2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

No V6 premium?

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/14, 04:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No V6 premium?

No premium package for the V6? Can't build it on the Ford site. Maybe I haven't been paying attention...
Old 9/3/14, 04:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Yup, no premium pkg for the v6. Looks like Ford is sticking the v6 with rental dutys.
Old 9/3/14, 05:15 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
It was speculated a while back that Ford will probably phase out the V6 in a couple of years, and while I don't know the validity of that suggestion, the absence of a premium level for the 6 seems to make sense.

It looks like the Mustang engines will only be the EcoBoost, Coyote, and of course SVT variants.
Old 9/3/14, 05:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
It was speculated a while back that Ford will probably phase out the V6 in a couple of years, and while I don't know the validity of that suggestion, the absence of a premium level for the 6 seems to make sense.

It looks like the Mustang engines will only be the EcoBoost, Coyote, and of course SVT variants.
Hmmm. As long as they're offering the V6 at all, it seems shortsighted to me to not have the premium package. A lot of folks just aren't gonna buy that ecoboost engine (me for one, if I was buying). But I'd certainly want the leather interior... and it's a helluva step to the GT premium.
Old 9/3/14, 07:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wannabe
Hmmm. As long as they're offering the V6 at all, it seems shortsighted to me to not have the premium package. A lot of folks just aren't gonna buy that ecoboost engine (me for one, if I was buying). But I'd certainly want the leather interior... and it's a helluva step to the GT premium.
I agree, why deny that market. I don't see how this costs them money.

Dave
Old 9/4/14, 06:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
I agree, why deny that market. I don't see how this costs them money.

Dave
Because they really want people to buy the ecoboost option over the V6.
Old 9/4/14, 06:22 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Whether or not anyone actually sees better MPG in the real world (they probably won't), the ecoboost is rated higher than the V6 by the EPA. And remember the CAFE number is based on different numbers than the window sticker. So its possible the difference is even greater with that other calculation.
So every ecoboost that is sold instead of a V6 helps their corporate average. And while there are some who would refuse the ecoboost over the V6, the majority of consumers will take it for a test drive and be more than satisfied with it.
Old 9/4/14, 07:36 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by AWmustang
Whether or not anyone actually sees better MPG in the real world (they probably won't), the ecoboost is rated higher than the V6 by the EPA. And remember the CAFE number is based on different numbers than the window sticker. So its possible the difference is even greater with that other calculation.
So every ecoboost that is sold instead of a V6 helps their corporate average. And while there are some who would refuse the ecoboost over the V6, the majority of consumers will take it for a test drive and be more than satisfied with it.
I'm no expert by far but I would tend to agree with you, more power and better fuel economy makes it an obvious choice over the V6 (notice the V6 fuel economy is worse than last year. Ford had been pushing it's Ecoboost engine and it makes sense in a lot of applications. The V6 Ecoboost in the F150 is a great option for those who use a truck for DIY home projects but it's a bad option for someone that toes a boat.

Perhaps an Ecoboost V6 option in the mustang? (please don't kill me)
Old 9/4/14, 09:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Brian Moffat
I'm no expert by far but I would tend to agree with you, more power and better fuel economy makes it an obvious choice over the V6 (notice the V6 fuel economy is worse than last year. Ford had been pushing it's Ecoboost engine and it makes sense in a lot of applications. The V6 Ecoboost in the F150 is a great option for those who use a truck for DIY home projects but it's a bad option for someone that toes a boat. Perhaps an Ecoboost V6 option in the mustang? (please don't kill me)
V6 ecoboost is ideal for towing it produces the most torque and it all comes right off idle. Giving the turbos a half second to spool actually works better in towing applications where the driver isn't trying to floor it off the line instead gradually build rpms.
Old 9/4/14, 09:37 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by xlover
V6 ecoboost is ideal for towing it produces the most torque and it all comes right off idle. Giving the turbos a half second to spool actually works better in towing applications where the driver isn't trying to floor it off the line instead gradually build rpms.
Interesting information, thanks for the schooling. I was simply looking at fuel economy, I would think towing with a turbo would kill millage.
Old 9/4/14, 10:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Brian Moffat
Interesting information, thanks for the schooling. I was simply looking at fuel economy, I would think towing with a turbo would kill millage.
It brings the mileage back in line with what you would expect from and engine with 420lbft. That's the thing people miss with the ecoboost the idea is to return better mileage when you don't need the boost. DI helps some in all situations but when on the boost the mileage befits the power... However when idling it's just a 3.5 v6 where a 6.2 v8 is a 6.2 at idle
Old 9/4/14, 11:53 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by xlover
It brings the mileage back in line with what you would expect from and engine with 420lbft. That's the thing people miss with the ecoboost the idea is to return better mileage when you don't need the boost. DI helps some in all situations but when on the boost the mileage befits the power... However when idling it's just a 3.5 v6 where a 6.2 v8 is a 6.2 at idle
Hence why the City EPA is so good compared to a V8. BRILLIANT!
Old 9/4/14, 03:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

To be fair, my statement about not buying the ecoboost is based on experience with the 1.6L in the Escape. No complaints about the power delivery, but fuel economy was way off the mark and there were several engine related recalls. It may well have been only the 1.6 that had issues... but those issues will keep me out of anything 'ecoboost' until there isn't any other option. And I suspect I'm not the only one.

It is nice to read in the other thread that they've gone soft-touch on the premium door panels.
Old 9/4/14, 03:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wannabe
To be fair, my statement about not buying the ecoboost is based on experience with the 1.6L in the Escape. No complaints about the power delivery, but fuel economy was way off the mark and there were several engine related recalls. It may well have been only the 1.6 that had issues... but those issues will keep me out of anything 'ecoboost' until there isn't any other option. And I suspect I'm not the only one. It is nice to read in the other thread that they've gone soft-touch on the premium door panels.
That's why I really want to see the review on the ecoboost once they come out.
Old 9/4/14, 05:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mustangfan410
Agreed.
Old 9/5/14, 07:06 AM
V6 Member

I just went Coyote V8, it's my first mustang so I wanted to really enjoy the V8 performance. The Ecoboost did catch my eye because I'm a cheapskate when it comes to fuel costs.
Old 9/5/14, 08:55 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Yup, no premium pkg for the v6. Looks like Ford is sticking the v6 with rental dutys.
The rental Mustangs are V6 Premiums.
Old 9/5/14, 10:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Critical Mass
Because they really want people to buy the ecoboost option over the V6.

I believe this is the correct answer. I believe the V6 as we've known it will be phased out in the not so distant future....Ford is putting a lot of it's eggs in the Ecoboost design future.
Old 9/5/14, 10:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Having a 2013 Ecoboost Fusion I can say the initial MPG was much lower than expected. I now have about 21k miles on the car and am seeing huge improvements in the MPG. I routinely get 27mpg all around where I was getting 22-24 and almost 39 on long trips where I would get about 32-33.. So i think that these engines need to really break in.
Old 9/5/14, 09:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have 2 ecoboost vehicles right now. A 2014 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0L and a Ford Fiesta ST, both vehicles powerplants are great. In the escape the tranny is the weak part, but either way neither vehicle is even getting close to the rated MPG.

If you drive them like the throttle is made of an egg shell, well then maybe. In regular driving though I doubt the ecoboost motor will get better economy than the V6.

I get it Ford wants us to buy the Ecoboost motor, but if I wanted a car for a long term vehicle and didn't want the headache of dealing with a turbocharged car I would want the V6.

For me I want the Coyote or even better the Voodoo motor. I just don't think Ford should deny someone who wants the V6 the better creature comforts.

Dave

Quick Reply: No V6 premium?