2012-2013 BOSS 302

Gauge's Install

Search this Thread

Old 12/10/11, 05:36 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Mounted my Gauge pod last night with all the gauges and connections to the gauges completed. I was able to screw the screws into the dash without drilling. I use a ratchet and just bare down on it and after about 12 turns the screws grabed the plastic backing under the dash and threaded in. I just had to drill out the center hole for the wires.
I did notice when mounting the pod to the bracket was that there is not alot of room inside the pod with the gauges.
ZOLIDER: are those plugs going to fit inside the gauge pod when you mount it to the bracket?? Also where are you planning to pull power from for the gauges and the gauge lights?
As for the templet, it should of came with one on the back of the mounting directions. No big deal though.
One thing I did defferent was: I only pulled the trim from the gauge cluster on the dash. I didnt pull the center trim and A/C vents. I was able to push the wires down through the hole on top of the dash and with a hanger I was able to grab the wires and pull them and feed them under the dash to the hole for the sound tube. Thats as far as I got.
Old 12/10/11, 08:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust Behind the Dashbard? Already?

Zoldier,

Why is there rust already on the metal behind the dashboard? Do you live in a humid climate area? See photo
Attached Thumbnails Gauge's Install-028.jpg  
Old 12/10/11, 09:09 AM
Bullitt Member

I got the gauges mounted and the wires routed this morning. No issues with fitment. My box didn't come with any instructions for some reason. Just the pod.

I was thinking the same thing about the rust. Only thing I can think of is that the car was at a port and on a ship for two months when I shipped her over to Italy.
Old 12/10/11, 09:22 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Originally Posted by Zoldier
I got the gauges mounted and the wires routed this morning. No issues with fitment. My box didn't come with any instructions for some reason. Just the pod.

I was thinking the same thing about the rust. Only thing I can think of is that the car was at a port and on a ship for two months when I shipped her over to Italy.
Being at sea for 2 months will do it. was the car inside the hull of the ship or inside a container up top? I work at a port where cars are shiped all the time. the ocean air is hell on the metal. new cars that are imported and exported are coated before there shiped to help protect the vechicle. What may of happened when you car was shiped, someone may have left the window open. If it open just a little the salt air will do it's dirty work.
Old 12/10/11, 09:41 AM
Bullitt Member

I believe it was in a container. Not 100% sure though.

Here are some pics from this morning. All I need to do now is connect the power and the sensors. I tried to use the radio harness for power but it stayed lit the whole time. So now I have to find another source from the fuse box.

I was able to use the stuby.

The self tapping screws were a breeze and only $.89.

I split the wiring so I could run the power from the fuse box.
Old 12/10/11, 02:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Great writeup. What a PITA!
Old 12/12/11, 08:38 AM
Cobra Member

ZOLIDER: where are you taking power from for the gauges?
Old 12/12/11, 09:48 AM
Bullitt Member

ZOLIDER: where are you taking power from for the gauges?
Can you reach up and disconnect the plug for the cigarette lighter plug? I think this is switched power and would be a good source for power if reachable.
Old 12/12/11, 11:39 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nota4re
Can you reach up and disconnect the plug for the cigarette lighter plug? I think this is switched power and would be a good source for power if reachable.
Cig lighter is not switched. It is constant hot.

Best place to tap for power is the passenger footwell fuse box. I used one in there for my radar detector in my GT.

A simple bussman add a tap on a switched fuse. I use the same line on all my 12v accessories now.
Old 12/12/11, 03:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
Cig lighter is not switched. It is constant hot.

Best place to tap for power is the passenger footwell fuse box. I used one in there for my radar detector in my GT.

