2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

2015 Mustang - Media Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 9/29/14, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Not true. Shelby GT, Bullitt, GT500 were on the drawing board, engineered and tested, and for sale well before camaro and challenger.
While all very good cars (I'd love a neo Bullitt), they were fairly modest step ups from the existing model line or what the previous top Stang offered. Compare, say, what the Boss 302 upgrade was compared to what the Shelby GT or Bullitt was -- the Boss was far more comprehensive and bold. Or, with the GT500, how much of an upgrade over the standard GT as compared to what the earlier SVT Cobra offered over its contemporary GT model (and for less of a surcharge, something I whined about back in the day).

When the S197 did come out, there was a bit of competition with the GTO, so that kept Ford from being too complacent, and I think at least the Camaro was on the radar screens/rumor mill (Challenger too?) around that time, IIRC (correct me here if I'm wrong).

Whereas Ford was content to take it up a notch or two, pre-C-cars, now they're taking at up a dozen notches, both with the standard models (S550), recent S197 models (Boss, 650+hp GT 500s), and presumably the upcoming GT350 (flat plane 5.2 screamer?). Of course, Chevy and Dodge, likewise, are having to really ramp up their games -- do you think Dodge would ever have bothered with a 700hp Wildcat model were it not for the 600+ models from Ford and Chevy? Not a chance.

In any case, whatever one might think of Fords and Mustangs circa 2005'ish, Ford's definitely got game now and the new Stang is clear evidence of that. Basically the old saw about competition improving the breed -- and it certainly is in all three stables -- and we enthusiasts, the big winners, now have a smorgasbord of awesome, excellent American performance coupes.

Last edited by rhumb; 10/5/14 at 03:15 PM.
Old 9/29/14, 05:39 PM
TMS Editor

The Mustang Source's First Take Behind the Wheel of the 2015 Mustang

There are going to be some Mustang fans who aren't going to like the new model regardless of what people say about it and to some degree I get it.

The outgoing car has developed quite a fan base over the years with good reason. It’s largely credited with helping to save the nameplate and a lot of current owners have been very vocal about their dislike for the new design.

Personally, I think Ford nailed it.

Read the rest on the Mustang Source homepage. >>
Old 9/29/14, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by MarcusAmick

There are going to be some Mustang fans who aren't going to like the new model regardless of what people say about it and to some degree I get it.

The outgoing car has developed quite a fan base over the years with good reason. It’s largely credited with helping to save the nameplate and a lot of current owners have been very vocal about their dislike for the new design.

Personally, I think Ford nailed it.

Read the rest on the Mustang Source homepage. >>
True on pretty much all counts. Every new Mustang has been tasked with at least carrying on the name, even saving it, even the Mustang II, which is about the only good thing I can say for that car. Every no Stang has had its vocal detractors, this one included. However, I would agree that the S550 is the finest of the breed yet with a broad and deep suit of attributes.

Not perfect mind you - it did end up porkier when it should have been trimmer for example - but overall the best yet and well situated to carry the name forward.
Old 10/2/14, 09:19 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm with you guys. I was hoping for more verbose reviews about how well sorted the new car is and how much better it is. But I probably hoped for too much. It sounds like exactly what ford was going for. I will test drive one and put it on my list.

The wife and I were discussing a 2014 due to incentives but I think this will be much more of a balance between what we both want. Now to just play the waiting game and see if it comes down to a new mustang, challenger or raptor. I know it's a little obscure but I'm a truck guy at heart.
Old 11/21/14, 05:08 PM
Axe

Originally Posted by Mrsuitcase
What's this talk of Camaro?!

That thing could have 2000 horsepower and pull 3G turns, and be 1/4 of the price of any other car on the market... But I wouldn't get one because every morning when I would go to unlock it, I'd pause and think "My car is ugly... **** ugly".

And yet its outsold Mustang ever since it came out, so I guess youre in the minority. For the record I have a 2013 Mustang, and I had a 2005 and a 2008. (I get bored easily so I don't keep stuff long) I had a 2010 and 2012 Camaro, and I got 10x the amount of "nice car" compliments in just one year with the 2010 then I have with all 3 Mustangs combined. I think all 3 (Challenger, Camaro, Mustang) are beautiful machines.
Old 11/22/14, 08:10 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Axe
And yet its outsold Mustang ever since it came out, so I guess youre in the minority. For the record I have a 2013 Mustang, and I had a 2005 and a 2008. (I get bored easily so I don't keep stuff long) I had a 2010 and 2012 Camaro, and I got 10x the amount of "nice car" compliments in just one year with the 2010 then I have with all 3 Mustangs combined. I think all 3 (Challenger, Camaro, Mustang) are beautiful machines.

The Mustang even with updates was pretty long in the tooth when the F5 arrived and the F5 played its show car proportions to good effect (despite the ergonomic realities of such a design). Its tough to gauge how the new Mustang will do since the haters generally drown out the people who like the new car.

Also I wonder how the F6 Camaro will do since GM is apparently aping the current styling of the car instead of taking it in a new direction?
Old 11/22/14, 08:24 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Automagically
I'm with you guys. I was hoping for more verbose reviews about how well sorted the new car is and how much better it is. But I probably hoped for too much. It sounds like exactly what ford was going for. I will test drive one and put it on my list.
If you don't place a premium on acceleration then the attributes of the new car shine through. The GT/PP blows the out going S-197 out of the water when it comes to ride, steering and brakes with better handling as well.

I can't fairly judge the acceleration since my GT500 is my daily and well... but it seemed good in any event even with two big guys and one skinny salesman in the car.

A friend of mine was a good buddy with the salesman at the stealership where I test drove the 2015 car and I was able to run it pretty good hitting about 130 at one point and the car was great all the way there.

Its interesting to note that the comments about performance echo what the 4th gen Camaro guys were saying about the 5th gen Camaro.

I suspect the biggest issue is refinement. As cars become more refined they tend to distance themselves from those aspects that make the car fun to drive at lower speeds requiring people to run harder and step out of their comfort zone since a speedometer has a lot of psychological value when one is running down their favorite twisty road despite the actual capability of the car.
Old 11/29/14, 09:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Axe
There's nothing subtle about the Camaro's looks, it's like a teenager drew his ultimate badass car. Aesthetically it's about as restrained as a 15 year-old's drawing of a heavy metal album cover on his math notebook. I guess to some that's cool.

Last edited by IndustryLeech; 11/29/14 at 09:38 AM.
Old 1/22/15, 02:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
If you don't place a premium on acceleration then the attributes of the new car shine through. The GT/PP blows the out going S-197 out of the water when it comes to ride, steering and brakes with better handling as well. I can't fairly judge the acceleration since my GT500 is my daily and well... but it seemed good in any event even with two big guys and one skinny salesman in the car. A friend of mine was a good buddy with the salesman at the stealership where I test drove the 2015 car and I was able to run it pretty good hitting about 130 at one point and the car was great all the way there. Its interesting to note that the comments about performance echo what the 4th gen Camaro guys were saying about the 5th gen Camaro. I suspect the biggest issue is refinement. As cars become more refined they tend to distance themselves from those aspects that make the car fun to drive at lower speeds requiring people to run harder and step out of their comfort zone since a speedometer has a lot of psychological value when one is running down their favorite twisty road despite the actual capability of the car.
Agreed. Sounds like the way people review an e39 M5. I'm interested in driving one some day but still not sure I'll be able to buy. That GT350 is just killer though.