The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2015 - 2023 MUSTANG (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f806/)
-   -   Tire choice for 777hp (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f806/tire-choice-777hp-540555/)

allen2016gt 3/4/16 10:53 PM

Ecostang - thank you for the driving tips - I have 30 years of driving exp - I'm coming over to the mustang crowd from a 2012 amg cls 63 - 722 hp Weistec tuned - so I'm not a stranger to performance cars. My question was an honest one to see what you guys recommended.

Thank you everyone for the great advice!

Ecostang 3/5/16 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by allen2016gt (Post 6970149)
Ecostang - thank you for the driving tips - I have 30 years of driving exp - I'm coming over to the mustang crowd from a 2012 amg cls 63 - 722 hp Weistec tuned - so I'm not a stranger to performance cars. My question was an honest one to see what you guys recommended.

Thank you everyone for the great advice!

No problem, I only mentioned those things because you never know on the forum who's typing on the other side :D

Interesting transistion from the AMG to the mustang, what do you think so far?

Stage_3 3/5/16 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by allen2016gt (Post 6970149)
I'm coming over to the mustang crowd from a 2012 amg cls 63 - 722 hp Weistec tuned

How would you compare the two beasts? :D

allen2016gt 3/6/16 10:52 PM

The mustang rides better - softer even with Steeda lowering springs. Mustang is 800 lbs lighter and you can tell from cornering. I personally LOVE my Mustang! 1/3 the price - 800lbs lighter - 55hp more - better ride - lower maintenance cost (AMG dealer wanted $550.00 for oil change). My first car ...please don't laugh- 1976 Mustang 2 Cobra - 162 hp with 15" rims lol.

I get as many thumbs up with my Mustang! Very happy with the choice. Thank you you guys for asking

Ecostang 3/7/16 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by allen2016gt (Post 6970527)
The mustang rides better - softer even with Steeda lowering springs. Mustang is 800 lbs lighter and you can tell from cornering. I personally LOVE my Mustang! 1/3 the price - 800lbs lighter - 55hp more - better ride - lower maintenance cost (AMG dealer wanted $550.00 for oil change). My first car ...please don't laugh- 1976 Mustang 2 Cobra - 162 hp with 15" rims lol.

I get as many thumbs up with my Mustang! Very happy with the choice. Thank you you guys for asking

That's cool! Welcome to the mustang club....and to the more exclusive 700 hp mustang club :nice:

Stage_3 3/7/16 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by allen2016gt (Post 6970527)

That's awesome Allen! Good to hear.

Originally Posted by Ecostang (Post 6970586)
That's cool! Welcome to the mustang club....and to the more exclusive 700 hp mustang club :nice:

^^This. What Stephen said. :nice:

TrikPonyGirl 8/26/16 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ecostang (Post 6969572)
I would agree with you with some clarification, the clarification I want to offer may help someone finding themselves with a 700+ hp for the first time :) No one wants to wreck their car, injure themselves, or injure someone else. 777 HP can certainly be dangerous if not respected.

OP if this is your first time with a car this powerful I'd like to offer a few suggestions that I learned while getting accustomed to my modified Shelby, you may already know these things and if so then maybe it will help someone else.

1. Traction is king, with traction the odds of you accidentally putting the car in to an unwanted slide is minimal. With 8.5" rims you don't have a chance, I'm just being honest. If you want to keep the same rims add a spacer and widen them to 10".....even with a 305 tire your asking a lot.

2. Temperature is a big factor in traction. The the colder temps, the colder the road, the harder your tire gets. When I'm driving my Shelby I always pay attention to the temps when I want to play around. Below 60f you are asking for trouble, anything above 75f I'm usually hooking up a lot better.

3. Heat your tires up by spinning them some at low speed, when it's safer, before you do any high speed pulls. Some quick second gear burnouts are fun and it makes the tire stickier and safer for high speeds.

4. Leave the traction control on especially when driving at higher speeds, If I downshift at 70 mph and floor it with trac ON I still fishtail some. The only time I turn off the trac control is if I'm racing or trying to burn the tires off at slower speeds.

5. Learn how to handle your car constantly getting out of shape! It took me at least 5k miles before I felt comfortable driving the car at full power. I'm comfortable now with turning trac off and fishtailing from a stoplight up to 60-70 mph and I don't feel like I'm risking passengers or other people on the street. It's not to be taken lightly, things happen incredibly fast with that kind of power.

I'm an experienced driver with 2 decades of driving hard, but I almost lost my Shelby to an unexpected slide when it was new. I left my house and turned off trac control and forgot about it. I went to pass a car going 50-60 mph on a single lane road near my house. I downshifted, gave it some gas, and swung out to go around the car. My car lost traction and I ended up passing the car sideways as I went around it. It probably looked awesome, like I meant to do it, but I nearly S*** my pants over it.

I know you didn't ask, so please don't take it the wrong way that I'm offering this advice. It's not intended to be disrespectful of your driving skills, again you may already be aware of the things I've mentioned.

I think your reply was awesome and not snarky or condescending (like some others). Some of us are genuinely new to the forums and are asking questions that are new to us. Those who get on here and get all harpy need to understand that we are not 12 year olds who are looking for trouble. I asked a question on another forum, and someone went batsh*t. So, thank you Ecostang for your useful, non-preachy recommendations! :)

5.M0NSTER 8/30/16 06:23 PM

Thread revive!

Allen, what tires did you choose, and how do you like them from a perspective of time?