The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2015 - 2023 MUSTANG (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f806/)
-   -   Gave thought to an S550 (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f806/gave-thought-s550-541208/)

TripleBlack14 4/23/16 04:59 AM

Gave thought to an S550

Not here to bash Gen6. On the contrary, I actually like the S550 after initially poo pooing it.

Yesterday I got a typical, unsolicited letter from a local Ford dealer (not mine) suggesting that they'd give $6250 off on an in-stock '15/'16 Ford and pay off my loan. So for sh!ts and giggles I configured a '16 GT ragtop, ran a KBB trade-in value, and crunched some numbers.

Assuming I'd be willing to take a hit on the mods I've done to my '14, the monthly payments would be less that what I'm presently on the hook for. I'd still lose some $$$ but I'd be willing to absorb it under the right circumstances.

Once I was satisfied with the numbers and financial compromises, I realized that there's no compelling reason to walk away from my 2014. I love the car and I'm still crazy about the S197 styling. The only thing I have issue with is the love/hate relationship with black, and that's just not justification for a change.

Of course, a GT350 is a different story. But my calculator shorted out when I plugged in the numbers.

I'm staying old school.

UOP Shadow 4/23/16 06:23 AM

Have you driven the S550? Not just the typical "around the block" test drive, drive it for an hour. We loved our 2013 but after a few long test drives in the S550, I saw the huge improvements in the ride & interior.

It really is significantly better.

TripleBlack14 4/23/16 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by UOP Shadow (Post 6978455)
Have you driven the S550? Not just the typical "around the block" test drive, drive it for an hour. We loved our 2013 but after a few long test drives in the S550, I saw the huge improvements in the ride & interior.

I've heard nothing but great things about the S550, and I'm sure it's everything that you and others say. But if I'm going to step up it'd be in a really profound way, like a GT350. It's the only coupe I'd give up my drop-top for. Right now the numbers don't favor me, but perhaps down the road. In the meantime my '14 makes me smile every time I think about it, look at it, and drive it.

Stage_3 4/23/16 08:24 AM

I've thought about it many a times as well Tom. I could just about break even with a trade-in and then I would have to mod the S550, so I'd be on the hook for thousands. Doesn't make financial sense for me right now. Plus, I want to see what the new GT500 has to offer.
I was like you, I originally HATED the S550 body style. Still not 100% in love with it, but I do really like it. I guess after having it a while, it would grow on me.
Good luck going forward sir!

Jazzman442 4/23/16 08:29 AM

Im with Stage 3 on this. I am not sure I like it yet. I really don't like the out side. The interior is fantastic. I bought my 2014 for pure performance. It has not disappointed me one bit. The other day I was at my local track and a new GT 350 pulled into race. I could not wait to see how fast it was. I wanted the new GT 350 but was not willing to pay a dealer an up charge. Well I am glad I did not get one. My 2014 was almost a .5 second faster than the Gt 350. I am so confused by that.
I had a older guy stop me one day with a new S550. He said he loves the ride and interior but the performance has a lot more to go. He just traded a 2014 for the 2015. I think he said it best.

dgc333 4/23/16 08:37 AM

I was never a Mustang guy, didn't dislike them but didn't like them enough to buy one until the S550 came out.

It's been a little over a year and almost 25k miles and it still puts a smile on my face every time I look at it or drive it.

2011 Kona Blue 4/23/16 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by dgc333 (Post 6978481)
I was never a Mustang guy, didn't dislike them but didn't like them enough to buy one until the S550 came out.

It's been a little over a year and almost 25k miles and it still puts a smile on my face every time I look at it or drive it.

Couldn't feel more opposite. Love the 10-14 S197's but the S550's are pretty hideous looking. That rear end is just god awful ugly. Not an ounce of muscle look. Its a euro looking sports car and an ugly one at that. To each their own! I'll be waiting for the next generation stang , 2025!

m05fastbackGT 4/23/16 11:47 PM

You wont have to wait until 2025.. Ford moved up production of the next generation Stang to 2020..

