The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2012-2013 BOSS 302 (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f813/)
-   -   How the Boss will fare in the future. (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f813/how-boss-will-fare-future-538755/)

Automagically 9/8/15 01:23 PM

How the Boss will fare in the future.

Have no backing for my question, just a general curiosity. With the GT350 entering the market at close to $48k, do y'all think the Boss will keep its value like it has the last few years?

From what I can tell, the lynchpin for the new Shelby is the steering but that may not be much of a lynchpin. Where the greatness for the Boss is mostly the handling.

It's an interesting position to be in but I feel the value of the 350 will overtake the Boss, or it should, though I feel the Boss' resurgence will be down the road a few years.

Thoughts on how the Boss' future looks? Admins if this is already being discussed then let me know. I didn't see it anywhere.

=HYPERDRIVE= 9/8/15 05:21 PM

For performance stand point, its already obsolete, standard 2015 GT can outpace it or match it, and soon enough new stock Camaro SS will be as good or better.
Boss will most likely retain its value as it was a limited number produced car, and we all know people just love numbers and rarity. For racing and not looking into rarity or value of the car ( or possibility of value down in the future) I can see a lot of people trading their boss's for the GT350 as its a major upgrade performance wise.

TripleBlack14 9/8/15 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by =HYPERDRIVE= (Post 6945371)
For performance stand point, its already obsolete, standard 2015 GT can outpace it or match it, and soon enough new stock Camaro SS will be as good or better.
Boss will most likely retain its value as it was a limited number produced car, and we all know people just love numbers and rarity. For racing and not looking into rarity or value of the car ( or possibility of value down in the future) I can see a lot of people trading their boss's for the GT350 as its a major upgrade performance wise.

I don't see the Boss losing much value, or perhaps even be worth original MSRP. Don't forget, the base GT350 will still be a fair bit over sticker once ADM is and the tax differential is added in, and that can make a used Boss look very attractive. It's still a performance contender and there are those Mustang folks who prefer the S197 styling over the S550.

berzerk_1980 9/8/15 06:19 PM

How the Boss will fare in the future.

All I can say is I hope you're right OP. The Bosses are pretty cool and if they were cheaper I might be able to afford one.

Automatic 5.0 9/9/15 05:38 AM

First, I love the Boss 302 and would love to have one. But here is my take on modern collectibles.
Look at 2001 Mach 1 prices. Collectible cars (collectibles in general) are way overdone and have been for 20 years now. You have this version and that version and these options and unique colors, etc. 30th Trans Am's, 35th Camaro SS, 90's Corvette ZR1, 2001ish Mach 1, 03-04 Cobra, Challenger R/T, even the PT Cruiser and Prowlers were seen as something great along with the Thunderbird retro thing back in 2002.
The only car that has gained value is the Ford GT. Good luck getting one of those. The 03-04 Cobras and 30th Trans Am's still seem to do okay if in mint condition.
The Boss is a great car but it is just another car thrown into the mix of collectibles along with 10 other versions like the Hertz rentals and dealer striped GT350's.

Evil_Capri 9/9/15 05:52 AM

Just a quick correction . . . 2003-2004 Mach 1 . . .

Automagically 9/9/15 10:28 AM

I totally agree that the Boss is now outpaced with the new GT. I don't know enough about the S550 to say but I think the Boss is kind of becoming the e36 M3 of its time. A great drivers car that people will forget paces well and takes modifications fairly easily. Is it the best? No, but is it more fun?

I really can't say. I do know the numbers don't lie but the experience may still be a selling point for the Boss. As much as I want a base GT350, I'd like to think the Boss will hold its own going forward.

That said, I'm pretty impressed with the new mustang numbers. We'll see I guess. Seems like the Boss is still holding pretty strong value. I remember telling myself I was going to get a 04 cobra when I got back from Iraq but it never happened and a lot has changed since then.

TMSBOSS 9/14/15 11:33 PM

As A Boss Owner I am happy with the car.

If I was chasing the fastest, newest, most sought after car TODAY, I may consider selling.

I do enjoy the Boss.

Value?? Just saw a 2012 sell for $35000 in a private sale. Had the car for 4 years and it went down 7 k in value from new. Not bad.

UOP Shadow 9/15/15 10:05 AM

The cheapest I've seen the new GT350 is $65K with the tech package. I don't expect that you'll ever see them sell for sticker like the GT500s did. I never saw a Boss sell for sticker or less.

Like others said, the new cars used the BOSS as the performance benchmark. The Boss will not out-perform them without significant upgrades. The good thing about the Boss cars is the limited numbers.

Enjoy what you have or trade it in for something you'll enjoy more.

I'm waiting to see if the new GT500s are going to be V8 or TTV6. If they are TTV6, I'll keep ours. If not, I'll probably trade for something newer that handles better.

Beefster 9/15/15 01:03 PM

Soon all the excitement about the Hellcat will fade into the sunset.
All cool cars are only worth what someone will pay. Cars now are produced in such large volumes the rarity is becoming less of an issue.

TxBoss23 10/14/15 10:33 AM

While the new Drag Pack equipped 15s might be as fast or faster around a track than the Boss it isn't nearly the same experience driving it. I picked up a 12 LS this summer and my friend has a new 15 with Drag Pack. The experience of driving the two cars is night and day. The Boss revs much quicker, sounds way better and just gives a thrill the stock 15 doesn't. A real "car guy" would mostly likely choose the Boss over the 15 any day unless he was planning on doing a lot of mods to the 15.

