2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Weight gain is less than 100 lbs., trim for trim

Search this Thread

Old 6/18/14, 10:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
I am not happy with any weight gain. I hope the Ford engineers find a way to put the Mustang on a diet. If it has a two piece driveshaft, I hope they find a way to replace it with an aluminum single driveshaft. Maybe they can find other ways to nock of another 30 pounds.
DS and full catback should do that for you anyways...
Old 6/18/14, 11:18 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get the flame throwers ready, but put me down as another who's bitterly disappointed with the weight gain. The car's a cow...a gorgeous cow, but a cow nonetheless. I'm old (55), and I'm giving up correcting people who call the Mustang a "muscle car", and telling them it's a "pony car". Back in the day, the muscle cars (Chevelles, GTO's, 442's, Road Runners, Torinos, etc.) weighed in at or just under 4,000 lbs. So muscle car it is. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but the whole Steeda "the car will weigh 200-300 lbs more" thing, followed by the official release saying it "only" gained 100 lbs seems a contrived attempt to keep the faithful happy. It's sort of like your wife or girlfriend stepping on a scale and telling you "Look, I ONLY gained 30 lbs...I thought it was going to be 50! Aren't you happy?". I'll be curious to see how actually "clean sheet design" the new car is after people get to take a closer look. Unlike GM, Ford has no other cars using a rear wheel drive platform to share development costs. Given Mulally's whole "One Ford" mantra, you have to wonder how much in resources was expended on what can only be considered a niche model in its overall portfolio. Speaking of GM, that the new Corvette is heavier than even the previous gen Z06, in spite of heavy use of aluminum and composites is depressing as well. More weight means you need more horsepower, heavier suspension, and bigger brakes to maintain the same performance as a lighter car...simple physics. I have no doubt the car will perform, and I think it's beautiful, but I won't be rushing to trade mine in any time soon.

Rick
Old 6/18/14, 11:52 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
I am not happy with any weight gain. I hope the Ford engineers find a way to put the Mustang on a diet. If it has a two piece driveshaft, I hope they find a way to replace it with an aluminum single driveshaft. Maybe they can find other ways to nock of another 30 pounds.
They went IRS remember? Straight shaft to the diff, then the half shafts descend to the wheels.
Old 6/18/14, 04:24 PM

I'm curious, is the pricing on the AL intensive F series trucks out yet? That's supposed to be a whopping 700lbs lighter. IIRC, but is there some commensurate price increase? If not, perhaps the S550 development team should have swapped design notes with the F series team.

I also wonder if the GT350 will focus mostly on more power, weight be damned ala the GT500, or rather, might focus on more on the other side of the weight/power equation?

Last edited by rhumb; 6/18/14 at 04:27 PM.
Old 6/19/14, 12:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

"Look, I ONLY gained 30 lbs...I thought it was going to be 50! Aren't you happy?"
ROTFALMAO!!
Old 6/19/14, 12:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Over on the BMW boards they are very disturbed about the weight loss with the new M3/4, or lack thereof. BMW reported the car would be 80kgs (176lbs) ligher than its predecessor, when in reality its half this amount. At least it lost some weight though. So imagine Ford in a car that is just half the amount of a new M3/4 with all the added content. Sure I am a little disappointed, who doesn't want a lighter car, but in the full scheme of things when you see what else is out there its not that bad. Its a fact, cars are getting heavier...even the new 991S is heavier by a tad than the out going 997.2.

Dave

Last edited by Dave07997S; 6/19/14 at 12:14 AM.
Old 6/19/14, 10:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Eventually things HAVE to go in the other direction, can't have 6000 lb cars in another 20 years. My '14 deginitely feels heavy, make no mistake.
Old 6/19/14, 06:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
ATS on the Alpha platform weights at around 3300, thats with a 4 banger and a 4 door car.

Next Camaro on that platform, plus a V8 which should add around 200 pounds( comparing numbers from difference between the 5.0 and the ecoboost from the spec list) , you might see 3500-3600 would be my guess. For that future car, it should be possible to weight less then 2015 mustang at least by 100-200 pounds if they really try.
Old 6/20/14, 05:53 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by =HYPERDRIVE=
ATS on the Alpha platform weights at around 3300, thats with a 4 banger and a 4 door car.

Next Camaro on that platform, plus a V8 which should add around 200 pounds( comparing numbers from difference between the 5.0 and the ecoboost from the spec list) , you might see 3500-3600 would be my guess. For that future car, it should be possible to weight less then 2015 mustang at least by 100-200 pounds if they really try.
This kind of logic gets everyone nowhere. You don't just try to tally up weight based on existing parts and expect it to be that. Let's take your example of the Alpha Camaro...adding a V8 might ONLY add 200 lbs., but what about the beefed up driveshaft, rear drive unit (IRS), brakes, chassis bracing, etc.? What about keeping the base model at a competitive price, meaning very little use of lightweight materials, other than aluminum? My point is, it's a slippery slope to head down when you assume a lot of things to remain the same, when clearly they cannot.

The Mustang community as a whole has been really disappointing in all of this. Lots of self proclaimed "engineers" came out crucifying Ford for not dropping weight, despite very few understanding all of the variables at play to do that. At the end, I think people need to relax and wait until the car is thoroughly tested, then drive one themselves. No need to start a pissing match over weight when very little is known in detail about the car.

Last edited by Overboost; 6/20/14 at 06:37 AM.
Old 6/20/14, 06:24 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
This kind of logic gets everyone nowhere. You don't just try to tally up weight based on existing parts and expect it to be that. Let's take your example of the Alpha Camaro...adding a V8 might ONLY add 200 lbs., but what about the beefed up driveshaft, rear drive unit (IRS), brakes, chassis bracing, etc.? What about keeping the base model at a competitive price, meaning very little use of lightweight materials, other than aluminum? My point is, it's a slippery slope to head down when you assume a lot of things to remain the same, when clearly they cannot.