Dmagil01US 4/24/16 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by UOP Shadow (Post 6978455)

I just drove both models yesterday, each 260 miles, the same route. I was happy with the way the 2011 handled and comfort but I must admit the 2016 was a completely different ride, the independent suspension and the tightness of the steering was a drastic improvement. The only thing I found flawed on the 2016 was first gear, it is basically useless. It must be designed for people who don't know how to drive a manual shift is all I can think of. The brembo brakes took about 20 miles to get used to, but they also saved me about 3 miles from home when some dipswitch in an SUV decided to pull out of their driveway and completely cut me off. So far happy I traded the 2011 for the 2016. The only other I'll say is Ford has completely revamped there extended warranty programs. I went with the shadow black which I know allot of you don't like but it's my car and I do like it so that's really all that matters, I was going to get the ruby red until for the last 9 months that's all I've seen on the highway, I also really like the race red but insurance companies don't, lol, can't stand the impact blue, and to get the price on offer it was either shadow black or ruby red. The dealer I went to has several models still in their lot of anyone is looking and all have an initial dealer incentive mark off of $5000 taking the price into the high 30's instead of mid 40's, PM if you want the dealers name.

Stage_3 4/24/16 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dmagil01US (Post 6978560)
I just drove both models yesterday, each 260 miles, the same route. I was happy with the way the 2011 handled and comfort but I must admit the 2016 was a completely different ride, the independent suspension and the tightness of the steering was a drastic improvement. The only thing I found flawed on the 2016 was first gear, it is basically useless.

That's because of the rear end gears. I assume it was a GT PP car with the 3.73 gears? I have those gears and first gear is useless.
Especially with a supercharger. lol :grin:

Dmagil01US 4/24/16 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Stage_3 (Post 6978567)
That's because of the rear end gears. I assume it was a GT PP car with the 3.73 gears? I have those gears and first gear is useless.
Especially with a supercharger. lol :grin:

yes, I didn't even think if that, thanks for the reply. I haven't took it over 3000 rpm yet, break in period and all that. I've heard 500miles to break in the clutch is that correct?

Stage_3 4/24/16 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Dmagil01US (Post 6978574)
yes, I didn't even think if that, thanks for the reply. I haven't took it over 3000 rpm yet, break in period and all that. I've heard 500miles to break in the clutch is that correct?

Not a problem.
Not sure on the mileage break-in, but I would take it easy for the first 500 miles anyways,.......and then, let her rip! \m/

Jazzman442 4/24/16 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue (Post 6978542)
Couldn't feel more opposite. Love the 10-14 S197's but the S550's are pretty hideous looking. That rear end is just god awful ugly. Not an ounce of muscle look. Its a euro looking sports car and an ugly one at that. To each their own! I'll be waiting for the next generation stang , 2025!

:agree::agree: If want a new car before then it will not be a Mustang...

mustang09girl 4/24/16 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14 (Post 6978451)
Not here to bash Gen6. On the contrary, I actually like the S550 after initially poo pooing it.

Yesterday I got a typical, unsolicited letter from a local Ford dealer (not mine) suggesting that they'd give $6250 off on an in-stock '15/'16 Ford and pay off my loan. So for sh!ts and giggles I configured a '16 GT ragtop, ran a KBB trade-in value, and crunched some numbers.

Assuming I'd be willing to take a hit on the mods I've done to my '14, the monthly payments would be less that what I'm presently on the hook for. I'd still lose some $$$ but I'd be willing to absorb it under the right circumstances.

Once I was satisfied with the numbers and financial compromises, I realized that there's no compelling reason to walk away from my 2014. I love the car and I'm still crazy about the S197 styling. The only thing I have issue with is the love/hate relationship with black, and that's just not justification for a change.

Of course, a GT350 is a different story. But my calculator shorted out when I plugged in the numbers.

I'm staying old school.

