2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

A Smaller Mustang with Independent Rear Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/11, 02:14 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by burningman
umm we are still talking about cars here....right?
Perhaps I should have phrased that better
Old 1/20/11, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as others have stated, i dont think we will be seeing the ttv6 in the mustang gt. This is a brand new v8 and its got lots of room for improvement.
Old 1/21/11, 06:31 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Keep in mind $$$ is another reason.
The 3.5TT(engine+2x turbo setup) is more expensive than the 5L
Old 1/21/11, 01:11 PM

yeah i guess not having the federal goverment backing your wallet means you have to be financially responsible.
Old 2/8/11, 09:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"To keep rolling, Mulally is requiring new models introduced from 2012 to 2020 to weigh 250 to 750 pounds less than their predecessors. If they can’t achieve best-in-class fuel economy, he won’t approve them. "

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...-explorer.html
Old 2/8/11, 10:18 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ace22
yeah i guess not having the federal goverment backing your wallet means you have to be financially responsible.
Nope, having the right person in the right job makes all the difference in the world.

It has nothing to do with the Fed's bailing GM out, had Ford been forced to do the same and Mulally still been hired to do the job, Ford would still be on a roll, albeit with alot less popularity.

About the only positive aspect of Ford betting the farm so to speak by putting up just about every asset with a blue oval on it, is that with 1100 dollars of interest tacked onto every vehicle produced, compared to the 200 dollars of interest tacked onto every GM vehicle produced, Ford has to be on the ball or else they are in trouble.

But dont beat the capitalistic drums to loudly in triumph. There are a few things you can count on in america - americans have very short memories, they are cheap, and at some point they will turn on a winner (see Toyota).

If GM gets its act absolutely together with the right management, offer an equal or better product at the same or cheaper price, and Ford loses its momentum - in the words of Pvt. Pyle from Full Metal Jacket, Ford would be "In a world of ****".

And that doesnt include Chrysler somehow becoming a credible threat again. They recieved loans from the Feds as well and people conviently forget that, not to mention, Chrysler is also mostly owned by Fiat.

Which btw, if anybody didn't know or didn't care to look. China had check in hand for GM if the feds hadn't stepped in.

How 'bout that - in one fell swoop, China would have become one of the largest employers in america (perhaps the largest when you consider all of the subcontracting GM does), its bad enough they hold about 40% of our national debt, but also owning in full one of America's biggest employers... yeah talk about winning a war and never firing a shot.

And all this doesn't even include the debt the Feds would have had to take on if GM went **** up - we, meaning everybody who pays taxes would have had to bailout the UAW's retirement and healthcare obligations for GM (and possibly Ford as well as Chrysler had the doomsday scenario hit with GM folding and dragging down Ford and Chrysler with it).

Sorry about the rant and driving the thread off track, but the govenrment bailout might not have been the ideal solution and like alot of big descions it was the lesser of many evils.

Last edited by bob; 2/8/11 at 10:20 AM.
Old 2/8/11, 05:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Topnotch
"To keep rolling, Mulally is requiring new models introduced from 2012 to 2020 to weigh 250 to 750 pounds less than their predecessors. If they can’t achieve best-in-class fuel economy, he won’t approve them. "

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...-explorer.html
That is an excellent idea as this is what has stopped improving fuel economy over the past decades, cars have gotten bigger and heavier.

I say let those who want to drive the big pickups and SUV's to haul their briefcase to and from work buy the gas and don't complain. For the rest of us that live on a budget, give us some other options that are cheaper to fuel.
Old 2/8/11, 05:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ace22
as others have stated, i dont think we will be seeing the ttv6 in the mustang gt. This is a brand new v8 and its got lots of room for improvement.
Agreed.

But they might drop a 5.0 TT into a GT 500 in the future...
Old 2/8/11, 09:13 PM

I think there is one very important fact that many seem to be missing. And that is the price of fuel. Has anyone noticed that the price of gas has now acheived a record high in this country - and it's only 2011. It is entirely possible that we could be paying $5.00 to $6.00 per gallon by 2014. The Europeans are already paying approximately $5 - $7 per LITER. Just remember what happened in the early 70's to the "muscle car" when gas was in short supply and later cost an arm & a leg. There are going to have to be many more changes to size/weight/fuel economy to keep the Ford Mustang competitive on the world market. Just remember, those who forget the past (or if you're too young to know of it) are doomed to repeat it. Just my two cents.
Old 2/9/11, 12:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mpultra
I think there is one very important fact that many seem to be missing. And that is the price of fuel. Has anyone noticed that the price of gas has now acheived a record high in this country - and it's only 2011. It is entirely possible that we could be paying $5.00 to $6.00 per gallon by 2014. The Europeans are already paying approximately $5 - $7 per LITER. Just remember what happened in the early 70's to the "muscle car" when gas was in short supply and later cost an arm & a leg. There are going to have to be many more changes to size/weight/fuel economy to keep the Ford Mustang competitive on the world market. Just remember, those who forget the past (or if you're too young to know of it) are doomed to repeat it. Just my two cents.
I'm not sure where you live, but gas prices here in the midwest are still a full dollar away from record highs. We are right around $3 a gallon. But ~4 years ago we went over $4.

