Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Ford no longer does track key?

Search this Thread

Old 8/5/16, 10:58 AM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ford no longer does track key?

This is a response I received after 2 months of waiting for a dealership to get the track key.

Mike,

I spoke with ford performance parts on your track key. They only sold the kit for a 2 month span due to software issues.
They stopped production because none of the programming works so all customers who have it still aren’t able to gain the performance
and options that are supposed to come the track key. The representative I spoke with said that they are still working on trying to figure out a fix
for the problem. Currently there is no expected release date of when this will be taken care of or when they are going to re-release this.

I am sincerely sorry for the poor communication that has taken place on this issue. If you have any further questions please give me a call.
I tried to reach you by phone but wasn’t successful from the number I was given.

Is this true? If not, can someone direct me to someone in mid to south west Michigan who will do track key flash?

Thanks
Old 8/5/16, 12:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
I have heard the TracKey is no longer available, but the story I heard indicates it's due to a change in the IDS software and dealers can no longer perform the flash. Even people who've purchased it have to send their ECU to Ford Performance to get reflashed.

Trackey Discontinued

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...3&share_type=t

Last edited by berzerk_1980; 8/5/16 at 12:42 PM.
Old 8/5/16, 03:54 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So does the track cal for 2013-14 GTs also work for a 13 boss? Or is there another tuner I can buy to accomplish what track key did? Launch control. Engine braking. All that
Old 8/5/16, 07:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mikes70mustang
So does the track cal for 2013-14 GTs also work for a 13 boss? Or is there another tuner I can buy to accomplish what track key did? Launch control. Engine braking. All that
I'm a GT owner so I'm not sure. But honestly without the convenience of switching tunes with the key I'd be looking at a dyno tune.
Old 8/5/16, 07:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Not that I know of. I know tuners can play with the engine braking, but the launch control is almost always done with a 2 step.
Old 7/5/17, 03:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
2012/2013 BOSS TracKey tune is back! Retails $689.00 per Ford Performance. Discounted to $573.85 at Levittown Ford site.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-MBTKA
Old 7/9/17, 05:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chorse
2012/2013 BOSS TracKey tune is back! Retails $689.00 per Ford Performance. Discounted to $573.85 at Levittown Ford site.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-MBTKA
So it is back at twice the price?
Old 7/9/17, 05:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Dayve
So it is back at twice the price?
appears so, but apparently this 2.0 version has some additional features;
Kit comes with a Procal 2 calibration tool with the exclusive TracKey calibration and a performance air filter. Additionally-this tool offers the ability to modify tire size and gear ratio settings in the calibration.
Old 7/10/17, 01:12 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by chorse
appears so, but apparently this 2.0 version has some additional features;
Kit comes with a Procal 2 calibration tool with the exclusive TracKey calibration and a performance air filter. Additionally-this tool offers the ability to modify tire size and gear ratio settings in the calibration.
For twice the price. Those features don't even come close to what they want.
Now if they also offered more HP and maybe the original Loppy Idle.
The loppy idle was what many people looked forward to. Then Ford (after many cars were sold already) pulled the rug out from under the early owners. I was one of them and it left a mark on my feelings towards Ford.

I would love to get TK. But for the money and what it offers... I just cant see it.
What also left a mark is when they offered TK to GT owners. TK was to be a Boss only option when it first was announced for the 2012 and 2013.
If FORD held true to Boss only Track Key install. I would say yep got to have it to complete the Boss package. I now went with an after market tune and can not see spending anything towards TK. However these are just my feelings. Others may feel different and that's OK.
Old 7/10/17, 01:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by boss man
For twice the price. Those features don't even come close to what they want.
Now if they also offered more HP and maybe the original Loppy Idle.
The loppy idle was what many people looked forward to. Then Ford (after many cars were sold already) pulled the rug out from under the early owners. I was one of them and it left a mark on my feelings towards Ford.

