2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Auto Express's Take...I dig it!

Search this Thread

Old 6/10/11, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JCC07
I don't mind if Ford wants to appeal to a wider audience, but I refuse to buy from any car company that openly caters all of its products to the Chinese market. What will happen then is that the Mustang will become a cushy, four-door sedan with smooth-as-glass ride quality at the expense of power. Think of a Mustang II, updated for the 21st century with all sorts of technological bells and whistles, but without any of the "fun-to-drive" quality that we Mustang owners prize so much.

Maybe I'll buy one of the last 2013 models left on the showroom floor...
Not sure why you would presume with any certainty that this would necessarily be so, i.e., why would the Chinese or anyone else for that matter, want the Mustang to be a cushy 4-door, soft riding, underpowered albeit high quality sedan? Why would power necessarily be at the expense of quality?

While I think broadening the Mustang's appeal would be a good idea to a certain point, I'm confident that Ford is very aware of just what the Mustang's appeal is, both domestically and abroad.

I would imagine something a bit more 1965 Mustang in broad size and character, of course with 21st century engineering, performance and features and will be significantly more fun and enjoyable to drive than today's Stang.

I think some are looking at the infusion of more modern engineering and features, now often seen on import brands, as some sort of zero-sum thing that would necessarily come at the expensive of power, fun-to-drive, or character. Rather, I see this as a huge plus-plus opportunity, expanding and strengthening the Mustang's qualities and capabilities rather than shifting or diluting them out. Of course, the actual execution could be clumsily done, but given Ford's recent efforts with the Stang, I see no looming indication of this.

Have no fear that the 2014-15 Mustang GT WILL be a sharp looking, powerful 5.0 V8 RWD coupe that will be an even more of a hoot to drive, but with even better quality, features, capabilities and competencies all at an affordable price point.
Old 6/10/11, 02:52 PM

i can definitely dig it! I'm in the market around 2016... perfect time for this baby. Looks a lot like an Aston, but i think that's to appeal to the global market, but it still has an AMERICAN Mustang look. I do think it needs a heftier grill tho...
Old 6/10/11, 02:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I trust Ford, based on the decisions they have been making in the last several years. I believe they have a great team working on the Mustang. And improvement is always welcome. Just so long as "improvement" keeps the loyal fans happy first, and draws new customers second. Corporations are not famous for doing that, especially when money is the motivation.

We'll have to wait and see...worse case, 2013 will be a heck of a year for Mustang sales as the faithful snag the last of the "true Mustangs".
Old 6/10/11, 04:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look at the potential upside. If Ford expects to sell 2-3 as many Mustangs because of selling it worldwide, it can afford to invest more in the basic development and engineering of the car. It makes it more affordable to give us things like . . . oh say, electronically adjustable shocks/struts or direct gasoline injection if you've got more units to spread the development cost over.
Old 6/10/11, 05:07 PM
Cobra Member

i'm kinda 'eh' about that design but i do like it better than the guigaro (sp?). as to the article, isn't all of that rehashed information we've already known/heard in the past???
Old 6/10/11, 05:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
A Mustang and a Camaro get married, have a kid, this is the result.

Sorry. All I see is Camaro bumper in back, Camaro 'hips', Camaro front end... with Mustang cues tacked on.

My verdict:
Totally agree here.
If it looks like this I will be restoring instead of buying.
Old 6/10/11, 05:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I wouldn't get too worked up about the white drawing. As it has been pointed out, it is just a redone Giougaro - photoshopped white and changed the back end. It is already an "old" design. They didn't even change the headlight.

I would say the look of the 2005 - 2009 Mustang = Muscle

The look of the 2010+ Mustang = Athletic

The look of the 2014 Mustang = ???

I am hoping it is a combo of athletic muscle, but more muscle. No diaper. The Giugaro is sleek Euro. Too Camaro, too Corvette. New Mustang needs more 1965 influence.
Old 6/10/11, 07:41 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyW
direct gasoline injection
You will find very little improvement in power over the current car (from DI alone) but DI is coming to Mustang very soon simply by dint of EPA mandate.

Frankly IMO, DI has become something of a buzzword in the car world like IRS, yes they offer a certain level of refinement, but not the magnitude of improvement adherents claim them to be.

You'd find more performance in an automated manual gearbox than you would find with the inclusion of direct injection.

Last edited by bob; 6/10/11 at 07:45 PM.
Old 6/10/11, 07:54 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by VALCAD
I am hoping it is a combo of athletic muscle, but more muscle. No diaper. The Giugaro is sleek Euro. Too Camaro, too Corvette. New Mustang needs more 1965 influence.
I'm as huge fan of the 05-09 cars, but I have to disagree, the S-197 is getting killed both do to its age and for being to retro. Ford needs to have something distinctly Mustang yet modern.

I've read various brand-x guys who love the performance of the 11+ cars but are turned off by the retro looks. Thats some sales just sitting on the fence. If Ford can accomplish what GM did with the Camaro (love it or hate it) and bring Mustang well into the 21st century from a styling standpoint it would probably be enough to tip those fence sitters in the Mustang's direction.

Put simply, the Mustang needs to make the Camaro look old and get those conquest sales. Challenger guys I dont know about? The Challenger isn't really a pony car anymore, it is now more or less a genuine muscle car due to its size which is a huge selling point with that crowd.
Old 6/10/11, 09:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
I'm as huge fan of the 05-09 cars, but I have to disagree, the S-197 is getting killed both do to its age and for being to retro. Ford needs to have something distinctly Mustang yet modern.

