Repair & Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Gap in windows on 2016 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 7/3/17, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gap in windows on 2016 Convertible

There is a gap when the windows are closed between the front and rear windows on both sides. Has anyone else had this problem? I've tried button up routine to no avail. It seems like the rear windows aren't going up all the way as the space is at the top between the 2. This is a 2016 so I'm hoping there's an easy fix
Old 7/12/17, 12:36 PM

Willieo, I'm a new 2016 Convertible owner as well (GT Premium, CA Special) and have the same problem on the passenger side. Was going to call my dealership and setup an appointment to get it looked at. In the meantime, I simply push the rear window up a little to ensure it closes. Not ideal, but it's a workaround for now.
Old 9/14/17, 08:10 PM

Any word? I have 2017 and it started doing the exact same thing.
Old 9/15/17, 05:16 AM

Fixed

i brought my Mustang in for regular service and told them about the rear windows not going up. It was a simple adjustment and they work like a charm.

It seems to me that this is something that can happen again. I'll have to keep an eye on it.
Old 10/15/17, 01:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear passenger window has gap

I just purchased a 2016 convertible Mustang and the passenger rear window won't go all the way up with the convertible top up. When the top is down, that particular rear window goes up all the way properly. It's as if the convertible top is blocking it from going all the way up. It's just on the one side. So there is a gap. Looks like I have some time under warranty, fortunately. I'll share what I find out.
The following users liked this post:
Waynel (10/25/17)
Old 10/25/17, 01:22 PM

I also just got a 2016 mustang convertible and noticed that gap in the rear passenger window. I am very interested to hear any solutions whether it be dealer or owner fixes.
thanks.
Old 1/16/18, 06:09 AM

Aussie RHD MY2017 eco convertible - had same problem with gap when back quarter glass was up (i.e. out of alignment; gap widened to top by about 1/4 inch). Driver side (but passenger side equivalent for U.S. LHD vehicle) Ford dealer fixed many months ago; has worked perfectly for ages - but now it's back today! I always felt it was going to return - and I was right. Car's only done about 7,000 miles - so it's a concern now. They didn't explain what the problem was or how it was fixed last time - but this time I will request an explanation. Otherwise, this car is unbelievable - I love it - it makes my day when I get behind the wheel.
Old 1/29/18, 10:19 AM

Hey guys, I took my 2017 into Ford for this exact issue. Ended up paying around $180 for the fix. The tech said they see this issue a lot... looks to be bad engineering by Ford. Seems to be an aligment issue and that's what they adjust when they take off the panel below the quarter window. But oddly enough I was told twice by two different people that you should only roll up the quarter window FIRST before the main window, that's how it gets out of alignment. Apparently this is a known convertible thing? I had no idea. Tech also sprayed some silicone lubricant on the top piece of where the quarter window slides into place, so I guess it's also an issue of some friction when it slides fully into place.

Last edited by Bmar; 1/29/18 at 10:23 AM.
Old 2/2/18, 12:52 PM
RAZ

I have the same problem on the used 2017 I just picked up. Since the nearest dealership is a 2 hour drive away I applied a little silicone grease to the top part of the weather stripping attached to the window - the part that slides into the convertible tops weatherstripping. It works fine for now... Also if you are going to try this do not use a petroleum based grease as it may make the rubber swell and aggravate the problem.
Old 2/3/18, 02:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I have a 2014 and my driver's side door window had a slight gap at the top. The dealer adjusted it for me and no further problems. I assumed it was just less than ideal adjustment at the factory.
Old 2/12/18, 07:27 PM
Jal

from sunny australia

greetings !!! I've got a convertible with the same issue.....however I'd like to propose that the issue is not with the actual windows, but in fact the alignment of the roof.

I had the issue about a year ago....and by slipping some silicone lubricant to the rubber window channels in the roof, I managed to get it fixed. The windows would close completely. Then a couple of weeks back it came back. When I sit inside the cabin....and run my finger around where the roof meets the windscreen bar...i find that there is more gap between one side and than the other, which then means that the channels on the roof are not perfectly parallel thus restricting or making it difficult for the quarter window to shut fully...and which is why even a little of silicone fixed it. Have a look at the photos.

