Old 2/10/15, 12:27 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GT and Ecoboost Reviewed by Billy Johnson

The GT

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ustang-GT.aspx

And the EB

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...coboost.aspx?4

I thought both were well written and had a lot of fairly unbiased information in them.

Short review: He likes both for different reasons.
Old 2/10/15, 01:16 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
These comments stood out to me. Good report!

the Ecoboost spools up with just enough power to overwhelm the rear 255 PZeros, sending the car into smile-inducing powerslides. I was very happy with the power to grip ratio of the Ecoboost and found it to be a really fun car to drive. With its more balanced chassis, it may be more fun than the GT on a tight, twisty mountain road.

Thanks to its short 94.5” wheelbase it is also extremely twitchy, which makes them extremely fast on autocrosses and tight tracks but that advantage quickly disappears on larger tracks. Unfortunately their inherent go-kart like nature makes the S2000 a poor platform for sideways antics when compared to the 107” wheelbase of the Ecoboost which is easy to sustain long slides.

Since the Mustang has the greatest aftermarket industry of any car in history, Mustang owners tend to customize their cars to their own personal tastes. For the performance driver, adding a good suspension setup will wake up the Ecoboost to improve the response and performance of the car even further. Since solid axle S197 GTs can become M3-beaters on the track with aftermarket suspension, the S550 is a much better platform to start with and I have no doubt the aftermarket will make these cars even better.

The engine revs freely to redline, but like most modern turbocharged cars, the turbo peaks early at 2,750rpm and remains flat until about 5,200rpm where it falls off to its 6,750rpm redline, creating peak power at 5,750rpm. This is the major characteristic that separates turbocharged engines from high performing naturally aspirated engines with (lower) flat torque curves that pull all the way to redline. There is no one ‘right’ way, and although the purists may prefer a high screaming naturally aspirated engine like an S2000 or S65 V8 M3 (which are gutless if you aren’t pegging them at redline), I’ve grown to really appreciate the low end torque of turbocharged cars like the Ecoboost Mustang, Nissan GTR, BMW M4, etc…

While rated at 310 horsepower and 320 torque at the crank, many Ecoboosts are putting down anywhere from 258whp & 277wtq to 279whp & 299wtq, depending on temperature and the octane of fuel being used. Tunes alone are seeing 20-25whp and 40-47wtq increases over stock. Like all turbocharged cars, freeing up the intake and exhaust yield huge gains, especially allowing the engine to breathe above 5,000rpm. Some cars are eclipsing 300whp and 340wtq from a handful of bolt-ons and hitting mid 12’s in the 1/4mile. Many shops are now experimenting with turbo swaps on the Ecoboost and are projecting over 400whp with a modest turbo and 700whp+ with built internals.

I will reiterate my recommendation for the GT: If you have any interest in driving in a spirited nature, GET THE PERFORMANCE PACKAGE. The $1,995 premium is well worth the time and labor it would take to upgrade each component that is improved in this package. The standard 3.15 final drive is a bit sluggish and feels like you are missing 30 horsepower when compared to the 3.55 final drive in the Performance Package which gives you near-Supra acceleration.
Old 2/10/15, 01:19 PM
Post *****

(can't edit IB still )

And I've always held the Getrag 6spd needs 3.55 to feel like 3.73's on the Tremec 5spd.
Old 2/10/15, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco

I will reiterate my recommendation for the GT: If you have any interest in driving in a spirited nature, GET THE PERFORMANCE PACKAGE. The $1,995 premium is well worth the time and labor it would take to upgrade each component that is improved in this package. The standard 3.15 final drive is a bit sluggish and feels like you are missing 30 horsepower when compared to the 3.55 final drive in the Performance Package which gives you near-Supra acceleration.
I can't stress this enough. The extra $1995 on the Ecoboost ($2495 on the GT) is well worth it; The performance package is a must buy. He was spot on for this and in his GT review.
Old 2/10/15, 03:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
Thanks for the links. Good review
Old 2/10/15, 03:25 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I couldn't help it

I had to fix typo in title

OCD
Old 2/10/15, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I couldn't help it

I had to fix typo in title

OCD
Normally I am as well ... Musta missed it
Old 2/10/15, 03:58 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffreyDJ
Or you were just willing to settle once again.
Old 2/10/15, 04:03 PM
Post *****

It said "GT ane Ecoboost"

I just wanted credit for doing my job for a change
Old 2/10/15, 04:14 PM
Post *****

These comments on the GT stood out to me. I like how he was balanced in his comparison with praise for the S197 rather than the typical mindless bash of anything SRA.

The Mustang has come a long way since 1964. I would say the 4th generation “S197” chassis from 2005-2014 was probably the tipping point which saw a departure from the stereotypical drag-racing image to a car with a competent chassis that could handle well and give M3 owners a run for their money on both the drag strip and road course. 2011 marked the return of the “5.0” which produced 412 underrated ponies under the hood which turned the Mustang GT into a formidable competitor to the 6-speed M3 in a straight line, staying within a couple tenths of it to 60 and the ¼ mile. The DTC-equipped M3 holds a noticeable advantage due to the shorter gears, extra gears, and faster shifting.

