Search this Thread

Old 8/19/10, 11:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Timeframe:

April 2010 we saw the MY2011 Mustang
April 2011 we will see the MY2012 Mustang
April 2012 we will see the MY2013 Mustang
April 2013 we will see the MY2014 Mustang (MY2014 is when the Anniversary Model comes out)
April 2014 we will see the MY2015 Mustang (April 2014 will be the date that marks 50 Years)

So Ford can either launch the new design in April 17, 2014 to start the second 50 years of production or mark the Model Year anniversary with a new design in 2013. So far it has been mum on what road they'll take. If they choose April 2014 (MY2015) Camaros supposed launch of the Alpha based car will be MY2015 also(be it a few months later). If they use the current design through MY2014 that means the 50th Anniversary badge will appear on this body style. It may work that they could pull the next generation of engines up for the Anniversary Cars.(Ecoboost 5.0,
BOSS motor for base GT, EcoBoost 3.7 V6, etc.)

What would you want from Ford?

Last edited by Topnotch; 8/19/10 at 11:06 AM.
Old 8/19/10, 11:37 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want MY2014 to be the 50th anniversary redesign. Which means we should see it in just three more years (sometime 2013). I don't see Ford keeping the S197 platform until MY2015.

Last edited by Adam; 8/19/10 at 11:40 AM.
Old 8/19/10, 12:56 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd love to see the all new car as early as 2013......as long as it's ready and not rushed to production. If it's not ready, I'd love to see a 95% accurate concept car in 2014 with the production car launched 12 months later. Something to keep us drooling for a year.

Whilst using the Boss motor for the standard GT would be nice, Ford have indicated you won't be able to buy the parts as bolt-ons for the GT....so I'd not expect to see the engine become standard. However I would want aroind 430-440bhp from the GT, so we might see similar mods to the Boss, but not identical to keep the Boss owners happy.

A blown Coyote would be great.....and it seems our Australian friends are already developing that for the Falcon. That'd certainly make a nice SVT model for the new car.

Now, design-wise, just take a LOT of inspiration from the '69 and I'll be happy.

Old 8/19/10, 02:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

ASAP if possible, hopefully they drop it in 2013.
Will we see DI in the GT motor with that 7500 RPM Boss redline that engine could be a serious beast? especially if they turbo that version. With the upgraded internals but same compression ratio the Boss engine seems ready to have those turbos strapped on.
Old 8/19/10, 03:03 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I can get an Ecoboost 5.0 in the new body style I'll be in heaven
Old 8/25/10, 08:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Adam
I want MY2014 to be the 50th anniversary redesign. Which means we should see it in just three more years (sometime 2013). I don't see Ford keeping the S197 platform until MY2015.
There have been some recent articles regarding the chassis choice for the 50 year anniversary Mustang. The original plan was to put the car on the Australlian Falcon chassis but sales of that car have dropped and so has the chassis, so that option is out. Second option was to put it on a global car chassis which would mean that Mustang would get an IRS as standard equipment. Final option was to leave it on the S197 chassis and modify the body somewhat. There were rumors that Ford might want to take the Mustang upmarket to compete with the M3 crowd but that has met with loud roars of discontent from the Mustang loyalists crowd. I agree, taking the Mustang upmarket would be a mistake.

There are also rumors that because of the upcoming CAFE standards that we may not even get a V8 option. Ecoboost V6 would be the top dog and Ecoboost 4 cylinder for the entry level. Lets hope that doesn't happen. Like a lot of you guys my plan is get my hands on one of those 50 year anniversary Mustangs.
Old 8/26/10, 07:38 AM

Option 3 is starting to sound disconcertingly like what happened with the FoxStang chassis, which dragged on waaaaay past its sell-by date (1979-2004=25 years, a quarter century). Sure Ford did what they could with that tired old chassis in its latter years, but it was a tired old chassis. My hope, given that option 1 is out, is option 2. Keep the Mustang current, up to date and ahead of the competition in all aspects.