The Mustang community as a whole has been really disappointing in all of this. Lots of self proclaimed "engineers" came out crucifying Ford for not dropping weight, despite very few not understanding all of the variables at play to do that. At the end, I think people need to relax and wait until the car is thoroughly tested, then drive one themselves. No need to start a pissing match over weight when very little is known in detail about the car.
The other thing to keep in mind is the ever more stringent crash tests. Much like the engines are tuned to pass the EPA tests, the structures are engineered to do well in the crash tests. The new small overlap test has caused manufacturers to redesign and/or add additional bracing to the front of the car to perform well in this test. This adds weight.

Everyone keeps talking about how cars used to weigh so little and lets go back to that. Well those cars crumple like their made of tin foil in an accident. Don't believe me? Watch this. Be sure to watch all the camera angles to see the striking difference in what happens inside the 2 cars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJrXViFfMGk
Old 6/20/14, 12:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by =HYPERDRIVE=
ATS on the Alpha platform weights at around 3300, thats with a 4 banger and a 4 door car. Next Camaro on that platform, plus a V8 which should add around 200 pounds( comparing numbers from difference between the 5.0 and the ecoboost from the spec list) , you might see 3500-3600 would be my guess. For that future car, it should be possible to weight less then 2015 mustang at least by 100-200 pounds if they really try.
If you really want to analyze the platforms and speculate a weight, you have to at least do it correctly. You looked at 4% of the factors.

First off, the 4 cylinder to ls3 is a significantly larger jump in weight compared to the 4 to 5.0.

Second, coupes weigh more than 4 door cars.

Next is the added body work to make it big and "muscley". The supporting drive train, etc.

The alpha camaro could still be around 3700 and change.

I forgot to mention, why does it matter?

The weight gain on the mustang is negligible. The added power will more than off set it. Everyone goes nuts because the real deal isn't up to what the RUMORS said? How is that Fords fault?
Old 6/20/14, 12:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by AWmustang
The other thing to keep in mind is the ever more stringent crash tests. Much like the engines are tuned to pass the EPA tests, the structures are engineered to do well in the crash tests. The new small overlap test has caused manufacturers to redesign and/or add additional bracing to the front of the car to perform well in this test. This adds weight. Everyone keeps talking about how cars used to weigh so little and lets go back to that. Well those cars crumple like their made of tin foil in an accident. Don't believe me? Watch this. Be sure to watch all the camera angles to see the striking difference in what happens inside the 2 cars. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJrXViFfMGk
Quite a large difference between old and new. I'd bet that 09 Malibu vs any 2014 car would show a similar contrast.
Old 6/20/14, 07:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
So she's FAT. I still love her.
So 69mach1-409 thinks she's needs a bag on her head. I think she has a nice a**
Old 6/20/14, 07:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Why so much quibble over 100lbs? We finally get IRS and a lower, wider stance. Surely these are worth it.
Old 6/20/14, 07:53 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
So I lose 100 pounds and it's all good

As good a reason as any I guess
Old 6/20/14, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Over on the BMW boards they are very disturbed about the weight loss with the new M3/4, or lack thereof. BMW reported the car would be 80kgs (176lbs) ligher than its predecessor, when in reality its half this amount. At least it lost some weight though. So imagine Ford in a car that is just half the amount of a new M3/4 with all the added content. Sure I am a little disappointed, who doesn't want a lighter car, but in the full scheme of things when you see what else is out there its not that bad. Its a fact, cars are getting heavier...even the new 991S is heavier by a tad than the out going 997.2.

Dave
so are you going with the 2015 mustang too...? cancelling my f80 order because of the v8 + price point of it. f80s are getting crazy power but theres something about what ford did with the new one that has me needing to buy. yea it gained some weight but there are ways to reduce that here and there.
Old 6/20/14, 08:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

i have a feeling there will be more ways to reduce weight on the new platform vs the s197's. if youre into drag racing you can take some of the added bracing in the front off and that 100lbs will be gone.
Old 6/20/14, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by southcarolina12
i have a feeling there will be more ways to reduce weight on the new platform vs the s197's. if youre into drag racing you can take some of the added bracing in the front off and that 100lbs will be gone.
Agreed. I've already thought of a few ideas that I can reduce weight. Just gotta see if I have the funds to do it. Picking up my 2015 with a few added goodies that'll probably raise the price a good amount
Old 6/20/14, 10:46 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by redneb
Why so much quibble over 100lbs? We finally get IRS and a lower, wider stance. Surely these are worth it.
Only to 300+# couch potato internet racers that don't know **** about driving an SRA.

Old 6/21/14, 10:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by pj.singh
so are you going with the 2015 mustang too...? cancelling my f80 order because of the v8 + price point of it. f80s are getting crazy power but theres something about what ford did with the new one that has me needing to buy. yea it gained some weight but there are ways to reduce that here and there.
Taking a wait and see approach right now. I love the new M4 but I love V8s and normally aspirated. So I am going to wait and see what the SE Mustangs will bring ala GT350 and such. To get a regular Mustang GT really doesn't get me anywhere. I love my E92 M3, its right under 400rwhp and I just got it a little under a year ago.

Name:  edit00016-7-2014015.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  694.6 KB

Name:  edit00016-7-2014014.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  672.3 KB

Name:  edit00016-7-2014016.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  661.0 KB

I also want to see what the LCI F82 brings with its competition package.

Dave

Last edited by Dave07997S; 6/21/14 at 10:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Weight gain is less than 100 lbs., trim for trim