2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Ex Hyundai and Benz Stylist Joins Ford. How will this affect the Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 9/23/10, 10:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
My guess is that he will oversee the overall stylistic themes and directions for all Ford NA products but will assign specific lead designers and teams to specific vehicles, including the Mustang.
I concur (speaking as an amateur observer and not an insider).

Originally Posted by rhumb
I think he really did give Hyundai a strong stylistic identity, even if you don't necessarily like it, where before it really had none, just bland vehicular appliances with a few odd, goofy attempts at real styling.
Agree...
Old 10/3/10, 06:59 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
ford needs to bring Hau Tai-Tang back in charge of Mustang. would love to know his thoughts on the 2010 rear end- very curious if he was for or against it...
if Ford decides to move too far 'forward' and carry only the mustang name onto a all new design without enought classic mustang cues, they could really blow it. wish theyd release some hints to gage ideas before running the wrong direction.

still worries me that J Mays might feel the 69 mustang was 'off track' styling wise. I hope they can come up with something I like MORE than a 69 fastback, but doubt it...the new camaro has too much modern, and look it how it turned out...the gto was a great car but looked like everything else out there, and failed quickly.

it needs to look like offspring of something in the 65-70 years, and it needs to be affordable...aside from that keep it fun to drive and good sounding, not too much to ask.
Old 10/3/10, 07:06 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ford4v429

it needs to look like offspring of something in the 65-70 years, and it needs to be affordable...aside from that keep it fun to drive and good sounding, not too much to ask.
Old 10/4/10, 07:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
ford needs to bring Hau Tai-Tang back in charge of Mustang.would love to know his thoughts on the 2010 rear end- very curious if he was for or against it...
The designers have the bigger say in styling, as opposed to the Chief Engineer. The designers and engineers have to work together to balance manufacturing feasibility and aerodynamic impacts. By the time the designs are locked in, it is the senior management that has more of a say, rather than the Chief Engineer, although I would assume their design preferences would be expressed. And as far as who would have input on the 2010 design, it most likely would have been either Paul Randle or Dave Pericak that would have seen the styling direction and made comments. For the 2005 style, I believe the design people who had the most influence then were Doug Gafka's staff.

if Ford decides to move too far 'forward' and carry only the mustang name onto a all new design without enought classic mustang cues, they could really blow it. wish theyd release some hints to gage ideas before running the wrong direction.
I suspect some Mustang enthusiasts somewhere will get to see the new direction somewhere down the road. I believe that this happened with the 2005 change, since it was such a dramatic upgrade from the previous generation.

still worries me that J Mays might feel the 69 mustang was 'off track' styling wise. I hope they can come up with something I like MORE than a 69 fastback, but doubt it...the new camaro has too much modern, and look it how it turned out...the gto was a great car but looked like everything else out there, and failed quickly.
The key is "What defines Mustang DNA?" I believe who ever is working on this new car is going to have an extremely challenging job to do. What's any important styling cue to me might not resonate with you. Ultimately, of course, we will vote with our purchases.

Here's to hoping!
Old 10/4/10, 09:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So to all the SN95 owners, or even the Fox body, are you saying that they bought a big F-you? At that point Ford thought that was the future of the Mustang and I haven't seen too many people complain. I think many are just going to have to accept that this is possibly going to be one of those times that a new design will have to be rallied into the Mustang stable and accepted for what it is.

I am not against any of your ideas, don't get me wrong but I just want to throw out some other perspective. The GTO did look like every other car and to be honest just wasn't that good looking and at first it got no love by the media which did NOT help. The 69 was when the Mustangs were starting a new growth pattern so I just don't know what they will be able to do other than styling cues possibly.

It's only a matter of time before the heritage or vintage looks of a lot of these cars starts to become mundane. I like the 2010+ so much that I would buy one years from now just to have the body style. I think it's the right portions of heritage and new age styling. If I want the looks of an old Mustang, then it's time to Retro-mod to my hearts delight.

I'm just saying. Just like when the Fox and SN95 debut, that's what was the thinking of that time. To me, I still think that the Mustang can move forward without loosing either its heritage or its place in the tomorrow land of Mustang. Though too much heritage and it's just the same old car. I guess Ford could bump out the design like GM used to do with trucks, keep the overall design the same for about a decade or more and make small tweaks here and there. See '88-'98 Chevy half ton.
Old 10/6/10, 04:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If he was paying attention during AMG School of Design, we'll be just fine