MT-82 Transmission Problems - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

2015 - 2020 Discuss the Current Generation

MT-82 Transmission Problems

Old 6/6/18, 01:24 PM   #1  

MT-82 Transmission Problems

Has anyone had any problems with 2018 MT-82 transmission or clutch?
bob47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join The Mustang Source

Join TheMustangSource.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Mustang fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Mustang Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your stang, and have a great time with other Ford Mustang fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Mustang you'll find that TheMustangSource.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TheMustangSource.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Old 6/7/18, 08:57 AM   #2  
Bullitt Member

Check You Tube, there are a bunch of issues on there.
13GetThere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 13GetThere For This Useful Post:
bob47 (6/10/18)
Old 6/7/18, 03:00 PM   #3  
V6 Member

MT-82 was revised in 2018 and has had major issues with the all new aluminum shift forks which are breaking off under hard use. Ford is working on a fix but many owners are driving rental cars waiting for new trannys to be made. What a fiasco!! The previous MT-82 has steel forks which will not work in the new units it has been reported.
roger blose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6/9/18, 12:06 PM   #4  

It will be interesting to see if this is a wide spread problem or isolated to the two posts on youtube from owners that have beat the crap out of their 2018 Mustangs. Any car can be broken if enough abuse is heaped upon them. It may be a flaw in the 2018 6sp transmission only time will tell. I have a 2018 GT with the manual trans and all is well so far. I run it hard on occasion but not all of the time. There is one post on youtube where a 10sp trans was replaced under warranty. No cars are perfect.
2018GT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2018GT For This Useful Post:
wanted33 (6/12/18)
Old 6/10/18, 10:47 AM   #5  

I saw the posts on u-tube and those two guys are talking like they are having major transmission problems. I just put an order on a 2019 Bullitt and it had me a little worried. That's why I put the post out on this forum to see if anyone else had any problems. Thanks for your reply.
Old 6/10/18, 02:01 PM   #6  
Shelby GT500 Member

To put you guys at ease my '14 GT Track Pack with the MT82 is still doing ok. Shifts are notchy sometimes, and when it's cold I need to double clutch to shift smootly, but the car has seen 15 track days till date and when it's all warmed up all is well.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6/11/18, 08:34 AM   #7  
V6 Member

Again, Ford changed to aluminum shift forks in the 2018 revised MT-82 tranny while at the same time adding more HP and torque. The previous 15-17 MT-82s had steel forks so what an engineering fiasco. Word has it that the company is on backorder for new replacement transmissions hence the Mustang owners driving rental cars. Sadly the new Bullet can only come with a 6 speed and it has even higher HP! Someone news to be fired!
Old 6/11/18, 11:15 AM   #8  

I understand that the MT-82 transmission was redesigned for the 2018 model year. I also understand they went to aluminum shift forks, but other than the 2 guys on Utube having trouble with the shift forks, I have not been able to find anyone else to see if this is a major problem with this transmission. Hence the post. I have not seen anyone on this forum that has had a problem. So I am trying to find out this information before I take delivery.
Old 6/11/18, 11:40 PM   #9  
Play Date Madam
TMS Staff

Awesome Ford. The MT-82 already wasn't rated to handle the power the coyote made in 2011, let alone 2013 or 2015. I have a brilliant idea. Let's make it even more fragile for the 2018 with even MORE power.
laserred38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6/12/18, 08:40 AM   #10  
V6 Member

If this MT-82 failure rate is not that big, how come Ford cannot supply replacement trannys for the suffering drivers? They are backordered and the internal forks cannot be ordered separately either based on reports. If you have a 2018 stick, just drive it carefully and no power swifting until they have a factory TSB / fix. Then you have to break it to get a replacement unit in the years ahead I guess.
Old 6/12/18, 11:58 AM   #11  
Cobra R Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
I understand that the MT-82 transmission was redesigned for the 2018 model year. I also understand they went to aluminum shift forks, but other than the 2 guys on Utube having trouble with the shift forks, I have not been able to find anyone else to see if this is a major problem with this transmission. Hence the post. I have not seen anyone on this forum that has had a problem. So I am trying to find out this information before I take delivery.

I think you answered your own question right there Bob. All car forums on the net are the place most people come to talk about the problems they have. Few come to the forums to say how great their car has been. So, if you haven't found any except the two YouTube guys and a few broken forks, I would think the vast majority of the MT82's are working fine. Don't let this minute bit of evidence worry you. It's much more fun searching for mods, and anticipating that Bullet's arrival. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of that beauty.

BTW, it's the same with the GM A8 transmissions on the Corvette forum I'm a member of. There where some bad ones in the 15's, and early 16's, so going by those many members believe all the A8's are crap. My 03/16 built A8 C7 has been just fine.
wanted33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wanted33 For This Useful Post:
bob47 (6/15/18)