I want a GT350R but I won't pay over sticker for one. I bought my first Boss, a standard 13 for 1k under sticker in February of 2013. So a little patience and the right opportunity will come along and I'll pick up a GT350R in a year or so when I can get it for sticker or less. I think the Laguna Secas and the GT350Rs will hold their value very well for a long time. The standard models of each not as much.

GT_Dave 10/15/15 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by TxBoss23 (Post 6950059)
I want a GT350R but I won't pay over sticker for one. I bought my first Boss, a standard 13 for 1k under sticker in February of 2013. So a little patience and the right opportunity will come along and I'll pick up a GT350R in a year or so when I can get it for sticker or less.

With the projected production numbers for the GT350R @500/year, they will always be at a significant premium. The situation isn't even close to what the Boss production was at 4,000+ per year. I'd be very surprised to hear within the next couple of years, that someone picked up a new or 1 year old R version in excellent condition for less than $5K over the sticker.
I plan to be at the track a lot more next year with my GT350, it would be a lot more difficult, and more costly to try to do that with a GT350R.

exgto 10/16/15 06:40 AM

The boss is in a class by itself.

The new car may get around the racecourse as fast as the Boss, but I have never seen a new mustang run a 1/4 mile as low as the Boss. Moreover. I'm the first to admit the boss has capability beyond my driving skill, so what good would a better handling car do me save for bragging on spec sheets.?

On the subject of charisma, what sold me on the Boss is what that car does to me when I drive it. Of the dozens of muscle cars I have owned, few really grabbed me and thrilled me like the Boss. The feel, the sound, the looks, the visceral performance.....this car has SOUL!!!!

The S197 Boss 302 is a gorgeous design. Deftly showing direct homage to the classic Mustangs of the past. No offense to those that like the new car, but I don't at all care for that styling, and I'm amazed at how many mustang fans share my disappointment.

The Boss 302 will always be regarded as the pinnacle of the S197. A car beyond worthy of its name, a car that to the shock of so many achieved legendary status for the way it beat pricier phenoms like the M3.

The boss is landmark modern performance car, and people that know cars will always bow to it regardless of what the flavor of the month happens to be.

mhazelwd 10/16/15 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri (Post 6945439)
Just a quick correction . . . 2003-2004 Mach 1 . . .

2001ish Mach1 ???

hmmmm

eric n 1/1/16 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by UOP Shadow (Post 6946292)
The cheapest I've seen the new GT350 is $65K with the tech package. I don't expect that you'll ever see them sell for sticker like the GT500s did. I never saw a Boss sell for sticker or less.

Like others said, the new cars used the BOSS as the performance benchmark. The Boss will not out-perform them without significant upgrades. The good thing about the Boss cars is the limited numbers.

Enjoy what you have or trade it in for something you'll enjoy more.

I'm waiting to see if the new GT500s are going to be V8 or TTV6. If they are TTV6, I'll keep ours. If not, I'll probably trade for something newer that handles better.

I was able to get my gt350 tech for $1 under sticker 58k and some change. I know that not many have be able to procure such a deal, but deals can be had if you work at it and are patient.

That said the Boss is an amazing car, and just because something out there out performs it, shoudn't make driving the boss any less fun. I saw a Porsche 918 at a coffee and cars event last weekend. So, I've kind of given up on being the most spectacular performer on the street.

Within a year or so there will be a camaro more potent and that's ok. Shortly after that the next gt500 will come out. All the while I will drive the heck out of my GT350 with giant smile on my face.

Bill1000 1/9/16 10:05 AM

[QUOTE="Automagically;6945476"]I totally agree that the Boss is now outpaced with the new GT. I don't know enough about the S550 to say but I think the Boss is kind of becoming the e36 M3 of its time. A great drivers car that people will forget paces well and takes modifications fairly easily. Is it the best? No, but is it more fun?

I really can't say. I do know the numbers don't lie but the experience may still be a selling point for the Boss. As much as I want a base GT350, I'd like to think the Boss will hold its own going forward.

That said, I'm pretty impressed with the new mustang numbers. We'll see I guess. Seems like the Boss is still holding pretty strong value. I remember telling myself I was going to get a 04 cobra when I got back from Iraq but it never happened and a lot has changed since then.[/QUOTE

The recent road tests of the GT350 show that the Boss is actually a little faster 0-60, and after that the 350 edges out the Boss. It's surprising since the Boss is 80 horses short of the 350. Most likely related to the lower weight of the Boss and the lower friction of a straight rear axle along with better torque at lower rpms.
the Boss is a great performer and more practical car than the 350 and the engine of the Boss will be more durable without the torsional vibrations of the 350

Bill1000 1/9/16 10:25 AM

The Boss is actually faster 0-60 than the gt350. It Also has a more durable engine without the torsional vibration of the flat plane.

Skrapmetal 3/4/16 05:09 AM

Clean examples of the 93 cobra, the 00 Cobra R, the Terminator, and the 13-14 GT500's will likely all maintain great value in the coming years. Hell, 93 Cobras are selling for around $20k if they are low miles and clean.

I could see the Boss 302 falling into that group.

UOP Shadow 3/4/16 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bill1000 (Post 6961325)
The Boss is actually faster 0-60 than the gt350. It Also has a more durable engine without the torsional vibration of the flat plane.

Does that mean current Mustang GT is faster than GT350 0-60?

trackpack13gt 3/4/16 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by =HYPERDRIVE= (Post 6945371)

No the s550 gt are not quicker than a boss or a gt. There are significantly heavier. Even the new camaro ss weight is only getting close to the gt.