Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

The Boss is Back! 2012 Boss 302

Search this Thread

Old 8/16/10, 05:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by todd03blown
Well the info I have read they are saying the LS will be around the 300 mark just like the 2000 Cobra R. I also believe the guy that I quoted (he has been involved in the boss program for 28 months) about the #'s being far less than the ~7000 1970 Boss 302's. No offense to Bullitt owners but this car is a big difference between a 2008GT and a Bullitt version but that is my opinion.
I'm not saying it's the same a the Bullitt package, but for Ford it is essentially the same thing. They need to SHOW PROFIT and given recent problems in the auto sector this is even more necessary than in the past. I have no problem seeing the LS package being a small number, that makes sense to me as most people will probably not opt for that model and it's not like it's a completely different animal from the regular production Boss 302- so Ford will make it's profit from the sale of both models.

Most people want to think the car they are paying premium prices for is a limited production, or is exclusive in some way, that's just human nature. But we are talking CARS here and automakers are in business to make money. If the Boss 302 really does a very small production run then the price for this car will be off the charts! I just don't see that happening.

Another thing you must consider is the Ford dealerships. They are all going to want to be able to offer this model for sale to their customers. Again I will go back to the Bullitt production. Here in Canada the Bullitt allocation was basically 1 Bullitt per dealership. I think 500 Bullitt's (roughly) were allocated to Canada, which has 500 Ford dealers. Each dealership was allocated 1, if they chose not to receive a Bullitt then another dealer could then order 2nd Bullitt.

Ford is not going to screw over their dealerships and not let them have a Boss 302. Just having one on your showroom floor is going to bring traffic into a dealership- which is a good thing for both Ford and the dealership. They may not buy the car or even buy a Mustang but they might buy another Ford model. This is how the auto business works.
Time might prove me wrong but I see the numbers being very close to the Bullitt's production run.
Old 8/16/10, 05:12 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Whammer
Sorry, my mistake, I see you can have either white or black trim on each color choice.
Do you have a link to the color choices?

I want White on White.

LQQK
Old 8/16/10, 05:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by MadMoose
the center pony badge in the grill and roof paint make the car look really awkward. I like the performance stuff and recaros but as far as looks this makes me sad
Yes, there are definitely a few questionable design choices.
From certain angles the car just looks tacky, the stripes/trim colors just don't blend well with the line of the car.
It may drive and handle better than any Mustang ever made but when that garage door rolls up you want your eyes to fall in love with what they see. I always get that feeling when I look at my 08 GT500.
I'm hoping the colors and trim options aren't set in stone and that Ford reads enough of these types of posts to reconsider them.
Old 8/16/10, 05:15 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the Boss 302 really does a very small production run then the price for this car will be off the charts! I just don't see that happening.

[I think 500 Bullitt's (roughly) were allocated to Canada,]

[The initial plan (before our Saudi 'friends' $4 gas) was 7000 US, 700 CA for a total of 7700 units.]
Old 8/16/10, 05:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by LQQK
Do you have a link to the color choices?

I want White on White.

LQQK
1st page of this thread, in the 1st post it mentions the colors available and that they have a choice of white or black trims. Although I would assume white on white is not one of them.
Old 8/16/10, 05:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco

[The initial plan (before our Saudi 'friends' $4 gas) was 7000 US, 700 CA for a total of 7700 units.]

Yes, thank you! It was a few years ago I bought my Bullitt and my memory was a bit off.
Old 8/16/10, 05:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Attended the MCA National in Virginia Beach this past weekend. As you would guess, the news on the Boss was a big topic of conversation. Talk is cheap as they say but there were quite a few folks saying they had been waiting for another Boss for years and sure were going for it.

The understanding was that Ford was limiting it to a two year production run which is apparently true and that the 2010 would have the 69? stripe package and the following year would have the 70 package. There was a strong feeling that the production run would be increased due to what happened with the 03 Mach and that the 70 stripe package was strongly preferred.

I think the dealer's adds $$$ on this baby initially and for some time are not going to bring a smile to anyone's face.

Last edited by Ranger; 8/16/10 at 06:06 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 8/16/10, 06:08 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ranger
I think the dealer's adds $$$ on this baby initially and for some time are not going to bring a smile to anyone's face.
I agree plus I am hearing on the Boss board that they expect these to start hitting the streets in April which is not out of my timeframe as I have to turn my leased vehicle in in Feb 2011....Looks like I will just end up with a 2011GT with all the option and glass roof then in a couple years buy one of these and put it in the garage after someone bought it and figured they don't want it any more and not have to pay the premium.
Old 8/16/10, 06:09 PM
Cobra Member

I'm not saying it's the same a the Bullitt package, but for Ford it is essentially the same thing. They need to SHOW PROFIT and given recent problems in the auto sector this is even more necessary than in the past. I have no problem seeing the LS package being a small number, that makes sense to me as most people will probably not opt for that model and it's not like it's a completely different animal from the regular production Boss 302- so Ford will make it's profit from the sale of both models.

