The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2015 - 2023 MUSTANG (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f806/)
-   -   Do you use the Paddle Shifters? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f806/do-you-use-paddle-shifters-545755/)

woody24 6/19/18 08:28 AM

Do you use the Paddle Shifters?

For those with an Automatic, how often do you use paddle shifting?

I played with it when I first got it, but never significantly used it, but decided I was going to the other day.

There's a road I constantly drive on where the average speed is 50-55mph, and that speed seems to be a shifting point. Constantly shifting between the two. Was driving me nuts.

In this nice weather, I've been driving in Track Mode, so the shifts are fairly obvious. So at the next light, I popped it down to "S" so that I could control the gear shifts. But only it still went right back to the way it was. I could shift, but it would override me, and go back to it's own shifting method.

I then switched driving modes to Sport, and then Sport+, and again, it still shifted for me without letting me maintain what I wanted to be in.

Concerned that something may have been wrong, I pulled over, shut off the car, and put it directly in "S" mode and shifting from the paddle shifters seemed normal again.

But after driving around like that for a while, I just didn't like it. There were a couple turns when starting out, I had to upshift, but I was currently turning the wheel.

So just curious if you guys use it very often. And what's the point of having a paddle shifter mode, if it doesn't let you shift on your own?

roger blose 6/19/18 12:47 PM

I have used my paddles a few times to run the engine up and down but really like having the computer handle the gears in Sports + most of the time. Drag race mode is only been used twice so far and it was a thrill ride all the way....full acceleration to the redline, two programed tire chirps, and hang on for dear life. No need to shift, just steer.

Shes50 6/22/18 02:58 AM

I keep mine in sport+ most of the time. I just got mine and I too notice it will shift for you when in S. But at any point you can use the paddles. I do that sometimes.

2018GT 6/28/18 11:56 AM

Very seldom. I drive in Sport + mode 99% of the time. The10 speed trans seems to be in the correct gear at all times.

wanted33 6/30/18 01:36 PM

Not yet, but just wait until I get past the break-in miles. :)

Bert 7/2/18 07:25 AM

Isn't there a full "manual" mode?

Most automatics have "Sport" modes that affect the way the transmission shifts automatically; this is not the same as manual mode.

Sometimes the full manual mode is activated on the shifter with a special position, but I'm not sure about these cars.

woody24 7/2/18 09:35 AM

I thought there was. It has a S gear past the D. But it seems that if you don't start out in that mode while driving, it's basically NULL (just another D) if you switch to it later. At least that's what's happening in my experience.

SpectreH 7/2/18 10:53 AM

I don't know about the S550's, but S in my '13 is like D, with revised shift points and no auto-shifts to 6th gear. Once you manually change gears via the thumb switch, it remains fully manual until you shift back out of S. The only time the computer will intervene is to keep from exceeding redline on a downshift, or shifting to 1 if you stop in 4th or higher. It will allow takeoff in 1st-3rd gears.

woody24 7/7/18 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by SpectreH (Post 7031998)
Once you manually change gears via the thumb switch, it remains fully manual until you shift back out of S.

Glad you said something.

I guess when I was driving in full-auto and then switch to the S after coming to a complete stop, when it started changing gears like normal after getting going again, I didn't bother manually changing them because I assumed that in that mode it would always default to full-manual, and didn't investigate any further.

But, this past week on this one stretch of road that I take frequently, I just couldn't stand the car automatically switching between the gears constantly. The highway is 45mph, but everyone goes 50-60, and I always see myself cruising around 54mph. That speed is the balance point between the two gears. So it's always switching between the two. Drives me nuts.

So I popped it into S, and when it up-shifted, I manually downshifted, and it stayed there. Thank goodness!

Now I actually enjoy using the paddle shifters. At least on this stretch of road. Just wish it was more responsive. Guess I'll need to do a tune.

But i have noticed that it will automatically shift down to 1st from 2nd at a slow crawl/or come to a stop.

wanted33 7/13/18 12:46 PM

OK Woody, I passed the break-in miles. And Lordy is that thing fun in sport mode using the paddle's. And to me, it's just as much fun when you place the car in sport mode, shift to sport, set the exhaust to sport and let 'er rip. Goodness it gives me a tingle in my special place. :al::hyper:

woody24 7/13/18 08:38 PM

It's still the full 10-speed with the paddle shifters too, right?

wanted33 7/14/18 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by woody24 (Post 7032589)
It's still the full 10-speed with the paddle shifters too, right?

Yes sir.

RedSkulker 7/14/18 12:40 PM

Mine is a MT, but I have another car (different brand, a Honda) that has paddles. I have used them occasionally and while they are useful to get all that I can get out of the engine, there's just not enough of engagement compared to a true manual for me. Part of the reason I have the mustang that I have is because the paddle shifting car did not make up for what I was used to. Funny thing with it though, when in sport, (s mode as well) if left to it's own devices it will shift by itself using only first through third, and the shift points are higher that the standard auto mode. Might be useful in an auto cross type of event where the rev range would need to by high, typically for a Honda, for it to make the best power. This only happens when I do not use the paddles after putting into the "S" position. Once I use the paddles, the dash illuminates with the number of the gear I am in and aside from dropping to first at a complete stop it will not change gears without my input.

Not having one, I'm not sure if the Ford setup is similar. But I find myself using the paddles in the other car rarely, just to see if the system still works. When driving the manual, shifting on my own is so automatic to me that I don't even think of it while driving, it just kinda happens.

woody24 7/15/18 08:23 AM

I was thinking that having the Paddle Shifter would be great for Autocross. I did Autocross for 2 summers in my '06 automatic. Got some great pointers when I first started. Guy said to start out in Second Gear and just leave it. So I did, except for the one time I tried full auto. That was a bad decision. The car just didn't know what gear it needed to be in for as short as the course was.

But starting in second, it wasn't the quickest of launches. But with the Paddle Shifters, I could get a better launch being in first, and then shift right into second and leave it.

flynn3z 9/17/20 09:45 PM

Paddle

Originally Posted by Shes50 (Post 7031446)
I keep mine in sport+ most of the time. I just got mine and I too notice it will shift for you when in S. But at any point you can use the paddles. I do that sometimes.

I have. A question is it safe to use it in sport or sport plus with out the paddle shifters.

flynn3z 9/17/20 09:48 PM

Is it safe to not use paddles in sport or sport plus.