I would love to get TK. But for the money and what it offers... I just cant see it.
What also left a mark is when they offered TK to GT owners. TK was to be a Boss only option when it first was announced for the 2012 and 2013.
If FORD held true to Boss only Track Key install. I would say yep got to have it to complete the Boss package. I now went with an after market tune and can not see spending anything towards TK. However these are just my feelings. Others may feel different and that's OK.
The lopey idle is included. According to the Ford Performance link the new TracKey includes:

- Driver adjustable Launch Control, or "2-step engine speed limiting"
- Driver adjustable Pit Lane Speed Control
- Lopey idle

The other list was just for the ProCal tool.
Old 7/11/17, 01:05 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
The lopey idle is included. According to the Ford Performance link the new TracKey includes:

- Driver adjustable Launch Control, or "2-step engine speed limiting"
- Driver adjustable Pit Lane Speed Control
- Lopey idle

The other list was just for the ProCal tool.
Sorry I should of been more clear.
I was speaking of the lopey idle that was advertised when TK was being designed. Its what many of us thought we were getting. That's why TK took so long to come out. I think my car was 6 months old before they finally offered TK. But what they offered was different form what was sold. That's because TK could not pass 50 state emissions and the lopey idle was watered down to barley nothing. If you ever heard the original Lopey idle to what you get today..It's night and day difference.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.
Old 7/12/17, 01:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

I was speaking of the lopey idle that was advertised when TK was being designed. Its what many of us thought we were getting. That's why TK took so long to come out. I think my car was 6 months old before they finally offered TK. But what they offered was different form what was sold. That's because TK could not pass 50 state emissions and the lopey idle was watered down to barley nothing. If you ever heard the original Lopey idle to what you get today..It's night and day difference.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.
Ah got it. I never heard the prototype, wish I had.
Old 7/16/17, 04:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I will probably get it if it goes on sale or something, just to have the "complete" Boss package. No added horsepower kind of makes it a take it or leave it item though.
Old 7/16/17, 10:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

I will probably get it if it goes on sale or something, just to have the "complete" Boss package. No added horsepower kind of makes it a take it or leave it item though.
On the GT version there is a noticeable bump in low end torque, which is better than horsepower IMHO.
Old 7/17/17, 03:51 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Even though they claim no horsepower or additional torque it truly makes mine one nasty feeling and sounding bvtch!!! The only battery I've had to replace so far has been on my red key fob! My grey key fob is seldom ever used!
Old 7/23/17, 01:43 PM
Bullitt Member

I must made sure my Red Key was still in the Boss glove compartment, where I thought I left it. It was, so, if or when it goes on sale, I will be interested, but not for over $400, at the very most! Ford sux on so many levels.....
Old 9/8/18, 06:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was speaking of the lopey idle that was advertised when TK was being designed. Its what many of us thought we were getting. That's why TK took so long to come out. I think my car was 6 months old before they finally offered TK. But what they offered was different form what was sold. That's because TK could not pass 50 state emissions and the lopey idle was watered down to barley nothing. If you ever heard the original Lopey idle to what you get today..It's night and day difference. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

As an original 2012 Boss owner and longtime forum follower, boss man is absolutely correct in his statements. The original TK “prototype” lopey idle which Ford showed audiences around the country is NOTHING like the final version they decided to sell Boss owners. Ford subcontracted the TK software development to Badillo Engineering in Ann Arbor, Mi. Evidently Badillo had difficulty getting the lopey idle CARB certified and delayed the software rollout many, many months from the initial reveal. Dave Paracek at one of the Mustang gatherings announced that TK was finally available but he was mis-informed and we waited another 8 months for Ford/Badillo to finally get California (CARB Executive Order D-598-8) to accept the software for Boss vehicles sold in their state. And the lopey idle was completely watered down from original intent. And not worth the money in my opinion.
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
On the GT version there is a noticeable bump in low end torque, which is better than horsepower IMHO.

I am not sure of the applicability of TK to any other Mustang engine controllers so I do not really know if the software can be loaded onto a GT. The Boss engine controller (ECU) I was told was unique with multiple safeguards to try to prevent “tuners” from modifying the TK software and thus possibly effecting warranty claims for engine damage. I will state that you should know engine horsepower and torque ARE related. Thus if you increase engine torque at a given engine RPM you also increase engine horsepower. HP = (Torque x RPM)/5252. And remember Ford stated many times that TK does NOT give the owner any more engine power (torque or hp).