The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2015 - 2023 MUSTANG (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f806/)
-   -   2015 Production Timing (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f806/2015-production-timing-524715/)

Five Oh Brian 8/31/13 08:23 AM

2015 Production Timing

I can't name my sources for this info, so you'll just have to trust me on this. Ford will start filling the order banks with 2015 Mustang orders in May 2014, scheduling will start in June 2014, and production starts in July 2014. That makes 2014 Mustang production very long running from February 2013 through July 2014.

There are still some unknowns, such as the date the 2015 order banks open and when 2015 Job 1 is, but it's safe to say that 2015's won't start showing up on dealer lots until August 2014 at the very earliest or maybe even September if there are production or quality control issues at the onset of 2015 production.

For those who are expecting some sort of 50th anniversary model by April 17th, 2014, the production timing above tells me that a 50th anniversary model will more than likely have to be on the outgoing S197 platform (2014) instead of the all-new S550 platform (2015). Rumors persist that there will be a 2014-1/2 50th anniversary edition built in very limited numbers to finish off S197 production to keep sales strong right to the end of the current body style. Again, just a rumor about the anniversary car.

R3troGT 8/31/13 08:33 AM

Wow, I really thought the 2015 would be on April 17th 2014 and on dealer lots shortly after.

I guess this may also mean Ford won't be releasing any information soon.

Ryan Parrottino 8/31/13 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian (Post 6681106)
I can't name my sources for this info, so you'll just have to trust me on this. Ford will start filling the order banks with 2015 Mustang orders in May 2014, scheduling will start in June 2014, and production starts in July 2014. That makes 2014 Mustang production very long running from February 2013 through July 2014. There are still some unknowns, such as the date the 2015 order banks open and when 2015 Job 1 is, but it's safe to say that 2015's won't start showing up on dealer lots until August 2014 at the very earliest or maybe even September if there are production or quality control issues at the onset of 2015 production. For those who are expecting some sort of 50th anniversary model by April 17th, 2014, the production timing above tells me that a 50th anniversary model will more than likely have to be on the outgoing S197 platform (2014) instead of the all-new S550 platform (2015). Rumors persist that there will be a 2014-1/2 50th anniversary edition built in very limited numbers to finish off S197 production to keep sales strong right to the end of the current body style. Again, just a rumor about the anniversary car.

Do you know when we shall see the introduction of the 2015?! At the Detroit or New York Auto show?!

Twin Turbo 8/31/13 03:51 PM

Thanks Brian............good info and I've read similar on another forum.

I'm hoping S550 will be shown at either Detroit or NY and turn up to the 50th celebration events.........even if it can't be ordered for a few months after that.

In the meantime, a run out S197 based 14.5MY may get a few extra sales.

Five Oh Brian 8/31/13 10:22 PM

While 2015 Mustang order system fill starts in May 2014, the leaves a distinct possibility that the order banks will open on April 17th, 2014.

I have no idea where and when Ford will publicly unveil the 2015, but I'd bet that we will have seen it plenty by the actual anniversary.

Turn3 9/1/13 06:09 AM

Thanks for the info Brian.

Clino 9/1/13 11:10 AM

This all sounds about right, and I can see the 2014.5 being based on the current model. It makes sense since it will be a nice send off for the s197, and it's not like the new model will need much help with sales right at debut. I just hope it's something more than a badge and stripe package as they have been in the past.

I still think the 2015 will be revealed on Apr 17th, or at least a big teaser, even if it doesn't go on sale for another few months.

Thanks for the info!

Free Agent 9/1/13 03:27 PM

Thanks for sharing but it is as I feared, a late introduction. (At least later than usual). Was really hoping they would be hitting the lots in June. Looks like it will probably be September of 2014 now at the earliest. Patience I guess.

Tony Alonso 9/1/13 08:10 PM

Thanks, Brian, for the info. This lines up with what someone posted on some other forum awhile back that they got from a Ford person. At first, I thought it had to be a ruse to throw people off, especially because the camo car photos showed up a few weeks later. However, your information matches theirs.

Eagle-1 9/2/13 12:31 AM

Thanks for the info however it doesn't make sense to me whatsoever. For starters the majority of the lines over at FRAP have been converted for the new model already, leaving perhaps a couple of lines open for the current one. Second would be in multiple times in past interviews Ford execs kept saying that the next gen model would be the "anniversary model". The one that would usher in the new era for the stang. Lastly would be the timing. The job 1 for the stang has been consistently towards the beginning of the year for the past four years. Car buying season for sports cars are at its best starting in the spring!

My prediction would be that Ford will introduce the next gen 14.5 model at the LA auto show with a job 1 around the Feb/March time frame, then produce x amount for the public. Then at the NY auto show show the '15 model that's largely carryover save for a couple of new colors and options with a job 1 of August. To me that would make absolute sense and also corresponds with info that Deysha gave a while back:metal:

Twin Turbo 9/2/13 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Eagle-1 (Post 6681948)
the majority of the lines over at FRAP have been converted for the new model already, leaving perhaps a couple of lines open for the current one.

FRAP recently had an extended summer shutdown, but that was in preparation of Fusion production...........this is the first I've heard they were also preparing for S550.