A simple bussman add a tap on a switched fuse. I use the same line on all my 12v accessories now.
you are correct. just checked the lighter.......hot all the time. do you have a picture of a bussman add a tap on a switched fuse. I like your idea..Thanks!
Old 12/12/11, 08:15 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by boss man
you are correct. just checked the lighter.......hot all the time. do you have a picture of a bussman add a tap on a switched fuse. I like your idea..Thanks!
I don't have a photo of my exact install, but I used one of these:
Amazon.com: Bussmann BP/HHH ATM Add-A-Fuse: Automotive Amazon.com: Bussmann BP/HHH ATM Add-A-Fuse: Automotive

And then ran a 14ga power wire along the top of the passenger footwell, right under the glovebox to the center console. Makes a great 12v power line for non-high draw applications such as radar detectors, electric gauges, relay switches, etc.
Old 12/12/11, 11:29 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't have a photo of my exact install, but I used one of these: Amazon.com: Bussmann BP/HHH ATM Add-A-Fuse: Automotive

And then ran a 14ga power wire along the top of the passenger footwell, right under the glovebox to the center console. Makes a great 12v power line for non-high draw applications such as radar detectors, electric gauges, relay switches, etc.

Thanks for the link. I'm going to go with that. I checked a few fuses already but all were hot. Do you know which one you used?
Old 12/13/11, 06:07 AM
Cobra Member

I don't have a photo of my exact install, but I used one of these: Amazon.com: Bussmann BP/HHH ATM Add-A-Fuse: Automotive

Are they mini fuses in the footwell?? and will a 10 amp fuse be OK?
Old 12/13/11, 08:12 AM
Cobra Member

Yes they're mini fuses down there.

I used one of the body control modules. I dont remeber which one exactly but its switched.
Old 12/13/11, 08:39 AM

There are mini fuses in the footwell, at least on my 09 bullitt they were. I mounted the LS gauge pod with AEM gauges and had no problem using the add a fuse. 10 amp should be more than enough, but you might want to check what is needed for the gauge. I really can't remember which ones I used for it, I know I had some pictures but I can't seem to find them. One thing I do remember the first one I used was for the radio and I had a really annoying buzz coming through the speakers. After switching to a different fuse the buzz went away.
Old 12/13/11, 09:12 AM
Cobra Member

Yes they're mini fuses down there.

I used one of the body control modules. I dont remeber which one exactly but its switched.

Originally Posted by texasmustang65
There are mini fuses in the footwell, at least on my 09 bullitt they were. I mounted the LS gauge pod with AEM gauges and had no problem using the add a fuse. 10 amp should be more than enough, but you might want to check what is needed for the gauge. I really can't remember which ones I used for it, I know I had some pictures but I can't seem to find them. One thing I do remember the first one I used was for the radio and I had a really annoying buzz coming through the speakers. After switching to a different fuse the buzz went away.

Thankyou guys, you have been a huge help. It now looks like I have some work to finish up. Gauges call for a 3amp fuse. I bought the fuse holder. What a simple soulition.
Old 12/13/11, 01:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Not sure if your gauges have the red and white wire like mine, but if so are you wiring them all together?
Old 12/13/11, 04:06 PM
Cobra Member

Not sure if your gauges have the red and white wire like mine, but if so are you wiring them all together?

my gauges did not come with wires?? there Ford racing gauges like yours except only 1/2 sweep. I supplied my own and wired the gauges inside the pod. each gauge has 5 wires:
Hot and ground for lights = 2
hot and ground for the gauge power = 2
one wire for the sending unit = 1
my hot and ground for the lights on the gauges are wired into the light switch for parking lights. So when I turn on my lights the gauge lights come on.
as for the hot and ground for the gauge power, I will tie them into one feed that goes to the fuse box with a 5amp fuse this weekend. This is what I bought to tie in at the fuse box....
Thanks to LEwis26 and texasmustang65

Last edited by boss man; 12/13/11 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12/13/11, 10:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Boss man. I'm going to the local electronics store this weekend to see if they have one of those. Amazon can take quite a bt to ship here and I'm not very patient when it comes to my toys.
Old 12/14/11, 05:33 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks Boss man. I'm going to the local electronics store this weekend to see if they have one of those. Amazon can take quite a bt to ship here and I'm not very patient when it comes to my toys.

Got mine at PEP BOYS. I would think an automotive store over there would carry it.

Quick Reply: Gauge's Install