=Z-6

This stuff works great, after a wash and dry, spraying this stuff on shines them up and provides UV protection.

ZAINO = Awesome. I've been using Zaino products for a while now and love them. Nice car, by the way.
Old 3/25/13, 09:04 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks! Love this ride. After a long winter of tooling around in the 97 Merc, I'm ready for some fun. For some reason I can't take corners or on ramps at the same speed. Go figure.

Your RS3 looks pretty sharp too.
Old 3/27/13, 06:59 PM

I use Griot's Garage products and have been clay baring, polishing and waxing the stripes along with the rest of the car. I use their random obital and have never noted any problems. I do use a soft toothpick to go along the edge of the decal if I notice some clay, polish or wax buildup. I do the same thing to my 2007 Shelby GT, which has vinyl stripes that a lot of guys have had all sorts of problems with but mine still look like new.
Old 3/27/13, 07:21 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,676 Likes on 1,198 Posts
Originally Posted by ace72ace
Thanks! Love this ride. After a long winter of tooling around in the 97 Merc, I'm ready for some fun. For some reason I can't take corners or on ramps at the same speed. Go figure.
Your RS3 looks pretty sharp too.
Thanks!
Yeah, I feel your pain, although my daily drier is pretty fun. I'm dying to drive this car as it is still cold in the Northeast and snow melting here and there. These ultra high performance tires will not handle the cold weather well.
Old 8/27/13, 06:44 PM
Cobra Member

Anyone have issues with water spots? I washed my Boss, dried it right away but still have water spots on the hood stripe. I've tried polishing with Zaino Z5 and while the stripe is very shiny, the water spots remain. Any suggestions on how to remove the water spots would be appreciated.
Old 8/27/13, 08:19 PM

I have the S on my passenger fender looking like its starting to peel. Been debating on taking to dealer but don't want some hack replacing the stripe and not lining it up.
Old 8/28/13, 05:55 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
it seemes like from all the post about stripe issues in all different threads. The 2013 has more problems. It's just my observation.
Old 8/28/13, 11:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

FYI people Synthetic waxes leave no white residue. So this is what I do.
I use a synthetic sealer wax over the stripes. this also smooths out the edges of the stripes so that natural waxes do not build up so easy. Then I wax the entire car with a good Carnuba.
Old 8/28/13, 11:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SoDakMac
I use Griot's Garage products and have been clay baring, polishing and waxing the stripes along with the rest of the car. I use their random obital and have never noted any problems. I do use a soft toothpick to go along the edge of the decal if I notice some clay, polish or wax buildup. I do the same thing to my 2007 Shelby GT, which has vinyl stripes that a lot of guys have had all sorts of problems with but mine still look like new.
Same here I use only Griots on my show winners. See my other post in this section on what I do for my stripes.
Old 8/30/13, 07:42 AM
Cobra Member

I've tried Zaino Z5 and Gloss Enhancer, Zymoil Wax Cleaner, Griots Fine Polish even household vinegar - still have water spots on the hood stripe...grrr
Old 8/30/13, 11:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangFanatic
I've tried Zaino Z5 and Gloss Enhancer, Zymoil Wax Cleaner, Griots Fine Polish even household vinegar - still have water spots on the hood stripe...grrr
Clay bar?
Old 8/31/13, 12:27 PM
V6 Member

Get some mcguire's 105 and 205 polish. I listed both because the 105 will remove scratches from vinyl/ paint and the 205 will complete the process. This is the best stuff on the market for removing scratch's and stains from paint and vinyl that I have found. I got a major bird bomb on my stripe and was ready to get the hood painted, tried this as a last ditch effort and it made me a very happy man. It's only a couple of bucks a bottle and well worth it. I get it from autogeeks.com. You won't be disappointed.
Old 8/31/13, 12:34 PM
Cobra Member

+10000 on the McGuires

Both compounds are excellent!! Use with Lake Country pads, finish up with Z6 or Adams Detail spray, then apply your fav wax or polish.
Old 8/31/13, 07:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by racered302
Get some mcguire's 105 and 205 polish. I listed both because the 105 will remove scratches from vinyl/ paint and the 205 will complete the process. This is the best stuff on the market for removing scratch's and stains from paint and vinyl that I have found. I got a major bird bomb on my stripe and was ready to get the hood painted, tried this as a last ditch effort and it made me a very happy man. It's only a couple of bucks a bottle and well worth it. I get it from autogeeks.com. You won't be disappointed.
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I also tried clay bar and while it made the surface smooth, the spots remain. I have to have the cleanest stripes out there...
Old 8/31/13, 11:36 PM
V6 Member

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I also tried clay bar and while it made the surface smooth, the spots remain. I have to have the cleanest stripes out there...
You won't be disappointed. But remember, I don't have a 2013, but vinyl is vinyl. Post up the results when your done.