2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Mustang design vs Camaro design

Search this Thread

Old 3/7/11, 07:57 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang design vs Camaro design

I know I'm new around here and all but.....I notice that everytime someone presents a more modern Mustang design everyone complains that it looks too much like a Camaro. Here is a thought, the Mustang invented the entire segment. The Camaro was and always will be Chevy's version of the Mustang. Therefore it is my opinion that our stallion can never look like a Camaro it's the other way around, the Camaro looks like a more modern less attractive Mustang. I'm all for SOME retro elements remaining a part of the next gen redesign but it's time to move the design forward. Just think about the Fox's. They were modern for their time, resemble the original in almost no way, and they were still identifiable as a Mustang. So what I'm looking forward to is essentially an updated Fox Stang with retro themes in small doses where they count.
Old 3/7/11, 08:35 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Well with Mays around, Fox styling is D...E...A...D, however from a packing standpoint, the Fox cars are head and shoulders above everything else Mustang when it came to a really good way to fit four people in a 180" x 69" x 51" car with a 100" wheel base (give or take a 1/2" or so here and there) compared to the current 188" x 74" x 56" car with a 107" wheelbase (give or take a 1/2" or so here and there).
Old 3/7/11, 09:05 PM
Bullitt Member

I like that the Camaro has newer styling, but without the ability to see out of the car, without a better quality interior, and without losing some pounds, it is just not as good. I would like it to be a much better car. Hopefully it will soon, but I am not counting on it.

Edit: I mean that I would like the Camaro to be a much nicer car than what it is now. I do not wish that it is better than the mustang. But, this current styling is nice for the mustang, but newer styling will help it sell more, if done right.

Last edited by Itravelalot; 3/7/11 at 10:39 PM.
Old 3/7/11, 09:26 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
no! ford shouldnt do that
Old 3/7/11, 09:49 PM
V6 Member

Bob, you hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what I was referring to. The overall packaging of the fox, it's general proportions. Just to be clear I don't want to see any styling themes from the fox.....well on second thought I would love to see a hatchback and maybe tail lights that stretch almost across the entire rear of the car.
Old 3/7/11, 09:52 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I would love a modern fox. Not the styling but the size. It would weigh less but still have the new 5.0 which will be making at least Boss hp by then. It would be wicked fast.
Old 3/8/11, 09:36 AM
Cobra Member

When people say "looks like a Camaro" they mean every single sketch or rendering of a "modern Mustang" has a squashed, chopped top roof line with 6" tall side windows kind of like the current Camaro.

Why do people think modern = chopped top look? That look is NOT modern. The look came from hot rod coupes from the '40s and '50s
Old 3/8/11, 10:25 AM

I think the FoxStang represents a good box for the NextStang to fit within, size-wise, if perhaps with a bit more wheelbase/less overhang, especially in the front. the FoxStang certainly was far superior in overall packaging efficiency than later, or former, models.

I also loved the generous glass area of the greenhouse which let allowed one to commune with the outside world and road, not shy away from it like some sulking child. Hopefully the Erkel'esque beltlines and gun-bunker glazing -- reaching its nadir of ridiculousness in the Camaro -- will give way to more panoramic views. I would rather the heavy, bulky, Rubenesque proportions of many of today's cars, Mustang included, will give way to a trimmer, tauter and lighter aspect that still conveys great athleticism, though more decathlete than Sumo wrestler.

While I think the NextStang should certainly be a more modern interpretation of the Mustang's stylistic DNA, I would not use the FoxStang itself as the model.

