Get in, sit down, shut up, and hold on

Car and Driver:
GT: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

Motor Trend:
Eco4: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...23_first_test/
GT: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._gt_first_test

Road & Track:
GT: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...st-impressions

Last edited by Boomer; 9/17/14 at 10:43 AM.
Old 9/17/14, 10:12 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Road & Track . .

First Impressions: 2015 Ford Mustang GT
There will be no “for a Mustang” disclaimers this time.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...st-impressions
Old 9/17/14, 10:19 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Motor Trend . . .

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...gt_first_test/
Old 9/17/14, 10:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems to be nearly universal high praise. I thought it would review well, but not THAT well!

I even did a double take from this comment from one of the R&T editors:

"I drove the GT in a group that also included the Porsche 911 GT3, the Lexus RC F, and the Italian-superhero Ferrari 458 Speciale. It confidently, casually held its own in that heady company."
Old 9/17/14, 11:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Much of the reviews I read are lukewarm. I was hoping for more out and out praise. It seems the car is a better handler but not to the degree everyone was expecting. Weight is an issue. The GT got slower. The Ecoboost is the lightest one. But, it still weighs almost 130 lbs more than the previous V6.

Last edited by unnoticedtrails; 9/18/14 at 12:31 AM.
Old 9/17/14, 11:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by unnoticedtrails
Much of the reviews I read are lukewarm. I was hoping for more out and out praise. It seems the car is a better handler but not to the degree everyone was expecting. Weight is an issue. The GT got slower. The Ecoboost is the lightest one. But, it still weight almost 130 lbs more than the previous V6.
The Motortrend review does seem lukewarm compared to others I've read. They seem to be comparing the new V8 to the old Boss 302, though. And their ecoboost reception stems from dyno run testing.

It will be interesting to see more reviews.
Old 9/17/14, 11:19 AM
Bullitt Member

From Consumer Reports on the Ecoboost

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...ideo/index.htm
Old 9/17/14, 11:20 AM
DRB
Bullitt Member

http://kinja.roadandtrack.com/the-20...856157/+travis

Last edited by DRB; 9/17/14 at 12:24 PM.
Old 9/17/14, 11:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
In a word: Tepid.

Some of the comments from the authors at R&T were glowing otherwise, not much happiness this afternoon. C&D's review was luke warm, MT was even harsh at points.

Youch.
Old 9/17/14, 12:36 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Road & Track . .

First Impressions: 2015 Ford Mustang GT
There will be no “for a Mustang” disclaimers this time.
What a waste of 0's and 1's R&T. Pure gibberish
Old 9/17/14, 12:46 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
At its $45,885 as-tested price
Old 9/17/14, 02:31 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Lame-O

Not the car, the publications. Not a single mention of the grille design!!!!!

Don't these snot-nosed, uppity, over-edumacated so-called automotive experts follow us here on TMS? Don't ya think that with all the bandwidth devoted to the F word grille that they would have noticed? Do they not know that we are the definitive word in Mustang land?

It's a travesty I tell ya. A travesty.
Old 9/17/14, 03:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Interesting stats from Road & Track

Old 9/17/14, 03:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
For a fully loaded premium. Not exactly surprising.
Old 9/17/14, 07:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mrsuitcase
Seems to be nearly universal high praise. I thought it would review well, but not THAT well!

I even did a double take from this comment from one of the R&T editors:

"I drove the GT in a group that also included the Porsche 911 GT3, the Lexus RC F, and the Italian-superhero Ferrari 458 Speciale. It confidently, casually held its own in that heady company."
Universally? Here's a few quotes from some of the articles.

Motor Trend GT test. (I especially like this one)
Though it managed a higher average g on the figure eight than the Boss 302 -- which we'd still feel confident calling the best Mustang ever -- the 2015 Mustang didn't feel as nimble or competent as the Boss; it didn't feel like the front and rear ends were talking to each other. Turning in off-throttle resulted in moderate push (understeer from the front end), which needed to be corrected with the throttle. This, in turn, caused a bit of slushy oversteer that, while manageable, slowed the GT down a bit. While that's not bad per se, we were expecting a bit more from the new IRS-equipped Mustang....

The new 2015 Ford Mustang GT may not fully live up to the high expectations many had, given its similarities to the old Boss 302....

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz3DcrlvKx4
From the other Motor Trend Ecoboost article
Considering the lack of weight on the nose, we expected a bit more nimbleness than this Mustang offered. It stops authoritatively and allows aggressive corner entry. Exits are fun, too; the car digs out of corners with a nice amount of stability. But mid-corner behavior is disappointing -- the car's attitude feels somewhat soft and soggy...

During testing of this turbo-four we noticed a strong mid-range but a soggy top end...

