Notices
2015 - 2020 Discuss the Current Generation

Key fob locked inside mustang

Old 8/26/17, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there is an emergency key slot in the door handle. but you need the key (not the fob) although there is a key inside the fob also.
Old 8/29/17, 10:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts
The Jeep Grand Cherokee keys work great too... except when the Wife puts her fob in the bottom of the console cup holder because she does not want it in her pocket or her very small purse. Ruins her outfit... She then found the kryptonite magic combination of putting a semi full bottle of water on top of it. You know that is what cup holders are for.

Evidently the key fob can no longer be detected because the radio waves are blocked by water. This combo allowed her to push the door handle lock button on the outside of the car and whala... she locked herself out of the vehicle.

The funnier part is that She thought she had the key fob with her and she lost the key in a fairly good sized bedding plant nursery. She spent a couple hours looking through every possible area of the nursery she had visited to try and find her fob. Digging through who knows how many plants.

When she finally gave up and called our son to have him make the hour round trip to get the other key she discovered the missing fob in the cup holder. Typically it will make all kinds of noise and refuse to lock when the fob is inside. But not this time.

After that we later tried all kinds of possibilities to see if we could lock it inside. Nothing doing... Seems like the water keeps the RF signals from getting out and being detected. Now she knows...

Likely this will affect most of these smart key fobs so be ware...
Old 7/6/19, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 mustang key fob

Happened 2 me last nite. Started 2 rain put car windows up with six power on for lights. Left key in car closed door and could not get in or unlock doors. I was lucky 1 door was not fully shut. Was able to get wire and fish my key fob close enough to pull it out the gap between gasket and window. What is annoying is I did not even lock the doors. I did not think doors would lock if key was inside.

Last edited by Robert Gartside; 7/6/19 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Mispelling
Old 7/7/19, 10:56 AM
Post *****

Received 162 Likes on 147 Posts
Mine will not stay locked with the fob inside the car 2018