The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Repair & Service Help (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f885/)
-   -   Key fob locked inside mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f885/key-fob-locked-inside-mustang-538535/)

Earlsays 8/22/15 12:43 PM

Key fob locked inside mustang

Yesterday I took delivery of a new 15 GT Premium...I walked outside to put my sun shade in the windshield, placing the keys/fob on the passenger seat, shut the door...all lights and accessories are on, engine is not running, doors are shut, windows are shut, doors won't unlock no matter what I try. Ford road side on their way over.

maverick1125 8/22/15 01:13 PM

You only got one set of keys with your new car? My 2014 came with two.

Earlsays 8/22/15 01:18 PM

No, I have two, the other is at home. 200 miles away.

exchallenger 8/22/15 03:30 PM

At least you called for roadside assistance instead of busting out the windshield to get in.

Lake_Vert 8/22/15 06:24 PM

Turn off the autolock feature.

My wifes charger won't lock the doors or trunk with keys inside.

Glenn 8/22/15 06:48 PM

wait are you inside or outside the car??

Earlsays 8/23/15 03:06 AM

Keys where on the passenger seat. I think it was because I pushed the engine start button, car throught it was occupied.

wannabe 8/23/15 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Lake_Vert (Post 6942995)
Turn off the autolock feature.

My wifes charger won't lock the doors or trunk with keys inside.

I don't think autolock has anything to do with it. Unless Ford smart keys aren't as smart as Chrysler and Nissan (to name two), they're not supposed to lock themselves in the vehicle.

jonser 8/23/15 11:23 PM

I did that the first week I had my new Mustang.Ford road service came out and got into the car the old fashioned way with a bladder and a wire. The fob thing is something to get used to.

AWmustang 8/25/15 10:29 AM

I don't understand how this could happen. The car is not running, but is "on". The key is inside. You open the door (which unlocks it) and get out and close the door. How does it end up locked?

HizliBullet 8/25/15 10:56 AM

http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/k...ant-you-38.png

Mick St John 8/27/15 01:54 PM

I don't understand how this could happen. Our Miata and Volkswagen both have keyless ignition and it is impossible to lock the car from the outside if the fob is in the trunk or cabin.
Maybe Mazda can teach Ford how to design a keyless system.
Anyway, when my new Mustang arrives, I will take special care not to leave the fob inside the car.

cczx14r 8/28/15 06:51 AM

My GT is on order, so it would be nice to see someone here experiment to see if this situation can truly occur?! We once had a 2011 Dodge Durango and it was impossible for the fob to lock it's self inside the vehicle.

tom281 8/31/15 11:56 AM

If the fob is close by (or in the car in this particular case) can't you lock and or unlock the door by thumbing the door handle?

I know you can lock it not sure if you can unlock it.

AWmustang 9/10/15 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by tom281 (Post 6944324)
If the fob is close by (or in the car in this particular case) can't you lock and or unlock the door by thumbing the door handle?

I know you can lock it not sure if you can unlock it.

It's supposed to be able to tell if the key is inside or outside the vehicle. On our Explorer and Focus, if the key is outside (like if you get in the car but the key is in your hand as your reach to close the door) the car won't start until the key is actually inside the vehicle.

Likewise if I leave the key inside the car, the lock functions won't work on the outside door. Further if I put the key inside the car, hit the lock button on the dash to lock the doors and shut the door, the door immediately unlocks itself. I have personally tested both of these scenarios.

It appears that the programming is different with the Mustang.

tom281 9/10/15 09:22 AM

Well that's silly! Sounds like it works well in the other vehicles I wonder if they'll have a software update for the mustang?

SpectreH 9/10/15 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by tom281 (Post 6945630)
Well that's silly! Sounds like it works well in the other vehicles I wonder if they'll have a software update for the mustang?

The bigger question is why would they program the Mustang differently than their other cars to begin with?

wannabe 9/10/15 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by SpectreH (Post 6945631)
The bigger question is why would they program the Mustang differently than their other cars to begin with?

The bigger BIGGER question is if they actually do try to fix it, what else is going to stop working as a result?

Earlsays 9/10/15 07:01 PM

For the record, this hasn't happ again-I have tried to replicate and can't make it happen, who knows...

Natie35 7/22/17 07:29 AM