Also, we don't know the reason why it's later than expected. Ford have experienced a few issues recently with the introduction of new cars and are trying to ensure this doesn't happen going forwards. I'm sure Ford will build the car as soon as its ready (no one would want them to launch it with quality issues).

:)

Eagle-1 9/2/13 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo (Post 6681953)
FRAP recently had an extended summer shutdown, but that was in preparation of Fusion production...........this is the first I've heard they were also preparing for S550.

Also, we don't know the reason why it's later than expected. Ford have experienced a few issues recently with the introduction of new cars and are trying to ensure this doesn't happen going forwards. I'm sure Ford will build the car as soon as its ready (no one would want them to launch it with quality issues).

The extended summer shutdown was for the installation of the new 3-wet paint system that will be used for all vehicles at FRAP, though I'am sure they did other things as well. The tooling for the new mustang started late last year and continued on through the first half of the year, so at this point I'am sure that at least half the lines at the mustang side of FRAP have been converted by now. In fact the vehicles that you've seen running around lately are almost assuredly FRAP built vehicles.

Twin Turbo 9/2/13 03:43 AM

My apologies...........when the new paint process was announced last year, I'd assumed it was in place then.

Is it possible that the plant is flexible enough that most lines would support the Fusion, with the others split between S197 and S550? I recall the documentary on FRAP (last year) seemed to show both S197s and Mazda 3s on the same line.

Eagle-1 9/2/13 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo (Post 6681958)
My apologies...........when the new paint process was announced last year, I'd assumed it was in place then.

Is it possible that the plant is flexible enough that most lines would support the Fusion, with the others split between S197 and S550? I recall the documentary on FRAP (last year) seemed to show both S197s and Mazda 3s on the same line.

You probably meant mazda 6 but because the 3 was never built there;) My understanding of the plant is that the mustang sits in one side while the other(Fusion) sits on the other side, independently from one another so that they basically have their own lines. Now where they do converge/share is at the paint facility and finally final trim and out the door they go at random order:)

Twin Turbo 9/2/13 04:13 AM

Not having a good day, am I? Yes, sorry, meant the 6 not the 3 :nice:

And converging towards the end of the line makes sense as when both S197s and Mazda 6s were in shot, they were pretty much completed :) (I'm surprised the documentary didn't explain how FRAP was able to build 2 different cars in one plant. I know it was all about the Mustang, but it would have been interesting all the same)

Apologies for taking the thread off topic........I guess only time will tell as to what Ford's plans currently are.

Tony Alonso 9/2/13 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Eagle-1 (Post 6681960)
You probably meant mazda 6 but because the 3 was never built there;) My understanding of the plant is that the mustang sits in one side while the other(Fusion) sits on the other side, independently from one another so that they basically have their own lines. Now where they do converge/share is at the paint facility and finally final trim and out the door they go at random order:)

The body shops are different but there is a lot of robotic assembly which provides flexibility in those areas. I would think that line conversion is really about stamping new body panels, reprogramming the welding and handling systems, and then updating any final manual assembly procedures before painting.

I would also think this could be done in fairly short order (1-3 months), relatively speaking, ahead of the new car being built. I would think more of the conversion work would happen on the trim lines, because there is substantially more manual assembly there. And since they are still building the S197, I have a hard time picturing how they could support any major change in the assembly process at this time.

I am basing this on what I recall from having toured the plant at 3 different times in the last 9 years, most recently back in 2011.

xlover 9/2/13 11:05 AM

Thanks for the info however it doesn't make sense to me whatsoever. For starters the majority of the lines over at FRAP have been converted for the new model already, leaving perhaps a couple of lines open for the current one. Second would be in multiple times in past interviews Ford execs kept saying that the next gen model would be the "anniversary model". The one that would usher in the new era for the stang. Lastly would be the timing. The job 1 for the stang has been consistently towards the beginning of the year for the past four years. Car buying season for sports cars are at its best starting in the spring!

My prediction would be that Ford will introduce the next gen 14.5 model at the LA auto show with a job 1 around the Feb/March time frame, then produce x amount for the public. Then at the NY auto show show the '15 model that's largely carryover save for a couple of new colors and options with a job 1 of August. To me that would make absolute sense and also corresponds with info that Deysha gave a while back:metal:

This actually makes alot of sense. I cannot see ford just throwing away prime mustang selling season in the spring/summer. And missing out on having the new car being shown off in person all summer as well building word of mouth on top of whatever media advertising they do for it.

FordService 9/3/13 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian (Post 6681106)
I can't name my sources for this info, so you'll just have to trust me on this. Ford will start filling the order banks with 2015 Mustang orders in May 2014, scheduling will start in June 2014, and production starts in July 2014. That makes 2014 Mustang production very long running from February 2013 through July 2014...

So, I have to wait until next year? The suspense is going to be the death of me, Five Oh Brian!!

...To me that would make absolute sense and also corresponds with info that Deysha gave a while back:metal:

What'chu talkin’ ‘bout, Eagle-1?!

Deysha

Tony Alonso 9/3/13 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by FordService (Post 6682475)

What'chu talkin’ ‘bout, Eagle-1?!

Deysha

You spillin' the beans again, Deysha? :)

FordService 9/3/13 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso (Post 6682476)
You spillin' the beans again, Deysha? :)

Noooo!! Lol! That's why I was asking... :(

Deysha