As for moving the Mustang "upmarket," I, too, would disagree with that in general, with perhaps the exception of some SE models (GT500 is already pretty upmarket, at least price wise). The idea of the Mustang in not so much to move "upmarket" into M3 territory but rather, to move upmarket M3 qualities and capabilities "downmarket" into an affordable Mustang's price range. The S197 was originally contemplated this way but I think, due to some convoluted and counterproductive development decisions (read: IRS), this is only now becoming true with the 2010 update and especially, the blazing 5.0.

A V8 is absolutely essential to the Mustang. They tried no V8 once for a year or two with the Mustang II and that failed miserably, forcing Ford to shoehorn the 302 back ASAP. Granted, a V8 may become more of a specialty item, and perhaps downsized with DI added to keep under the CAFE, but it will never totally disappear.

I don't see power levels growing much more but with the 2015(?) redesign, presumably smaller and lighter, the power to weight ratio will go up and that's what really matters for acceleration. Also, if smaller and lighter, and finally with IRS, the handling dynamics will improve to increasing both objective capability and simple subjective fun to drive.

Last edited by rhumb; 8/26/10 at 07:39 AM.
Old 8/29/10, 08:25 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
I'd love to see the all new car as early as 2013......as long as it's ready and not rushed to production. If it's not ready, I'd love to see a 95% accurate concept car in 2014 with the production car launched 12 months later. Something to keep us drooling for a year.

Whilst using the Boss motor for the standard GT would be nice, Ford have indicated you won't be able to buy the parts as bolt-ons for the GT....so I'd not expect to see the engine become standard. However I would want aroind 430-440bhp from the GT, so we might see similar mods to the Boss, but not identical to keep the Boss owners happy.

A blown Coyote would be great.....and it seems our Australian friends are already developing that for the Falcon. That'd certainly make a nice SVT model for the new car.

Now, design-wise, just take a LOT of inspiration from the '69 and I'll be happy.

excellent post- and I agree 100%, go more 1969 styling wise!
Old 8/29/10, 08:40 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
I just hope and pray the next iteration dont come with a huge price increase...IMO in these times, Ford NEEDS to figure out a way to still offer a stripped Mustang V8 for in the 25k range...the farther they get from there, the faster the sales volume will decline...the whole 'thing' behind the mustang was it was to be affordable to the average guy...I love my 06, but had it been 30 instead of 26, no way I coulda done it- 4 kids means a mustang is a non-family car, and thats a heck of a payment to take on...with GTs now most often in the high 30-low40 range, its simply no way...I see the prices creeping up, and am just still glad my next new mustang is already here in that undriven 09- aside from the second best looking car(IMO of course) Ford ever built, also got a heck of a deal on it- hate to say, but doubt there will not be a new V8 Mustang I could justify ever again. If the 2014/2015 ends up looking like a 69, I may want one horribly bad, but if it costs 30-35-40, I just wont be able to even think about one...
I just think Ford NEEDS to still offer a stripper V8 for around 25 to keep that affordability feature that was Mustang's from day one...face it in the days of 10k imports, 25 is still a lot of money for a entry level package.
Old 8/29/10, 04:18 PM
Banned

they need to get rid of all {EDITED} the heated seats, nav, glass roof, leather package, etc.

Cut out the garbage...thanks...

Last edited by Boomer; 8/29/10 at 05:11 PM.
Old 8/30/10, 03:45 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429
I just hope and pray the next iteration dont come with a huge price increase...IMO in these times, Ford NEEDS to figure out a way to still offer a stripped Mustang V8 for in the 25k range...the farther they get from there, the faster the sales volume will decline...the whole 'thing' behind the mustang was it was to be affordable to the average guy...I love my 06, but had it been 30 instead of 26, no way I coulda done it- 4 kids means a mustang is a non-family car, and thats a heck of a payment to take on...with GTs now most often in the high 30-low40 range, its simply no way...I see the prices creeping up, and am just still glad my next new mustang is already here in that undriven 09- aside from the second best looking car(IMO of course) Ford ever built, also got a heck of a deal on it- hate to say, but doubt there will not be a new V8 Mustang I could justify ever again. If the 2014/2015 ends up looking like a 69, I may want one horribly bad, but if it costs 30-35-40, I just wont be able to even think about one...
I just think Ford NEEDS to still offer a stripper V8 for around 25 to keep that affordability feature that was Mustang's from day one...face it in the days of 10k imports, 25 is still a lot of money for a entry level package.
Putting aside the general pace of inflation: For $25K you can get a 305hp Mustang with a Performance Pack and not much else, that's your stripper.
Old 8/30/10, 04:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Moosetang
Putting aside the general pace of inflation: For $25K you can get a 305hp Mustang with a Performance Pack and not much else, that's your stripper.
Exactly. The V6 has more HP than the old V8s had. That's the model you should be looking at for under $25k.
Old 9/8/10, 11:48 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam
From a marketing perspective it makes sense for ford to keep the old platform that long.