Despite having a solid axle, the S197 was a huge improvement in terms of torsional rigidity, handling, and refinement over the 4th gen “SN95” chassis (1994-2004) which is very similar to the 1979 3rd gen Foxbody under its skin. Thanks to its all new chassis and 3-link rear suspension with a panhard bar, the S197 is one of the best handling solid axle production cars in history. If you add a set of good tires and of coilovers (or in BOSS 302 trim) the Mustang could give M3s a really hard time in the corners.

Now the biggest criticism in the past for the Mustang was its solid axle’s performance over bumps. That problem is completely solved with the new integral link rear suspension. I’ve never really opposed the solid axle since it does have some strengths as well as weaknesses compared to an independent rear suspension, and while I admit the weight of the solid axle was noticeable with stock V6 and GT suspensions, a set of coilovers or BOSS 302 suspension really mask these negatives for both bumpy roads and on track performance. I’m not sure if many journalists just spew out the same critiques that they read from their peers, but a BOSS or GT with coilovers is a very impressive handling package that does not get very upset from bumps. But I digress, the new GT handles bumps and dips with greatly reduced unsprung weight and brings the Mustang into the 21st century.

The suspension in the Performance Pack does feel slightly ‘sportier’ than the GT, and you can feel more nooks and bumps in the road. The stiffer high speed damping does not crash over bumps but it would give me the expectation that the car would also have more low speed damping to make the car more responsive and on its feet, but it didn’t have quite enough for me. The Performance Package was not as harsh as say an M3 in ‘sport’ suspension mode but it also flopped a bit more in transitions than the M3, however it is substantially better and more nimble than the outgoing car.

There is the typical safe entry understeer for the masses but the car gets down to an apex better than I remember the old S197 being able to, which was the biggest weakness for the older car. Through the middle of the corner, the car feels a little more on its feet over bumps which you would expect from an IRS rear suspension, and just like all Mustangs should and BMW’s are known for: the new GT has tons of power-on oversteer happiness thanks to its big torquey V8. The car transitions into a nice powerslide smoothly and it’s easy to hang the rear end out while the car seems to squat down on the outside rear a bit.

Hit the middle pedal hard and I’m happy to report the car has significantly less brake dive. Where the S197 seemed to hike the rear end up in the air and pin the nose to the ground like a motorcycle ‘stoppie’, the new S550 has a much flatter and better controlled body motion with a lot more anti-dive and anti-squat than the outgoing car. The overall platform tracks flatter with less dive, squat, and body roll than the S197, which is what you expect from a sports car.

Overall the new Mustang has taken a big step toward being a sports car... To put things into perspective, this was a Mustang GT with a Performance Package that I was comparing to an M3, BMW’s top 3 series model that costs almost twice as much.

Since the S197 was transformed to mask its solid axle characteristics and improve handling to the point of being an M3-fighter, I can only imagine how good the S550 will be with a few modifications. Heck, there’s already a 600+ horsepower supercharger kit out for the GT. I think owning and modifying a Mustang will be even better than ever.

>and the battery remains in the engine bay. Due to the Mustang’s improved weight distribution, relocating it to the trunk would alone probably yield a 50/50 weight distribution.

>(for typesredline who disagrees with 450... ) While there have been improvements of the 5.0L “Coyote” V8, from larger intake and exhaust valves, revised cam profiles, stiffer valve springs, and a different intake manifold to increase the output to a still underrated 435 horsepower and 400 lb-ft of torque (380whp/360wtq) the engine feels and sounds familiar, like a Mustang.
Old 2/10/15, 05:52 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,317 Likes on 1,728 Posts
It said "GT ane Ecoboost" I just wanted credit for doing my job for a change
There's a first!
Old 2/10/15, 06:06 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
There's a first!
Don't poke the help

Old 2/10/15, 06:37 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Don't poke the help

That's what the ol' lady said when I mentioned getting a maid.
Old 2/10/15, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't stress this enough. The extra $1995 on the Ecoboost ($2495 on the GT) is well worth it; The performance package is a must buy. He was spot on for this and in his GT review.
Debating on the PP or the "Wheel and Stripe" package right now. Idk if I really need the PP.
Old 2/10/15, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by AUBStang
Debating on the PP or the "Wheel and Stripe" package right now. Idk if I really need the PP.
Are you looking at an EB or GT? If so ... The Performance Pack is the best bang for the buck on both models. I wouldn't get either without it if you plan on any sort of "spirited" driving on back country roads (or similar). (You've also got to like black wheels or change them out, because that's the only wheel available in the PP).

If you're just driving around town, you may not need it.
Old 2/10/15, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Or you were just willing to settle once again.
Perhaps, ane there's no guarantee I would have fixed it
Old 2/10/15, 08:11 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
That's what the ol' lady said when I mentioned getting a maid.
"I'm on first and first. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe!"
Old 2/10/15, 08:42 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the PP on my GT and can tell you those brakes are VERY nice for pulling you to a complete stop when situations require it. It rides smoother than my RAV4 and takes corners so much better than my 90.
Old 2/10/15, 08:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
"I'm on first and first. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe!"
Take a look at this letter

P

Now imagine it's a street. Now you know. lol
Old 2/10/15, 09:03 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

There's nothing more sophisticated than diddling the maid and then chewing some gum.

Quick Reply: GT and Ecoboost Reviewed by Billy Johnson