I've read various brand-x guys who love the performance of the 11+ cars but are turned off by the retro looks. Thats some sales just sitting on the fence. If Ford can accomplish what GM did with the Camaro (love it or hate it) and bring Mustang well into the 21st century from a styling standpoint it would probably be enough to tip those fence sitters in the Mustang's direction.

Put simply, the Mustang needs to make the Camaro look old and get those conquest sales. Challenger guys I dont know about? The Challenger isn't really a pony car anymore, it is now more or less a genuine muscle car due to its size which is a huge selling point with that crowd.
Glad I'm getting a '12 while I can...
Old 6/11/11, 09:30 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
You will find very little improvement in power over the current car (from DI alone) but DI is coming to Mustang very soon simply by dint of EPA mandate.

Frankly IMO, DI has become something of a buzzword in the car world like IRS, yes they offer a certain level of refinement, but not the magnitude of improvement adherents claim them to be.

You'd find more performance in an automated manual gearbox than you would find with the inclusion of direct injection.
I wasn't making predictions or recommendations for any specific technology, just pointing out that the economies of scale that come with increasing production ought to allow Ford to upgrade the technology at lower cost.
Old 6/11/11, 03:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
I would take the Mustang back to it's distinctive "Pony Car" roots before it devolved, at times, into a "Muscle Car." In other words, rather than simple-minded blunt-force, brute-strength in an overstyled, oversized, overweight barge (Muscle Car), make it light, lithe, strong, balanced and stylish in an affordable package. The Mustang originally was sort of an American adaptation of a European sports coupe, originally, with its small revvy 289 supplanting the typical four or six banger found in its Continental cousins.

I think that iteration, the Pony Car, was and will be its most iconic and successful persona and the one that ought to characterize the NextStang.
Agreed 100%. While the classic Mustang did eventually evolve into a muscle car of sorts, I always cringe a little inside when people call the Mustang a "muscle car". I've said this before but I'll say it again: The Mustang is the original Pony Car-essentially a sports car for the blue-collared man. It's genesis was not that of a muscle car, but rather an affordable, Euro-inspired sports car. If Ford returned to these roots, it would really highlight how hamfisted its domestic competition is.

No offense, but so many of these photoshops depict big, brutish, slabsided, tank-like boyracers with spaceship-like styling when I would much rather see smaller, more lithe cars with more classical design cues. As I've also said before, I think something akin to the Ford GR-1 with Mustang design cues would be a good place to start.
Old 6/11/11, 06:15 PM

Me likey this one better...I think by yasiddesign
Yeah I can get all the way down with this bad boy here.
Old 6/11/11, 06:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
I would say the look of the 2005 - 2009 Mustang = Muscle

The look of the 2010+ Mustang = Athletic

The look of the 2014 Mustang = ???
Perhaps 'retired beer gut' is next?
Old 6/11/11, 08:06 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
I wasn't making predictions or recommendations for any specific technology, just pointing out that the economies of scale that come with increasing production ought to allow Ford to upgrade the technology at lower cost.
Gotch'ya
Old 6/12/11, 01:32 PM
Bullitt Member

I am not so sure about the comment on the Mustang being too retro. I believe the retro look of the 2005 is what got a lot of guys to buy Mustangs again. I had zero interest in the 2004s, but I made a bee-line to a dealership the first I heard that the 2005s were on the ground.

I am sure I am not alone on this. How many people on this forum custom ordered a 2000 - 2004 Mustang? Not many. How many have custom ordered the S-197s?

Honestly, the excitement has been high for the Mustang in the last 8 years because of the retro look.

Heck, would there even be a modern Challenger or new Camaro if it hadn't been for the retro look of the Mustang? Not a chance. Do we need to bring the "modern" GTO into the discussion? That GTO is a beloved muscle car in other parts of the world. Even Top Gear raved about it. But how'd it do here? Even with Corvette seats and engine?

So the mistake would be to make the new Stang too modern and lose the nostalgia buyer.

Here's a thought...the 2012 Beetle is called a 2nd 1st generation redesign. The designers did not look at the New Beetle to redesign the 2012 - they brought in the 60s Beetle and re-interpretted it again, for the 2nd time. So it stayed true to the original, with a modern flavor.

IF Ford did something similar with the NexStang, they would have a smaller car, with all the modern things - IRS, engines, materials, transmissions, lighting, you name it. Hopefully without losing the nostalgia and retro love that made it so popular recently.

But let's not forget, even though the 1965 Mustang was popular in its day, it was still in need of an infusion of performance. So the 2014 would have to cure that problem from the getgo and not take a step back from the 2013s on performance.

And of course making it a global seller would offset a lot of the development costs. Which, like it has been pointed out, would make the cool features more affordable for every body.
Old 6/12/11, 02:44 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Talking Retired beer gut???

Originally Posted by houtex
Perhaps 'retired beer gut' is next?
No, it doesn't look all that good on me.
I'm sure they won't use that look on the Mustang.
Old 6/12/11, 07:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Oh, wait, I got it... since the gas crisis in the 70s brought about the Mustang II...

In 2014 the new Mustang IV will be out. It'll be a teeny big bigger than the Mustang IIs, but they'll get 56MPG City.

You guys watch. I called it.
Old 6/12/11, 09:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
For the record, the GTO's seats were light years beyond what was offered in a Vette and possibly the best seats offered in any GM car outside of Cadillac.
Old 6/13/11, 07:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

I agree with that diagnosis Drew. The GTO had incredible seats. Even the rear seat felt like a top notch couch.

Quick Reply: Auto Express's Take...I dig it!