A lof of people will buy the car just becasue of the 50th anniversary so it will sell on the old platform fine.

And then make a new one the next year and people will buy that just because its new.

So why shoot themselves in the foot with two strong selling points in a single model year?

Just my 2 cents, waiting to see what Ford actually does.
Old 9/8/10, 12:50 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I see where you're coming from, but Ford didn't exactly go OTT with the tinsel on the 40th and 45th anniversary Mustangs, so not sure they would with the 50th. For me, it'd be sooooo cool that the all new car celebrates the 50th anniversary
Old 9/8/10, 08:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Knight
From a marketing perspective it makes sense for ford to keep the old platform that long.

A lof of people will buy the car just becasue of the 50th anniversary so it will sell on the old platform fine.

And then make a new one the next year and people will buy that just because its new.

So why shoot themselves in the foot with two strong selling points in a single model year?

Just my 2 cents, waiting to see what Ford actually does.
I agree with this. Keep the anniversary model aligned with the last year of a generation's body style and introduce the new bodystyle the year after. This is sort of like Honda does with Accord SE models the last year of a body design.... VW tends to do the same with Wolfsburg Edition models.
Old 9/8/10, 11:16 PM
Cobra R Member

im betting we will not see new design till 2014 (as a 2015 model) 2005-09...2010-2014...

minor front and rear end redesign in 2012 (2013 model)

with ford having the fiesta and new focus...could see them going upscale with mustang (hope not!)...already with back up camera,glass roof ect ect it's gone far enough

think they will still offer the V8,but have a feeling this years 5.0 may be last of a dying breed...cafe standards and the chinese drinking the same oil we do (forcing gas prices way up)...also young people these days seem more into gadgets,and will probably want there cars with more of this kinda stuff ,then raw horsepower (hope im wrong)
Old 9/9/10, 09:50 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
I see where you're coming from, but Ford didn't exactly go OTT with the tinsel on the 40th and 45th anniversary Mustangs, so not sure they would with the 50th. For me, it'd be sooooo cool that the all new car celebrates the 50th anniversary
Half a century is a big deal. Much bigger than 40th and 45th. Combine that with it lining up perfectly with a 2013/2014 redesign, I think Ford is going to go all out. I'm not looking for a bunch of "50th" badges, I just want all the technology and features the Mustang is missing.
Old 9/9/10, 07:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tom_vilsack
im betting we will not see new design till 2014 (as a 2015 model) 2005-09...2010-2014...

minor front and rear end redesign in 2012 (2013 model)

with ford having the fiesta and new focus...could see them going upscale with mustang (hope not!)...already with back up camera,glass roof ect ect it's gone far enough

think they will still offer the V8,but have a feeling this years 5.0 may be last of a dying breed...cafe standards and the chinese drinking the same oil we do (forcing gas prices way up)...also young people these days seem more into gadgets,and will probably want there cars with more of this kinda stuff ,then raw horsepower (hope im wrong)
i want it to be full of both!

and no 50th badges just releasing the car for the 50th is good enough for me
Old 9/16/10, 08:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429
25k Mustang V8 is here today if you get a '10 with rebates
Old 9/16/10, 10:26 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Moosetang
Everytime, I read the word "inflation" on this forum, I want to puke! Ford, GM & Chrysler have been beating up their suppliers for years. Plus, see more parts, etc. being produced over seas or in Mexico.

I want to see where "inflation" really comes into play, because I don't see any evidence. Its a myth IMO. Especially with the tax breaks they are currently getting. Give me a F-N break.

They are ripping us off!

Sorry, to get off of topic-lol