The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2015 - 2023 MUSTANG (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f806/)
-   -   2018(?) refresh speculation (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f806/2018-refresh-speculation-540947/)

MRGTX 3/31/16 08:32 AM

2018(?) refresh speculation

I just watched a video from famous Youtuber/car reviewer SubaruWRXFan who has a lightly modified 2015 Ecoboost...he mostly loves the car but has talked about upgrading to a GT at some point, though he's looking to hold out for the impending refresh that he believes will come in 2018.

That timing sounds about right...What do you guys think the refresh will include?

Is there any chance of substantive mechanical upgrades?

Will there be any effort to improve performance to stay competitive with the Camaro?

buckethead1 3/31/16 05:40 PM

Dumping the Coyote and going all turbo?

=HYPERDRIVE= 3/31/16 06:54 PM

Realistic options: Direct injection added to the 5.0 with few other tweaks, new front and rear (slight change not full redo 2012-2013 type of thing) and the new 10 speed auto.

RandyW 3/31/16 08:44 PM

The one big thing I'm hoping for is some form of glass roof, whether it's a fixed glass roof like they offered for 2009-14, T-tops, or a Lincoln MKZ style panoramic glass sunroof. It would also be nice if the electronically adjustable shocks/struts available on the GT350 migrated down to the GT option list.

Twin Turbo 4/1/16 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by =HYPERDRIVE= (Post 6975156)
Realistic options: Direct injection added to the 5.0 with few other tweaks, new front and rear (slight change not full redo 2012-2013 type of thing) and the new 10 speed auto.

This would be my guess, too :)

V6 Driver 4/7/16 11:23 AM

Supposedly a new front fascia is coming. Having seen pics yet. Probably wont for a while as the MY17s are not out yet.

rmurer 4/11/16 11:23 AM

Will probably see the 2018 refresh at the 2017 autoshows. or late 2016. Hopefully we get a peak at a possibly gt500 which i might be holding out for.

CCTking 4/12/16 02:31 PM

I would guess a mild restyling of the front and rear ends, DI in the coyote, address the fit/finish issues some guys have been mentioning and maybe some new interior options like upholstery colors and maybe accent dash colors. It would be nice to see the magneride system migrate down as an option. Or heck maybe even add rear brembos to the track pack.

Glass roof (as someone mentioned) would be nice to have as well. A shot out of the blue though would be replacing the mt82 with maybe a tremec 6 or 7 speed

rmurer 4/12/16 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by CCTking (Post 6976924)
It would be nice to see the magneride system migrate down as an option. Or heck maybe even add rear brembos to the track pack.

Glass roof (as someone mentioned) would be nice to have as well. A shot out of the blue though would be replacing the mt82 with maybe a tremec 6 or 7 speed

I think ford really needs to do this to keep up with the Camaro.

88lx50 4/14/16 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by rmurer (Post 6976954)
I think ford really needs to do this to keep up with the Camaro.

They need more horsepower to do that.

SD CALSPCL 4/14/16 08:20 PM

I wouldn't hope for much, if this is true, as I read Ford has moved the complete redesign from 2023 to 2020. No reason was given for the move. So many rumors and so little info. Where are the spies when you need them :)

CCTking 4/19/16 09:40 AM

I think (and I hope) Ford will be cutting alot of weight for the redesign, maybe all aluminum panels like the f-150.

I also think for the refresh, if they don't add magneride to the track pack they could at least retune the suspension to be a bit firmer or at least more aggressive changes when changing driving modes. A revised transmission and some weight savings could really change the current model even if they do nothing else.

Coyote5-0 4/26/16 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by RandyW (Post 6975178)
The one big thing I'm hoping for is some form of glass roof, whether it's a fixed glass roof like they offered for 2009-14, T-tops, or a Lincoln MKZ style panoramic glass sunroof. It would also be nice if the electronically adjustable shocks/struts available on the GT350 migrated down to the GT option list.

Meet the new $55k Mustang GT!!

RandyW 4/26/16 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0 (Post 6978790)
Meet the new $55k Mustang GT!!

They had a fixed glass roof on the Mustang from 2009-2014. It was an expensive option but much less than the upcharge for a convertible. And must electronically adjustable shocks/struts really be that expensive? The Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe had them back in the early 1990's, so we're not talking about absolutely cutting edge technology.

SpectreH 4/26/16 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by RandyW (Post 6978810)
They had a fixed glass roof on the Mustang from 2009-2014. It was an expensive option but much less than the upcharge for a convertible. And must electronically adjustable shocks/struts really be that expensive? The Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe had them back in the early 1990's, so we're not talking about absolutely cutting edge technology.

My 1990 Probe GT had electronically adjustable shocks. Not nearly as sophisticated as today's offering, but it didn't put the price through the roof either.

dgc333 4/26/16 06:41 PM

There is a big difference in a shock that had two or three valving settings that could be switched electronically and the magnetic ride shocks they are putting in cars these days. These shocks have oil with magnetic particles in suspension that changes the viscosity almost infinitely by varying a magnetic field in the shock. The ECU can change the shocks response on the fly based on speed and cornering forces as well as having set ride settings. They are not cheap, as a stand alone option on a Corvette it's $3500.

buckethead1 4/26/16 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by SpectreH (Post 6978816)
My 1990 Probe GT had electronically adjustable shocks. Not nearly as sophisticated as today's offering, but it didn't put the price through the roof either.

Huh huh.....he said probe......

Captain Spadaro 5/2/16 04:30 PM

My guess would be DI on the Coyote (and a power bump) 10AT, suspension tuning revisions, maybe expeand the GT PP to the auto, and appearance changes. I had honestly thought that the refresh would occur for MY 2017, but cars.com has pricing up for the 2017s and it doesn't look like anything has changed aside from some new colors (which we already knew about thanks to the GT350 news).

Originally Posted by =HYPERDRIVE= (Post 6975156)

More or less what I was thinking (see above).

Originally Posted by CCTking (Post 6977909)
I think (and I hope) Ford will be cutting alot of weight for the redesign, maybe all aluminum panels like the f-150.

I also think for the refresh, if they don't add magneride to the track pack they could at least retune the suspension to be a bit firmer or at least more aggressive changes when changing driving modes. A revised transmission and some weight savings could really change the current model even if they do nothing else.

I doubt we're going to see an increase in the amount of aluminum in the S550 Mustang. It doesn't sell in enough volume to justify its use (and the requisite price increase). Maybe for the next gen (assuming Ford decides to do an about-face on the use of aluminum in its cars). That's part of the problem Ford has right now with the Mustang as their own RWD car.

EDIT: According to Mustang6g (which has the order guides up), the Mustang GT might be dumping the hood vent turn signals (which is fine, I have no idea why they were even brought back). Other than that, no real changes other than colors.

Coyote5-0 5/3/16 08:31 AM

Does anyone even know if the Mustang is currently outselling the Camaro, now that it's in its 2nd year of this generation?

Twin Turbo 5/4/16 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0 (Post 6979757)
Does anyone even know if the Mustang is currently outselling the Camaro, now that it's in its 2nd year of this generation?

:nice:

April 2016:
Mustang: 12,726 (-3.2%)
Camaro: 7,457 (+7.9)
Challenger: 6,412 (-5%)

April 2015:
Mustang: 13,144 (+82%)
Camaro: 6,909 (-24%)
Challenger: 6,771 (+32%)