Most people want to think the car they are paying premium prices for is a limited production, or is exclusive in some way, that's just human nature. But we are talking CARS here and automakers are in business to make money. If the Boss 302 really does a very small production run then the price for this car will be off the charts! I just don't see that happening.

Another thing you must consider is the Ford dealerships. They are all going to want to be able to offer this model for sale to their customers. Again I will go back to the Bullitt production. Here in Canada the Bullitt allocation was basically 1 Bullitt per dealership. I think 500 Bullitt's (roughly) were allocated to Canada, which has 500 Ford dealers. Each dealership was allocated 1, if they chose not to receive a Bullitt then another dealer could then order 2nd Bullitt.

Ford is not going to screw over their dealerships and not let them have a Boss 302. Just having one on your showroom floor is going to bring traffic into a dealership- which is a good thing for both Ford and the dealership. They may not buy the car or even buy a Mustang but they might buy another Ford model. This is how the auto business works.
Time might prove me wrong but I see the numbers being very close to the Bullitt's production run.
Good points...only time will tell...
Old 8/16/10, 10:54 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Jchandler
Drool! Kona Blue with Black stripes here I come!
J, I was thinking the same thing, flat black would be cool on the Kona Blue. So I did a quick Photoshop with some black stripes and about a 1 to 1.5 inch drop Enjoy!!

Braden
Attached Thumbnails The Boss is Back! 2012 Boss 302-boss302-kona-blue-blk-low.jpg  
Old 8/16/10, 11:52 PM
GT Member

Ok guys, was bored and decided to PS the Laguna Seca on how I think it should really look
Here are 3 versions, let me know what you think looks best.
Attached Thumbnails The Boss is Back! 2012 Boss 302-boss302-ls-black-gray.jpg   The Boss is Back! 2012 Boss 302-boss302-ls-black-gray2.jpg   The Boss is Back! 2012 Boss 302-boss302-ls-black-black.jpg  
Old 8/17/10, 12:10 AM

Wow, excellent work! It's amazing what a few small changes can do to the look of the car. It looks meaner and more purposeful now instead of a caricature. Are you paying attention Ford? The middle one is my favorite but all of those are an big improvement over the regular Red/Black LS
Old 8/17/10, 01:33 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by elbowz11
Wow, excellent work! It's amazing what a few small changes can do to the look of the car. It looks meaner and more purposeful now instead of a caricature. Are you paying attention Ford? The middle one is my favorite but all of those are an big improvement over the regular Red/Black LS
Thanks! Seams like they are trying extra hard to make it stand out, its a Boss 302, a Ford Legend, a classic!! Lets make it look like the car that it is. I guess I could see the orange dayglow and black if it is a track only car, that way its easier to spot on the track, but wait, it will be way out in front of the pack, so it will be easy to spot anyway
Old 8/17/10, 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Black on black on black BOSS 302, I choose YOU!!

Old 8/17/10, 06:40 AM

About the stripe colors. . .from the initial press release, the language says there will be black or white stripes that match the hood/roof, depending on the car's exterior color. I don't see anywhere where it states you have the option of selecting black or white stripes in addition to the exterior color you select.??
Old 8/17/10, 06:56 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by trahsub
About the stripe colors. . .from the initial press release, the language says there will be black or white stripes that match the hood/roof, depending on the car's exterior color. I don't see anywhere where it states you have the option of selecting black or white stripes in addition to the exterior color you select.??
That was my point when I posted White on White.

LQQK
Old 8/17/10, 06:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Wow, that second one is the way it should be!
Old 8/17/10, 07:04 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Minicobra
J, I was thinking the same thing, flat black would be cool on the Kona Blue. So I did a quick Photoshop with some black stripes and about a 1 to 1.5 inch drop Enjoy!!

Braden
This is exactly the way I am hoping to be able to order the car.

Old 8/17/10, 07:40 AM

Great job on the PS work....I hope this will be an option.

This really made a huge difference.
Old 8/17/10, 08:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

Excellent post and I agree on all counts! Experience and common sense prevail. Let's put this into perspective. In Dekalb Il. 25,000 pop. both of the Ford dealers got a 2011 GT500 and so did Sandwich which is 20 miles south. So you are telling me this car is hard too find? The Boss will be no different and I have stated before Ford will meet consumer demand for the Boss 302 as they have for every other mustang made in the last 30 years. They are in business to make money, not make collector cars! 35,000 new GT500's on the road ought to prove that. In another words in 2011 alone Ford will make more GT500's than in the entire 67-70 run.

Quick Reply: The Boss is Back! 2012 Boss 302