I own an S197 too, but a 2009 GT. I wasn't sure about the S550's either; until I test drove one. I fell in love! No comparison on how this one handles vs. my '09. This S550 is just a completely different driving experience! P.S. I kept my '09, so I have two horses in the barn!

mustang09girl 4/24/16 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Stage_3 (Post 6978475)
I've thought about it many a times as well Tom. I could just about break even with a trade-in and then I would have to mod the S550, so I'd be on the hook for thousands. Doesn't make financial sense for me right now. Plus, I want to see what the new GT500 has to offer.
I was like you, I originally HATED the S550 body style. Still not 100% in love with it, but I do really like it. I guess after having it a while, it would grow on me.
Good luck going forward sir!

I was in the same boat when the S550 first came out. It wasn't until I got up close and personal with one and actually test drove it, that convinced me. I kept my '09 though. Honestly, I have gotten tons of compliments on my '09 (did some mods), and still do, but I will say, it doesn't matter where I go, somebody always wants to get a closer look at my S550 and ask me questions about it. I get nothing but compliments on this car! With that said, we are all entitled to our favorite gen ; -)

Dmagil01US 4/24/16 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by mustang09girl (Post 6978617)
I own an S197 too, but a 2009 GT. I wasn't sure about the S550's either; until I test drove one. I fell in love! No comparison on how this one handles vs. my '09. This S550 is just a completely different driving experience! P.S. I kept my '09, so I have two horses in the barn!

The 4 wheel independent suspension is awesome, combined with the PP and it simply is a fun car to drive.

mustang09girl 4/24/16 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dmagil01US (Post 6978560)
I just drove both models yesterday, each 260 miles, the same route. I was happy with the way the 2011 handled and comfort but I must admit the 2016 was a completely different ride, the independent suspension and the tightness of the steering was a drastic improvement. The only thing I found flawed on the 2016 was first gear, it is basically useless. It must be designed for people who don't know how to drive a manual shift is all I can think of. The brembo brakes took about 20 miles to get used to, but they also saved me about 3 miles from home when some dipswitch in an SUV decided to pull out of their driveway and completely cut me off. So far happy I traded the 2011 for the 2016. The only other I'll say is Ford has completely revamped there extended warranty programs. I went with the shadow black which I know allot of you don't like but it's my car and I do like it so that's really all that matters, I was going to get the ruby red until for the last 9 months that's all I've seen on the highway, I also really like the race red but insurance companies don't, lol, can't stand the impact blue, and to get the price on offer it was either shadow black or ruby red. The dealer I went to has several models still in their lot of anyone is looking and all have an initial dealer incentive mark off of $5000 taking the price into the high 30's instead of mid 40's, PM if you want the dealers name.

I totally agree with your assessment. I waffled back and forth on the ruby red and black, before ultimately going with the black. I don't regret it. I LOVE driving this car!

DarrenGT 4/24/16 05:50 PM

Here in Vancouver I have seen many GT350's, which surprises me because i'm not sure how many the dealers were alotted here. Maybe it's just because the owners love driving the highways out by my place. Everytime i see and here the GT350, i drool. I would definitely love to own one. I've put 12-16k bux into my '13 though, and love every single ounce of that car. I have spent an hour behind the wheel of a '15 GT and while i loved the comfort and the ride, i could not be compelled to change. Only a GT350 could do that. In a couple years i can see adding one to my stable. Once the stable is finished being built that is.

Dmagil01US 4/24/16 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by DarrenGT (Post 6978623)
Here in Vancouver I have seen many GT350's, which surprises me because i'm not sure how many the dealers were alotted here. Maybe it's just because the owners love driving the highways out by my place. Everytime i see and here the GT350, i drool. I would definitely love to own one. I've put 12-16k bux into my '13 though, and love every single ounce of that car. I have spent an hour behind the wheel of a '15 GT and while i loved the comfort and the ride, i could not be compelled to change. Only a GT350 could do that. In a couple years i can see adding one to my stable. Once the stable is finished being built that is.

The GT350's are nice especially the new 5.2L engine at 526 bhp I believe. I was going tho say you might want to wait at least a year or 2 and see how The new engine holds up daily driving but I highly doubt anyone who has purchased one of these is driving it as a main vehicle.

Stage_3 4/24/16 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by mustang09girl (Post 6978617)

Lucky you!! 2 Mustangs are better than one!
Enjoy.