Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Kenwood/Maestro Solution for Ford Mustangs!

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/13, 08:48 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenwood/Maestro Solution for Ford Mustangs!

Hi Everyone,

We are pleased to announce the launch of our new Ford Mustang Installation kit (MUS1) and wanted to provide some info about the solution. The kit works in 2010-2014 Mustangs without factory navigation.

To install the complete solution including the dash kit, you need three things:

1. Compatible Kenwood radio - currently any 2013 DNN/DNX double din navigation. These range from $850 for the most basic unit to $1700 for the Android based, connected model. You will also need the SiriusXM SXV200V1 sat radio tuner if you want to add back sat radio. The factory tuner is inside the factory radio you are pulling out.

2. Maestro RR (p/n ADS-MRR): Web programmable interface module that will connect radio to car bus and retain factory steering wheel controls. You can even program 2 radio features per steering wheel button. You can see the product here: http://maestro.idatalink.com/product...product_id/102

3. MUS1 (p/n ADS-KIT-MUS01): Installation kit including dash bezel, customizable button bar, radio mounting brackets, storage pocket with 2 flush mount USB ports and plug and play T-harness to simplify the wiring job. You can see this part here: http://maestro.idatalink.com/accesso...product_id/285

If you want to simulate what happens when you program this solution, you can click here: http://maestro.idatalink.com/weblink/demo/demo-rr

Choose a 2010-2014 Ford Mustang Base from the car selector
Select your steering wheel
Choose a compatible Kenwood radio (you can use DNX890HD for this example)
Choose iDatalink Serial Cable for the Connection Type
Choose the MUS1 in the ACCESSORY Step
Choose the Factory systems you wish to retain (you have to have these to retain them)
Assign your steering wheel buttons as you like and assign shortcuts to the button bar in the kit. BTW, the kit comes with matching button tops for all the choice you can make that you snap on to the bar after you program.
Choose your units - English or Metric
Flash Your Module - simulates programming of module
Download guide to see how the install really works!

Now on to the features:

Climate screen IN THE RADIO! (see attached pic) - Full climate integration right in the radio. When using the MUS1, you also get a button bar with 5 buttons. Three of them can be assigned as shortcuts to climate features you want quick access to. No secondary LCD and radio sits higher in dash.

Gauges screen (see attached pic) - Pick any 5 gauges from a list of custom gauges and add them to a screen in the radio.

Vehicle info screen (see attached pic) - New screen that will show you tire pressure at each tire for the factory TPMS. Also, any open door and battery voltage. In addition, if you get a check engine light, you can see the code and attempt to clear it.

Dedicated iDatalink Port on radio (seee attached pic): You can add Maestro AND install an aftermarket satellite radio tuner at the same time. No more choices. This is a big deal since when you remove the factory radio, your satellite tuner is removed with it. 2012 Kenwood radios did not have this port.

Secondary display - Remains active and will show meta data not only for the Ford sources (Sync, phone, etc) but for the Kenwood sources too! RDS data in tuner, meta data in CD/DVD and iPod/USB screens.

Note: We cannot retain clock as it's inside the radio you take out. Kenwood radio does not tell us the time. We hope they will support it next year.

Hope you all like! Mustang kit began shipping today and you can see it here: http://maestro.idatalink.com/accesso...product_id/285

BTW, Maestro can be used with any radio for basic radio replacement and steering wheel functions but, in order to retain Sync, use the MUS1 and do the rest of what is indicated in the pictures, Maestro must be installed with one of the 2013 Kenwood DNN or DNX Navigation radios. We'd love to work with other radio brands, but there is R&D required and they need to hear from customers that they want these kinds of solutions to make the decision to do it. If you want <<Insert brand here>> radio to work with Maestro, write or post to them and ask them for it.

I will monitor forum for questions, so ask away!

