The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2015 - 2023 MUSTANG (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f806/)
-   -   Would you buy a Hybrid Mustang? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f806/would-you-buy-hybrid-mustang-496520/)

Itravelalot 6/15/11 07:46 PM

Would you buy a Hybrid Mustang?

Given the fact that Ford is now heavily focusing on global sales and hybrids (see the article), how about a hybrid Mustang? It certainly would not be as fast as a true gas powered 5.0, but it still could be pretty darn fast. The C-max was supposed to be gas and hybrid, but now it is scheduled to only hybrid. So, can you envision a time where you would actually consider buying a hybrid Mustang? It would definately need to be fast, and it really should have its own special trim package.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43391595/ns/business-autos/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43345370...id-only-model/

I think that in 5 years or so, if they made one fast enough, I really would consider it.

bob 6/15/11 08:43 PM

Mustang hybrid? I'll pass I'd sooner buy a Mustang blatantly copying the GT-R's mechanicals before I'd get a hybrid Mustang.

2k7gtcs 6/15/11 09:36 PM

I would rather buy a freakin Camaro than a Mustang hybrid. Actually I'd rather walk.

Blue Notch 6/15/11 10:22 PM

HELL NO!!!!

phiggs54 6/15/11 10:35 PM

If the hybrid engine was a combination internal combustion and jet turbine, then maybe yes.

05GT-O.C.D. 6/16/11 04:39 AM

I dunno - give me an option where 6th gear, or a shifter mounted button turns on the electric motor and I'd consider it. It wouldn't kill me to have an electric motor help push me down the interstate just as long as when I downshifted I had immediate response from ole gasoline.

Flagstang 6/16/11 05:01 AM

what would be the point of the car??????? a mustang is a sports car or its nothing....

R3troGT 6/16/11 05:35 AM

I would never consider buying a Mustang like that. Pointless

m4a1mustang 6/16/11 05:49 AM

Depends. If it's anything like some of the Porsche concepts it could be cool, but that would be far too expensive for a car like the Mustang, IMO.

Itravelalot 6/16/11 09:12 AM

At this point in time, I a.dmit it is not all that practical. When you have a few more years of production of hybrids, battery tech just might make it cheap enough to make a hybrid really fast. Some electic drag raqcing cars and motorcycles already show it is possible with todays tech to both be electric and to be really darn fast. Give it five to ten years, and I think that it would be possible to make a Mustang really fast.

Look at the 5.0 right now. It gets great gas milage above 30 mph as long as you are not constantly stopping and starting. If you paired something about the power of the 3.7 with a nicely robust electric motor and Lithium batteries, you could keep the weight within somewhat decent limits, have acceleration as good as the 5.0, get better weight distribution, and make the stop and go slow speed driving actually good mpg instead of really bad like it is now. After seeing some really fast electrics, I cannot help but think that the stang could in five to ten years be the first car to show that performance and really goood fuel economy could actually be brought to the masses. With the right engine combos and the right chassis design, it could have what it takes to be great in the rest of the world, too.

stangfoeva 6/16/11 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang (Post 6091464)
Depends. If it's anything like some of the Porsche concepts it could be cool, but that would be far too expensive for a car like the Mustang, IMO.

This, which is why I put maybe.

Wpasko 6/16/11 01:58 PM

Only if all cars were hybrids

RandyW 6/16/11 05:49 PM

Is there such a thing as a hybrid with a manual transmission? I can't recall ever reading about one. I definitely don't want to give up my manual, even if I could get an extra few mpg without giving up power.

m4a1mustang 6/16/11 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by RandyW (Post 6091798)
Is there such a thing as a hybrid with a manual transmission? I can't recall ever reading about one. I definitely don't want to give up my manual, even if I could get an extra few mpg without giving up power.

Take a look at the Porsche 911 GT3 R Hyrbid system... that's my idea of a hybrid. :metal:

Moosetang 6/16/11 07:38 PM

A more likely question is: would you buy a Mustang with KERS?

MadGT 6/16/11 09:08 PM

Hybrid and mustang: oxymoron.

houtex 6/17/11 06:31 PM

(not reading other responses before I replied, so I don't taint mine...)

I voted for all four, as I could, but more to the point, they're all correct in my case.

I wouldn't. The thought of a Mustang without a v6 or v8 is kinda... weird.

However, circumstances, and the future, are/is changing, and I don't think the internal combustion motor as it is today is going to stay king for too much longer, and definitely NOT in v8... and possibly v6... form.

Therefore, later in life, I might, depending circumstances, consider one, so maybe is an answer I can say with authority too. If it's a very cool car and it just happens to be a hybrid... well... why not?

The last two are both 'yes' because of answer #2, as either one would be acceptable... and the engine is likely to run on straight ethanol or Hydrogen fuel celled or... who knows what'll happen in 20 years? Mustang may not survive WITHOUT being a hybrid, if we want the Mustang to live on in any form, that is.

So, without an 'All of the above' answer, I just checked them all. So there. :p

/re: 20 years... Back in 1991, did you expect that one could use the phone to look up and/ or do stuff via internet AND talk at the same time? They're here. Now. And anyone can get one that will.
//So it's possible that given the crap that's going on, what drives these cars is going to be very different.
///maybe.... I can't tell the future, it's fuzzy.

ford4v429 6/17/11 09:52 PM

I probably wouldnt, but simply because i'm cheap...I think the base gt at 30 is already getting too high for many budgets...

but, if the price is inline with everything else out there, a hybrid could be cool- I really liked the GM mode II hybrid tranny idea used in the tahoe- the drivetrain is basically a v8 up front, a motor/generator, a clutch, another motor/generator to the driveshaft...with that setup, you can get v8+ 2 electric motors for acceleration, both electrics can be regenerative braking without really even noticing... doubtful, but no reason a full transmission couldnt go between the electrics if someone really wanted a stick 'sometimes'...technology exists to make anything possible- but the pricetag has to fit the market. the cool thing about that modeII transmission is its pretty much a 'transmission' sized package that might be retrofittable to any rwd vehicle with enough trunk space for a small battery pack. if the costs come down, who knows where we'll end up...

I think the days of a affordable v8 powered fun car are already gone...adding hybrid costs wont change that- and even if a electric mustang is faster in the 1/4, it wouldnt be the same...we'll get used to it, whatever it is. GM supposedly reprogrammed a old EV1 many years ago, and that POS ran like a 12 second quarter...theres a lot of little WRX Subaru 4wds out there that could run away and hide from our beloved V8s too- but again, its not the same.
whatever becomes of the Mustang, I just hope Ford keeps it closer to its roots...its not a bmw, its not a prius, and it should be priced where average working folks could afford it...and the base GT needs to sound like a v8, and have a manual transmission available...

mywifesnameishonda 6/17/11 09:54 PM

I'd rather drive a honda.

2k7gtcs 6/17/11 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by mywifesnameishonda (Post 6092448)
I'd rather drive a honda.

:rofl:

I bet you would.

By the way my wife's friend named their kid Camry. They had another one recently but decided not to use Corolla like a I suggested.