So now my question is whether anyone here has had their rooftop aligned? How tricky is it? are there some screws that we could use to align it ourselves ?
Attached Thumbnails Gap in windows on 2016 Convertible-passenger-side.jpg   Gap in windows on 2016 Convertible-driver-side.jpg  
Old 4/20/18, 01:42 PM

I purchased my 2016 Convertible on March 30th from a local Dodge dealership. The window had the gap that everyone is referencing. I took it back to said Dodge dealership that afternoon. They put some lubricant on it and said it was fine. It was not fine. I took it back to them and they had it overnight and said they adjusted it and it was fixed. This time, the front window rolled up on top of the back window, so they over corrected the problem. I took it back to them and they again, had it overnight and said it was fixed. I went to pick it up, tested the window and the gap was back. The manager finally told the service adviser to send my car to the Ford dealership. My car has been at the Ford dealership since Monday, 4/16. Dodge mechanics stripped the main screw trying to adjust it so many times, and now have to replace all the components inside that operate the rear window. The part is a 5-7 day lead time and has to come directly from Ford. The guy at Ford told me had they brought it to them to begin with, they would've had it fixed the right way the first time. He said it's an easy fix for those experienced in fixing Ford's. Word to the wise, take it directly to Ford to have it fixed. Fortunate for me, this isn't costing me a dime since I took delivery on the car and the window was an issue from the beginning. If I am able to get my hands on the work order with the cost on it, I will update you all with the information I receive.
Old 4/23/18, 04:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I for one would be interested in knowing what the cost would be. My 2017 is so far behaving itself. If this turns out to be an ongoing issue with the windows messing up, it could become very costly after a few years. If it’s just a one time fix then I hope my warranty will cover it.
Old 3/7/19, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jal
greetings !!! I've got a convertible with the same issue.....however I'd like to propose that the issue is not with the actual windows, but in fact the alignment of the roof.

I had the issue about a year ago....and by slipping some silicone lubricant to the rubber window channels in the roof, I managed to get it fixed. The windows would close completely. Then a couple of weeks back it came back. When I sit inside the cabin....and run my finger around where the roof meets the windscreen bar...i find that there is more gap between one side and than the other, which then means that the channels on the roof are not perfectly parallel thus restricting or making it difficult for the quarter window to shut fully...and which is why even a little of silicone fixed it. Have a look at the photos.

So now my question is whether anyone here has had their rooftop aligned? How tricky is it? are there some screws that we could use to align it ourselves ?
i have this exact issue. Did you ever get it taken care of?
Old 8/25/19, 01:59 PM

I had the space on the right rear window. Now, neither of the rear windows will close

Originally Posted by Willieo
There is a gap when the windows are closed between the front and rear windows on both sides. Has anyone else had this problem? I've tried button up routine to no avail. It seems like the rear windows aren't going up all the way as the space is at the top between the 2. This is a 2016 so I'm hoping there's an easy fix
Any suggestions?
Old 9/24/19, 11:25 AM

Gap Problem Solved

My 2017 Mustang GT convertible was in the shop twice for this rear window gap issue. Both times the shop took apart the window mechanism and lubricated parts. Didn't work... The problem started again shortly after my car left the shop... both times. I brought it back a 3rd time and told them they needed to dig deeper to solve this aggravating issue. They finally decided to replace the rear window regulators on both rear windows. I'm happy to report this did the trick and my windows roll up and seal much more strongly and tightly than they ever have before. I'm feeling confident that the issue has been resolved.
Old 10/9/19, 07:42 PM

I have a 2016 Mustang GT Convertible with the same issue. I took it to the dealer and I believe they replaced the rear window regulator as well. It worked great for about a year but the problem returned.
Old 6/30/21, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for this post. I too am looking at why this is happening. Lot's of temp fixes but doesn't seem to a final fix.
Mustangincolorado (7/14/21)
Old 6/15/23, 10:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Resolved

Hello fellow convertible owners. If you were like me, I found it highly annoy and frustrating whenever the rear windows don’t go up all the way. I scoured YT for a fix and not a band-aid to the problem. For us as owners, I don’t think we should have to use silicone lubricant, sunscreen, chapstick, or deodorant on the rear window just to think “I fixed it!” Or even pulling the rear window shut for that matter. I used to use silicone lubricant, but it got to the point that even the lubricant wasn’t helping anymore.
Here are two videos that I hope are helpful according to your needs.

Closing the window gap tip (my video)

If the tip above doesn’t help, then you may need an alignment.

Old 6/15/23, 11:35 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,862 Posts
Thanks & Welcome to TMS!

We Appreciate Topics Getting More Detailed!

If You are Gonna Stick Around Please Do a Post With Some Pics in the Introductions Section!

KC
S550_tips (6/15/23)

Quick Reply: Gap in windows on 2016 Convertible