Best,

12V Guy
Attached Thumbnails Kenwood/Maestro Solution for Ford Mustangs!-climate.jpg   Kenwood/Maestro Solution for Ford Mustangs!-gauges.jpg   Kenwood/Maestro Solution for Ford Mustangs!-vehicle_info.jpg   Kenwood/Maestro Solution for Ford Mustangs!-radio_rear.jpg   Kenwood/Maestro Solution for Ford Mustangs!-mus1.jpg  

Last edited by 12v Guy; 9/27/13 at 07:10 AM.
Old 9/25/13, 10:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Question:

I have a 2011 Shelby with Shaker500. I want to get the Kenwood 890. Do I need to buy a Sat tuner to go with this radio ? Will the antenna I already have (stock) plug into this system ?

I have anxiously been waiting for this kit and I am very happy its here now. Now I can finally get nav in my vehicle.
Old 9/25/13, 10:28 AM
GT Member

Hi,

Yes you need a sat tuner. Your OEM tuner is inside the radio and is removed when you pull it out. The OEM radio antenna needs and adaptor (we don't sell but easy to get) and the Sat antenna is not direct plug in but people are able to make them work (search internet for that).

Let us know how it all goes.

Best,

12V Guy
Old 9/25/13, 02:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Is it possible to have full climate control capability using only this dash kit? I already have a pioneer radio installed but would consider swapping to this kit if it won't hinder the climate and heated seat controls
Old 9/25/13, 03:52 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by kingofsting
Is it possible to have full climate control capability using only this dash kit? I already have a pioneer radio installed but would consider swapping to this kit if it won't hinder the climate and heated seat controls
Our kit can only be used with a Kenwood radio as it has the screen to control Climate built in (as you see in the image above). With all other radios, you have to use on of the other kits so you have a secondary screen/controls to operate your HVAC. Hope I understood your question correctly.

Cheers,
Old 9/25/13, 04:50 PM

What will be the total price with the 850 dollars kenwood radio and the accesories needed to have all the features?
Old 9/25/13, 04:53 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by BlueFirePony
What will be the total price with the 850 dollars kenwood radio and the accesories needed to have all the features?
Depends on where you buy it. MSRP of Installation kit is $249.99 and ADS-MRR (module) is $169.99.

Cheers,

Last edited by 12v Guy; 10/24/13 at 02:43 PM.
Old 9/25/13, 05:08 PM
GT Member

Nice looking setup.
Old 9/25/13, 05:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the info! Just what I was asking
Old 9/26/13, 05:45 AM

I will do a full detailed review with many pics once this is installed. Waiting on ADS now...im talking to someone on facebook.
Old 9/26/13, 08:05 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice looking setup you have there. I'm anxious to see someone get this installed and post up a review.
Old 9/26/13, 08:29 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jateshk
I will do a full detailed review with many pics once this is installed. Waiting on ADS now...im talking to someone on facebook.
You're talking to me on Facebook. I sent you message this morning.. LOL
Old 10/11/13, 11:03 PM

where are you guys buying your stuff? i tried locally but the idatalink stuff is still too new and no one seems to know about it unless i point them here and the one kenwood dealer want $1700 for the 890.
Old 10/23/13, 02:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Look online at amazon and crutchfield...I ordered the parts for my install and got the 890 for only $880.
Old 10/23/13, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by 14rs3roush
Look online at amazon and crutchfield...I ordered the parts for my install and got the 890 for only $880.
thanks for the reply ron. how are you finding the unit so far?

i've been shopping around locally and this is the best i've been able to find:

MRR $160
Kit $209
Sirius box $99
890(1wk old demo) $700
Old 10/23/13, 03:27 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by dcottrell61
Nice looking setup you have there. I'm anxious to see someone get this installed and post up a review.
https://themustangsource.com/f803/ke...524857/index3/
Old 10/23/13, 04:52 PM
Bullitt Member

That's some good prices...better than what I paid.

I haven't installed it yet, but looking forward to the improved stang.
Old 10/26/13, 01:10 PM

looks awesome.
Old 10/29/13, 06:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Where is a good place to put the GPS antenna...discreet but with good reception.
Old 10/31/13, 01:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Finished my install today...works great. Here are a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails Kenwood/Maestro Solution for Ford Mustangs!-image-957509036.jpg   Kenwood/Maestro Solution for Ford Mustangs!-image-853096085.jpg   Kenwood/Maestro Solution for Ford Mustangs!-image-262984724.jpg  

Quick Reply: Kenwood/Maestro Solution for Ford Mustangs!