The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Repair & Service Help (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f885/)
-   -   2018 GT rattle from transmission/clutch/engine confirmed by service tech (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f885/2018-gt-rattle-transmission-clutch-engine-confirmed-service-tech-545442/)

bigriver 4/12/18 04:43 PM

2018 GT engine rattle confirmed by service tech

3 Attachment(s)
Took my mustang to a different Ford dealer to look at the rattle I'm hearing between 2000-2500 rpm after shifting. If I keep the rpm at a constant 2200 rpm, the rattle stays constant. My original dealer said this was "normal". My vehicle is now at a different dealer who just confirmed that they were able to replicate the rattle and that it seems to be coming from the "right side upper block lower head area" and recommended further inspection by the engine service team. Waiting for an update but at least they confirmed what I am hearing and that it doesn't appear to be normal.

UPDATE: Heavy line tech found damage to cylinders 5-8 from excessive piston slap and recommended a new engine. Ford only approved a new short block. See pics below.

wanted33 4/13/18 09:17 AM

I hate to hear that my friend. Thankfully that's what the warranties for even though we never want to have a problem like that. I hope they get your baby fixed soon. Good luck.

bigriver 4/13/18 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by wanted33 (Post 7028097)
I hate to hear that my friend. Thankfully that's what the warranties for even though we never want to have a problem like that. I hope they get your baby fixed soon. Good luck.

Thanks! Glad they at least agreed it was an issue and not blow it off as normal. This dealer has a service tech dedicated to just Mustangs which I thought was a great idea. Need to bring it back in next Tuesday for the engine guys to look at and diagnose.

wanted33 4/13/18 12:38 PM

Keep us updated brother.

bigriver 4/17/18 06:31 PM

Mustang is still in the shop. The engine tech needs hotline assistance. Driving a Fiesta rental car now.

bigriver 4/21/18 12:55 AM

Mustang still in the shop. Tech thinks it is rod knock but can't find it and has been talking to Ford hotline.

wanted33 4/21/18 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by bigriver (Post 7028577)
Mustang still in the shop. Tech thinks it is rod knock but can't find it and has been talking to Ford hotline.

Oh no, don't like to hear that.

bigriver 4/23/18 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by wanted33 (Post 7028596)
Oh no, don't like to hear that.

Spoke to a few Mustang guru's and they think it is just spark knock and yelled at me for using 87 octane LOL. Still waiting for an update from the shop.

wanted33 4/24/18 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by bigriver (Post 7028678)
Spoke to a few Mustang guru's and they think it is just spark knock and yelled at me for using 87 octane LOL. Still waiting for an update from the shop.

It's supposed to run on the 87. For peak performance you can run the 91 - 93. So, don't let 'em pull the wool over your eyes. However, if that works let us know.

bigriver 4/24/18 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by wanted33 (Post 7028753)
It's supposed to run on the 87. For peak performance you can run the 91 - 93. So, don't let 'em pull the wool over your eyes. However, if that works let us know.

yes! That is what I said LOL.

Anyway. Got some bad news. They dropped a scope and found damage to the cylinder walls of 5-8 which looks like excessive piston slap. They will take pics when they open up the passenger side and also will drop the oil pan to see if there are any metal fragments. Saga continues.

wanted33 4/25/18 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by bigriver (Post 7028758)

yes! That is what I said LOL.

Anyway. Got some bad news. They dropped a scope and found damage to the cylinder walls of 5-8 which looks like excessive piston slap. They will take pics when they open up the passenger side and also will drop the oil pan to see if there are any metal fragments. Saga continues.

I hate to here that my friend. There was another here that had to be towed back to the dealer with less than 200 miles on the odo. The engine just quite. Good luck.

bigriver 4/25/18 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by wanted33 (Post 7028821)
I hate to here that my friend. There was another here that had to be towed back to the dealer with less than 200 miles on the odo. The engine just quite. Good luck.

Wow! That is crazy.

The tech submitted his report to Ford and is recommending full engine replacement. No metal in the oil pan. I'll try to find out more on what happened.

wanted33 4/26/18 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by bigriver (Post 7028845)
Wow! That is crazy.

The tech submitted his report to Ford and is recommending full engine replacement. No metal in the oil pan. I'll try to find out more on what happened.

A complete engine is the way I would want them to go myself. I hope they get you back on the road soon my friend. It's getting to close to summer to be without a Mustang. :)

Oh, I said the other car was on this forum, but I was wrong. It was a member on the Mustang 6G forum. I get crossed up sometimes.

bigriver 5/5/18 01:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
New short block arrived and will be installed next week.

Mustang Freak 5/5/18 08:38 AM

Glad their working with you to resolve this! Hopefully you'll be back on the road very soon! :yup:

wanted33 5/5/18 11:33 AM

Sounds good my friend. I hope that cures your problems, and you can finally enjoy your Mustang.

bigriver 5/5/18 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak (Post 7029401)
Glad their working with you to resolve this! Hopefully you'll be back on the road very soon! :yup:

yes! thanks!

bigriver 5/5/18 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by wanted33 (Post 7029407)
Sounds good my friend. I hope that cures your problems, and you can finally enjoy your Mustang.

Looking forward to it! I need to check the build date of the short block and make sure it was not in November 2017 LOL

rk88 6/20/18 06:29 AM

Any update on this matter? My car is making the exact same sound :banghead: Taking it to the dealership this weekend to get it checked out.

bigriver 6/20/18 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by rk88 (Post 7031360)
Any update on this matter? My car is making the exact same sound :banghead: Taking it to the dealership this weekend to get it checked out.

yes. Ford gave me a refund under CA Lemon Law.

They took two months to R&R the short block partly because head bolts were on backorder. Heavy line tech said the rattle was resolved.

It it is a nightmare dealing with Ford. I ended up buying a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie and Mopar lifetime warranty which is pretty sweet. I will look at the 2019 Mustang when they start to hit the dealers. I also have better pics of a couple of the cylinders which had scoring in weird spots.