Repair & Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

MT-82 Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 7/27/18, 10:47 AM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There were a crap-ton of complaints about the MT-82 Transmission when I got my 13 - I did find that I would be locked out of 2nd or 3rd when shifting quickly close to red-line, I also found that the clutch would not fully engage or disengage (first time the clutch stuck to the floor freaked me out!) - but for daily driving and occasional hard pulls, I never found the MT-82 to be anything other than ok... never modded anything for it, although it was beginning to irritate me and the transmission was next on the mod list.

That being said, after 200 miles in the A10 2018 auto, it irks me that I'm not in total control of when to shift, however I'm getting used to it, and the fact that there is very little torque loss when doing hard pulls has really messed up my ability to corner, I was used to the power loss and the power gain, took a corner a little fast and found myself going a little faster than expected this morning...

The MT-82 has had issues for the past 8ish years, thus my deciding on the auto (and being nearly 50, my back is appreciating not using a clutch anymore).

Last edited by Xar; 7/27/18 at 10:48 AM.
Old 7/31/19, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old school I am

Originally Posted by bob47
I understand that the MT-82 transmission was redesigned for the 2018 model year. I also understand they went to aluminum shift forks, but other than the 2 guys on Utube having trouble with the shift forks, I have not been able to find anyone else to see if this is a major problem with this transmission. Hence the post. I have not seen anyone on this forum that has had a problem. So I am trying to find out this information before I take delivery.
As title above I've had many trans in the Ford Chevy dodge categories. This is a nice trans but no speed shifting and as I said old school my 19 is in the shop at 1600 miles broken shift fork. Some fool pulld out on me and long story short. I clutched it brake and 5 to 2 at 60 mph to down shift but I didn't let off clutch to motor help slow it down. After the sorries for pulling out on me I proceeded to be on my way. Let me find out I really did break the **** fork. I did no second gear engagement. Just happens sat. Will repost time frame of getting. Fixed. Also not just me but my boys and buddy all have missed 2 on easy and speedy shifts. Fyi
Old 9/16/19, 06:31 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Awesome Ford. The MT-82 already wasn't rated to handle the power the coyote made in 2011, let alone 2013 or 2015. I have a brilliant idea. Let's make it even more fragile for the 2018 with even MORE power.
I have only owned a Tremec in my 2004 Mach 1....& Shelby. ....I'm pretty sure if you drive & shift the MT82 like a mature adult it will operate properly.....street racing is not ok.....if you can't afford to take it to the track.....then you should be driving a truck or Fusion......
Old 9/16/19, 06:35 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Xar
There were a crap-ton of complaints about the MT-82 Transmission when I got my 13 - I did find that I would be locked out of 2nd or 3rd when shifting quickly close to red-line, I also found that the clutch would not fully engage or disengage (first time the clutch stuck to the floor freaked me out!) - but for daily driving and occasional hard pulls, I never found the MT-82 to be anything other than ok... never modded anything for it, although it was beginning to irritate me and the transmission was next on the mod list.

That being said, after 200 miles in the A10 2018 auto, it irks me that I'm not in total control of when to shift, however I'm getting used to it, and the fact that there is very little torque loss when doing hard pulls has really messed up my ability to corner, I was used to the power loss and the power gain, took a corner a little fast and found myself going a little faster than expected this morning...

The MT-82 has had issues for the past 8ish years, thus my deciding on the auto (and being nearly 50, my back is appreciating not using a clutch anymore).
Agreed.....I have an auto in my 2012 GT.....and don't abuse it......works fine.....the Shelbys & 2004 models use Tremec
Old 10/11/19, 02:36 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Similar issues in BMW

I know it doesn’t really help, but some of the issues from the MT-82 are also present in my BMW M2. I’ve gotten gear grind and missed 1-2 shifts while accelerating and turning. And that’s a $60k car!

Both Cars need slow, deliberate shifts.
Old 3/2/20, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GT MT82

I just recently had my MT82 rebuilt; new 2nd gear, fork pads, bushings, synchros, ring packs, reverse ring, snap rings, front seals, output shaft seal, and gear plug. The trans was stiff when I got it back and after about 100 miles it has loosened up and it shifts really smooth. However, when I try to go into reverse, I can hear the forks moving but nothing happens. No matter if the key is on or clutch or no clutch, nothing happens. I have a stock shifter, and can’t find anywhere that there is any sort of adjustment for the reverse, any ideas on what it could be? Could there be something in the trans when it was reversed that is not letting it go fully into reverse?
Old 3/3/20, 09:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
I don't know, but I would think that the shop that rebuilt it, should fix it