The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2015 - 2023 MUSTANG (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f806/)
-   -   Question about Adaptive Cruise Control (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f806/question-about-adaptive-cruise-control-538189/)

Chip 7/26/15 07:14 AM

Question about Adaptive Cruise Control

I'm getting ready to purchase a 2015 GT, I want to add the Roush front bumper & grill. Roush Performance states that the bumper is not compatible with adaptable cruise control! I did not want this option but it was on the only car that match all the other options I want. I watched a you tube video that shows you can disable the adaptive cruise control and just use normal cruise control. I want to know if there is anything that would prevent me from installing the new bumper & will there be any other problems that might occur? I have no problem not using this feature!

Thanks,

tukatz 7/26/15 08:23 AM

Interesting. We have it in my wife's new CR-V and I love it. Wish I had it in my Mustang.

kn7671 7/27/15 03:36 AM

I suggest you try removing and disabling the sensor now to confirm no problems arise, this way you can physically confirm before burning money on the Roush front end.

SpectreH 7/27/15 04:18 AM

There are two features on the 15's I wish I could have on my '13 - adaptive cruise and cooled seats.

AWmustang 7/27/15 11:20 AM

The adaptive cruise radar sensor also provides the collision mitigation warning. So you will likely get an error when you start the car due to it not being able to activate that system. Also, insurance companies are starting to take note of these safety features when calculating premiums. If you get in an accident and they find out you disabled a safety feature they may not cover the claim.

Chip 7/31/15 03:21 PM

Thanks for all the responses guys! After Ford, Roush & American Muscle couldn't confirm or deny that there would be any problems installing the Roush front bumper the dealer found me another car without the adaptive cruise option! Boy that new leather smells so good!!!

yabutt 9/29/15 07:21 AM

You can disable on your settings menu where gauges are

HoosierDaddy 1/25/16 07:31 AM

Sorry for resurrecting but does anyone know if there are ACC sensors in or behind the grill or grill surround? One of my cars has them built into the grill so you couldn't change that. Have a 2016 on order but the dealer doesn't have any ACC cars on the lot to check first hand. I did drive one at a dealer a long way from me but didn't even think to look for the sensors at the time.

AWmustang 1/25/16 09:42 AM

I know they are behind the lower grill opening. I don't know if they are attached to the grill or just behind it. I know some of the aftermarket bumpers and grills will specify if they are compatible with the Adaptive Cruise or not.

Roadk9 1/26/16 11:14 PM

I have a 2016 with ACC, I haven't found the sensor yet. I can tell you there is no visible indication on the front bumper housing. I will look again tomorrow.

Glenn 1/27/16 10:28 AM

What exactly is adaptive cruise?

SpectreH 1/27/16 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 6963834)
What exactly is adaptive cruise?

It utilizes sensors to detect the cars in front of you and can reduce your speed to maintain a safe distance and speed back up again when traffic allows.

Roadk9 1/27/16 11:28 AM

I just came back in from looking for the sensor on the front of my car. I could not see it nor could I see a bracket that would mount one. So it has to be behind the plastic bumper cover. It is powerful enough that it doesn't need to be inset into the plastic like the rear backup sensors are in most cars that have them. It has to be powerful to be capable of detecting a car and measuring it's speed at 4 car lengths away.

AWmustang 1/27/16 03:30 PM

The lower grill insert is different depending on if you have ACC or not. Notice on the red car, the "fangs" from the upper grill are carried through to the lower grill. This car does not have ACC. The blue car does have ACC and the sensor is behind the flat part on the passenger side. (It uses radar instead of sonar, like the backup sensors, so it can easily see through the plastic).

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...dab44afcb4.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...97c53321c8.jpg

HoosierDaddy 2/2/16 03:10 PM

Thanks. I did find an EB with ACC and it had the same lower grill. Wasn't sure if that's how the GTs would be but apparently so.

Scrape 2/2/16 08:49 PM

Good to know. I'll be looking at a new Stang in a year or two.

HoosierDaddy 2/3/16 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Scrape (Post 6965067)
Good to know. I'll be looking at a new Stang in a year or two.

Hopefully by then it will automatically re-engage when you shift due to traffic speed changing. Its possible since my Cadillac regular cruise automatically re-engages when I shift. ACC is worth it without that but that would make it even better when traffic speed is varying by a lot.

15GTS550 11/13/17 10:26 PM

MMD V-Seris lower grille not compatible with ACC

Originally Posted by AWmustang (Post 6963879)
The lower grill insert is different depending on if you have ACC or not. Notice on the red car, the "fangs" from the upper grill are carried through to the lower grill. This car does not have ACC. The blue car does have ACC and the sensor is behind the flat part on the passenger side. (It uses radar instead of sonar, like the backup sensors, so it can easily see through the plastic).

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...dab44afcb4.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...97c53321c8.jpg

Why does the ACC work with the stock grille having a plastic cover over it but not work when the sensor is exposed like with the MMD V-series grille I have?

HoosierDaddy 11/14/17 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by 15GTS550 (Post 7022351)
Why does the ACC work with the stock grille having a plastic cover over it but not work when the sensor is exposed like with the MMD V-series grille I have?

Are you saying your ACC stopped working after you changed grills? Or are you asking why MMD or someone else says ACC won't work with the grill?

If the latter I suspect they are wrong about not being able to make it work with the grill. But you may need to fabricate new mounting, plus I don't know if I want my radar being bombarded by stones and bugs if it was exposed like you say.

mercedes2you 4/18/18 12:52 PM

2016 GT with ACC - MMD V series Lower Grille causes errors

Hi all,
I have a 2016 GT with Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC). I apparently missed the tiny technical note on American Muscle's website about the MMD V-Series Lower Grille NOT being compatible with ACC. I'm here to say that it is indeed NOT compatible. Even after trimming it, it throws a "collison sensor blocked" warning a few minutes after you start the car. That I could live with, but even with the Normal Cruise Control setting (not ACC), if you use Cruise Control - it's a continous annoying chime / warning that you can't get to go away - it pops up every few seconds.

Has anyone else had this problem and been able to resolve it? Is it possible to trim the lower grille more to make it work? I like the way it looks and don't want to take off both the upper and lower grille off and replace with stock or another style.

Thanks!