Stretch the tach upward, though, and once peak horsepower arrives at 5300, it's all downhill after. The last thousand rpm feel soft, and as a result, wringing it out during limit-handling tests or straight-line acceleration can feel a little unsatisfying. Short-shifting is an entirely viable option.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz3DctUaUXE
Road and Track
The first thing you’ll think when you sit in the new car is the same thing you thought when you saw the outside: whoopdie-doo, it’s a Mustang. Inside, it looks like a Mustang, feels like a Mustang, sounds like a Mustang, and smells like a Mustang. I was immediately disappointed.

Slushy, soft GT suspension. Soggy, disappointing Ecoboost suspension, soggy and unsatisfying Ecoboost high rpm performance. Immediately disappointed with interior. Comment on the exterior styling - Whoopdie-doo. These are not entirely satisfactory reviews. In fact, the only thing that is universally praised is the 5.0L engine and it's ability to drift through corners at will. If you didn't order the 5.0L, you are missing out on the best part of the 2015 Mustang.

Last edited by Boss 0960; 9/17/14 at 07:56 PM.
Old 9/17/14, 08:12 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Overall the reviews seem ok. Good enough for me to wanna test drive one when they hit the lot. I'm not an early adopter though. won't be buying generation 1, but i'll be keeping my eyes on them as they refine.
Old 9/17/14, 09:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

I am disappointed with the tests to be frank. Especially the Ecoboost 2.3L, I mean 310hp, 70 more rated hp than a BMW 328i and yet the Bimmer is just as quick. Did I mention the BMW is only 180lbs lighter. I don't know but I feel somewhat let down.

Dave
Old 9/17/14, 09:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I'll wait for the 2017.
Old 9/17/14, 09:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Boss 0960
Road and Track

Slushy, soft GT suspension. Soggy, disappointing Ecoboost suspension, soggy and unsatisfying Ecoboost high rpm performance. Immediately disappointed with interior. Comment on the exterior styling - Whoopdie-doo. These are not entirely satisfactory reviews. In fact, the only thing that is universally praised is the 5.0L engine and it's ability to drift through corners at will. If you didn't order the 5.0L, you are missing out on the best part of the 2015 Mustang.
Here is the whole part of that article that ties into the piece above.

Much to the aggravation of Web Director Alex Nunez, I’m just not a Mustang kind of guy. Yeah, I wanted a Fox-body 5.0 back in high school when they lived in new-car showrooms and I had never driven one. I’d find out later on that the intoxicating sound and butch looks weren’t enough to make up for how poorly it actually drove. The first time I drove something German and nimble, my pony-car fantasies subsided.

The last-gen Mustang was a boatload of fun—especially in Boss 302 form—and a few friends bought them with my honest blessings. That said, I can’t deny that much of my praise was given with a “…for a Mustang” disclaimer.

The first thing you’ll think when you sit in the new car is the same thing you thought when you saw the outside: whoopdie-doo, it’s a Mustang. Inside, it looks like a Mustang, feels like a Mustang, sounds like a Mustang, and smells like a Mustang. I was immediately disappointed. You know, because that sorta thing just isn’t my sorta thing.

It all changed the instant the wheels began to turn. It’s no exaggeration to say that the new car has kept everything I loved about the last car (that awesome 5.0-liter V-8) and vanquished everything I didn’t.

The Mustang is no longer aloof. It’s no longer distant, recalcitrant, or wooden. You start moving, and it feels like a compact car. The V-8 revs like a four-cylinder. Rather than denying them completely, the shifter encourages quick shifts. The clutch’s takeup is right where, when, and how you expect it to be. The steering is quick enough to be lively, relaxed enough not to be neurotic.

There’s power everywhere. And then there’s that new independent rear suspension. At long last, an independent rear. What that means, mostly, is that there’s finally a Mustang that rides well without being simultaneously harsh and floaty. And it puts power down like a champ—no longer just in a straight line, but on corner exit, too.

Power slides are (duh) a stab of the right foot away – and they’re incredibly easy to manage. The Mustang has become an American, V-8-powered, rear-wheel-drive VW GTI in that its limits are obscenely accessible. It encourages you to touch them. Repeatedly.

On a road loop with blind corners and variable pavement, I practically lit the GT’s brakes on fire. Not because the enormous Brembos were undersize or received too little cooling air. I was driving like a maniac, flat-out where I could see straight ahead, sideways where I couldn’t. I was once again a teenager with a smile on my face and a license that could (and probably should) be revoked at any instant.

The 5.0 is torque everywhere and now makes 435 hp. That’s more than double what the old pushrod 302 made when I wanted one. The only thing this engine doesn’t make enough of is noise. It’s too quiet. For a Mustang.

And that’s the only time you’ll hear the words “…for a Mustang” from me.

Jason Cammisa Senior Editor
Old 9/17/14, 11:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

I will have to wait for a SE Mustang before I even consider getting out of my 2013 E92 M3. The GT350 seems to be the ticket, I was hoping as some of the other people had said earlier, for more of a glowing review. I really want to see if the PP Mustang GT is going to be quicker around Laguna Seca than the Boss LS. That should be one of the first test that is done...

Dave

Quick Reply: 2015 Mustang - Media Reviews