I would welcome the return of the hatchback, despite the fact that the concept of a hatchback seems to give some people a case of the hives for no real rational reason that I can fathom (some reflexive, overly broad association of hatchbacks with econocars perhaps). Well designed hatchbacks can be just as light, solid and sleek as a trunk model -- basically being stylistically indistinguishable as to whether its a trunk or hatch -- yet up the utilitarian quotient by an order of magnitude. My old Probe GT, as sleek, tight and light as they come, was remarkable in what it could gobble up for, say, an extended weekend triathlon with my wife and I (two bikes, gear, suitcases, more stuff) all contained neatly and safely within.
Old 3/8/11, 01:13 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd like to see a hatchback, too. Fold down the rear seats and you can haul a lot of stuff. Not that the Mustang is supposed to be a cargo hauler, but it's nice to have that ability on occasion. And as one more throwback to the eighties, I wouldn't mind seeing T-tops make a comeback.
Old 3/8/11, 04:07 PM
V6 Member

I think a lot of people mistake concept sketches as what a car will actually look like. Remember they are just exaggerated stylized versions of a potential car. They are meant to turn heads and highlight design themes, not to be proportionally correct for daily driving purposes. Chevy made that same mistake when it turned the concept Camaro into a production vehicle.
Old 3/12/11, 04:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

The next generation can be as modern as...anything...but the people who say that must scream "Mustang!" are correct. Whatever happens to the head lights and tail lights that body has be identifible as a Mustang. Mustang! It must look and sound like a Mustang. BMWs always look like BMWs.....well most of the time.
Old 4/6/11, 06:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The horror ...

Here's a nice side by side. Coincidence or not?
Attached Images   
Old 4/6/11, 10:36 AM

I like what ford did with the Fox Bodys engine wise but I think they where the Ugliest of all the Mustangs(even worse than the Mustang 2) but...I'm not here to Ick anyones WOW. I really like the styling of the 05-09 models(no matter how many problems they may have) but I have always thought a smaller, lighter, Mustang would be cool. I'd rather they make a car that looks like its from the 60s than the 80s.
Old 4/6/11, 11:25 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just could never love a Fox - even with the 5.0 and Mad Max styling of the day.

Too many 'almosts' with those dang Black & White CHP's cruisin' I-5 wanting to nail you. I mean they just oozed "go ahead - I dare ya - give me a reason to hit the lights and go in pursuit"! Fear inspiring!!

Cain't drive a cop car... just cain't do it. lol

Old 4/6/11, 11:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sinisterbullitt
The horror ...

Here's a nice side by side. Coincidence or not?
This does not compute.
Old 4/6/11, 12:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
I just could never love a Fox - even with the 5.0 and Mad Max styling of the day.

Too many 'almosts' with those dang Black & White CHP's cruisin' I-5 wanting to nail you. I mean they just oozed "go ahead - I dare ya - give me a reason to hit the lights and go in pursuit"! Fear inspiring!!

Cain't drive a cop car... just cain't do it. lol

So the Z28 Camaro would be out for you then?

Mad Max? Beyond Thunder Dome or Pre-Thunder Dome?
Old 4/6/11, 12:11 PM

I'd rather they make a car that looks like its from the 60s than the 80s.
I'd rather they make a car that looks like it's from the 2010s than, well, any 19whatevers.

Yes, keep the distinguishing Mustang DNA, but design a fully 21st century Mustang rather some rolling reminiscence of a by-gone day. There is nothing to say that the 2015 Mustang can't be both fully modern and fully a Mustang at the same time. The words "Mustang" and "modern" aren't and should never be mutually exclusive. The 1965 Mustang was a modern car when introduced and so should the 2015 Mustang.

Last edited by rhumb; 4/6/11 at 12:13 PM.
Old 4/6/11, 09:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Automagically

This does not compute.
Well its mustang design vs Camaro design. ...
Old 6/14/11, 07:14 AM

The 1979-1993 Fox Mustangs were fun cars (I bought a few of them new) and a nice styling change from the chunky Mustang II predecessor ...but in hindsight, the Foxes were the least attractive of any Mustang, by far, in my opinion. It didn't help that Ford made the Foxes for way too long (due to the Mazdastang fiasco) resulting in very dated styling by 1993. I hope Ford never returns to Fox styling. When I see one of them today, I admire and reminisce about the simple mechanicals, but really dislike the styling. The much-maligned Mustang II Cobra or King Cobra looked much better than any Mustang during the 1979-93 years, IMO.
Old 6/16/11, 08:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hurry up NexStang!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...oubt-cars.html

Quick Reply: Mustang design vs Camaro design