I'm not saying they aren't rising and fuel efficiency shouldn't be improved, but they aren't at record highs.
Old 2/9/11, 02:45 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Commodities are crazy like that, but to remind people of something that happened in the 90's (granted it wasn't as hard to find oil back then), but America had shaped up its average fleet economy by a substantial amount and all of a sudden, we found ourselves in a gasoline glut, the upshot of which, gas prices fell to less than a dollar.

Another thing to consider is that the dollar is weak right now and when your currency is weak commodities cost more.

Create a condition where the average fleet economy improves and the dollar regains strength (okay that last bit seems iffy with the feds printing so much funny money) gas prices will go down.
Old 2/9/11, 03:54 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Cool Worry about the EPA before gas prices

I think there is one very important fact that many seem to be missing. And that is the price of fuel. Just remember what happened in the early 70's to the "muscle car" when gas was in short supply and later cost an arm & a leg. Just remember, those who forget the past (or if you're too young to know of it) are doomed to repeat it. Just my two cents.
Well, you are correct that the price of gas does affect things.
But how much?
One other thing that hurt muscle cars was EPA regulations that the manufacturers hadn't yet figured out how to meet.
Having been a driver in the '70s, we were still buying V8s over V6s for more power if we could afford it.
Gas was only in short supply for several months, not years. If you could afford it, you complained about it and kept driving your V8.
I can remember the younger kids in the late '70s still buying and lusting after the early '70s muscle cars and buying the new Trans-Am, Z-28, etc. and racing down the streets.
My father has NEVER owned anything but a V8 since 1969.
He was commuting hundreds of miles each week in the late '70s.
More to the point...
The EPA will be more of a factor than the price of gas once again.
Look at the future CAFE numbers and you will understand.
Old 2/10/11, 01:37 PM
Cobra Member

When gas prices go up, a lot of other items go up as well. The economy suffers for it.
When gas prices reach $4.00 per gallon and beyond, I wouldn't be surprised if V8 sales start to dive. Factor in the cost of a V8 vs. a V6 too!

Guys like me will continue to buy V8 Mustangs, but they aren't the future. Ecoboost 4's & 6's are!
Old 2/11/11, 06:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just a kid driving a 69 Boss 429 with 4.57:1 gears when the first oil embargo hit in the 70s. I had to park it and buy a Pinto of all things. I eventually sold the Boss (been kicking myself ever since) and the Pinto ended up with a V-8 transplant after the price of gas moderated. Once a hot rodder...
Old 2/16/11, 01:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Scary Thought...

http://www.mustangevolution.com/201102137330/

If Ford Mustang lines itself with NASCAR ....does that mean they can prove we don't need an IRS because they race with Live Axles every weekend?

And why NASCAR....I know...fans, money, exposure...but I don't see Mustang and NASCAR together...
Grand Am, Le Mans, Rolex Series, FIA...Yes!
Old 2/16/11, 01:30 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If my drive to work was nothing but a couple of left turns in a tri-oval...then yes.
Otherwise, probably not.
hahah
Old 2/16/11, 03:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
If my drive to work was nothing but a couple of left turns in a tri-oval...then yes.
Otherwise, probably not.
hahah

Listen Cole, I told you to turn right, TURN RIGHT!

But I only turn LEFT!
Old 2/16/11, 07:25 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Topnotch
And why NASCAR....I know...fans, money, exposure...but I don't see Mustang and NASCAR together...
Grand Am, Le Mans, Rolex Series, FIA...Yes!
Well they're sorta in a quandary, do you slap any old name on the car (Fusion) or do you try and get something at least in the ballpark? The only two vehicles in Ford's car lineup that say "performance" right off are Mustang and SHO. The SHO is very publicly a Turbo V6, so the V8 Mustang makes a decent amount of sense. Falcon would be a better bit but obviously isn't going to happen.
Old 2/16/11, 08:14 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Automagically

Hey its SCCA (See Cruise Crash Again)
Old 2/16/11, 08:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Bill Ford Jr. Confirmed that there will be a turbo under the hood of a Mustang at some point so I am assuming that he can only mean that it will be the 50th Anniversary Edition.

Quick Reply: A Smaller Mustang with Independent Rear Suspension