The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2015 - 2023 MUSTANG (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f806/)
-   -   2014 Mustang to get IRS? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f806/2014-mustang-get-irs-479967/)

black_bullitt 1/19/10 05:43 PM

2014 Mustang to get IRS?

http://jalopnik.com/5452036/report-2...s-global-sales

REPORT: 2014 Mustang To Get IRS, Global Sales

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/image...rd_mustang.jpg

In an effort to save money, Ford says all future platforms must be global. But what of the Mustang and its all-American RWD coupeiness? Motor Trend's being optimistic about its fate and says the next version could even go global.
All this global talk is causing quite the fracas in Ford circles, creating all sorts of rumors like Ford killing the Falcon Ute as the Falcon transitions to a Taurus platform, it means no more ****ty Focus for the US and it even means we're getting a Fiesta sedan. But while US buyers still think the ‘Stang is the best thing since light beer, the rest of the world would mock its poor packaging, live rear axle and huge engines. As the Mustang's 50th birthday approaches, that leaves it in quite the pickle.
According to Motor Trend, the plan apparently was to create a new global RWD platform that would underpin a replacement for the Lincoln Towncar, a new Ford Falcon and, in a radically shortened version, the new Mustang. But, because Ford has re-thought the need for a Town Car replacement; because sales of the Falcon have slumped and are expected to continue slumping as gas prices increase; and because Ford has spent itself silly avoiding bankruptcy and preparing Euro models for US sale that platform has now been cancelled.
Motor Trend's sources suggest three possible options for the 2014 Mustang:

The cheap option:
base it on the current car, continue the retro styling theme and maybe add some more euro-centric engines (like the Ecoboost 4 and 6-cylinders).
The euro snob option: A new, smaller, more sophisticated platform more in the vein of the M3 and equipped with a tweaked version of the 3.5-liter Ecoboost turbocharged V6.
The Motor Trend is on crack option: an AWD Evo rival.
So which is it going to be? Sadly, we expect the cheap option is going to win. Ford sources are adamant the car will finally get independent rear suspension, but we wouldn't expect much in the way of new engines unless Ford is serious about conquering the land of high-performance hot hatches.

Red Jay 1/19/10 06:12 PM

how about a watts link instead?

burningman 1/19/10 06:19 PM

IRS....nothing like showing up to the party after everyones gone home.

MARZ 1/19/10 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by burningman (Post 5802449)
IRS....nothing like showing up to the party after everyones gone home.

Better than never, no? Look at how great the Mustang already is, even with its often-criticized SRA (whether or not the criticism is valid is irrelevant, IMO). Imagine how much better it can and will be with the inclusion of IRS!

MARZ 1/19/10 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Red Jay (Post 5802440)
how about a watts link instead?

Yeah, I agree. How about a Watts Link to bridge the gap between now and when the IRS will become available.

YSUsteven 1/19/10 06:33 PM

I think it will move between options 1 & 2. It probably will get a little smaller, and probably have ecoboost engines by then if not sooner. It will probably also become more modern, only it will not be equal to a current M3, maybe two or three generations ago.

MARZ 1/19/10 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by YSUsteven (Post 5802466)
I think it will move between options 1 & 2. It probably will get a little smaller, and probably have ecoboost engines by then if not sooner. It will probably also become more modern, only it will not be equal to a current M3, maybe two or three generations ago.

Equal to an M3 in terms of what? From what I understand, the 2011 GT is already there in terms of power, and almost there in terms of handling.

burningman 1/19/10 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by MARZ (Post 5802458)
Better than never, no? Look at how great the Mustang already is, even with its often-criticized SRA (whether or not the criticism is valid is irrelevant, IMO). Imagine how much better it can and will be with the inclusion of IRS!

can't argue that

YSUsteven 1/19/10 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by MARZ (Post 5802469)
Equal to an M3 in terms of what? From what I understand, the 2011 GT is already there in terms of power, and almost there in terms of handling.

It may be there in terms of power and handling, but it just doesn't have that luxury car feel, and as its a muscle car, it shouldn't. But I am guessing that it will begin to head in that direction. Thats one of the reasons that I want to get mine soon, before it gets too soft.

bob 1/19/10 07:35 PM

Man, no technacolor yawn emote :shame:

I guess it was inevitable, if they are gonna go with an IRS, I want a **** dual pivot SLA front suspenension as well. No point in doing it half arsed.

Anyways, I also hope its as well sorted out as the Camaro's IRS and Ford since I know your listening, 3600 lbs is the line for the GT, IRS or not.

patsdynasty101 1/19/10 10:26 PM

IRS in a mustang , worked for the terminator, with new technology and a lighter front end than the 03 cobra, the GT and GT500 should receive it.

Twin Turbo 1/20/10 02:23 AM

Interesting.

Going global would mean RHD and even GM has been on/off/on/off/on/off on this subject with Zeta.

If you read some of the English (non-Mustang) forums, there are many who side on the "Clarkson says all American cars are crap so it must be true and the Mustang won't go around corners with its SRA" Even with IRS, I bet most of these car "enthusiasts" still wouldn't buy a Mustang, so the market will be very limited.

However, those Brits that actually own and love a Mustang do so despite it's so called failings. We love it because its NOT a european-like car. Despite fuel costing the equivilent of about $9/gallon over here, most wouldn't buy a Mustang without a V8....the engine is the whole point of the car....as it's it American-as-apple-pie styling.

If we want a euro friendly car, there are already tens to choose from already.

So Ford, if you want to keep the current British Mustang faithful happy, follow these rules:

1 - Don't both with RHD (LHD adds to the fun factor)
2 - Don't bother with anything less than the 3.7 V6
3 - Ensure the new 5.0 Coyote is still available (feel free to improve fuel econonmy, but not at the expense of performance.
4 - Keep it the same size (it's big enough already, but a smaller footprint will probably me losing interior space....and I want room for my family)
5 - IRS. Happy to have that, as it'll improve the ride on our rubbish roads. But I'd still happily have it with an SRA.
6 - Keep the styling retro. Whilst I love the 2010 restyle, I'm in the minority in the UK. Just make a modern version of the '69, and we'll all be happy.

So, I'd be happy with the "cheap option".

Don't mess with a winning formular.

:)

Overboost 1/20/10 08:26 AM

I saw nothing in that article that mentions specifically getting an IRS. I do see it coming, especially if they move to a global platform, but that article was junk.

black_bullitt 1/20/10 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Overboost (Post 5802786)
I saw nothing in that article that mentions specifically getting an IRS. I do see it coming, especially if they move to a global platform, but that article was junk.

Hence the question mark at the end of the thread title.

Overboost 1/20/10 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by black_bullitt (Post 5802792)
Hence the question mark at the end of the thread title.

I read that article last night and found it to be worthless. With that in the title, I thought there would have been some sort of confirmation one way or another, not just their thoughts, which still don't even mention it within.

Twin Turbo 1/20/10 09:11 AM

Don't forget, rumours of 5.0 coyote engines were sketchy at best, a few years back ;)

Sure, this is purely speculation at this point, but it does makes sense.

fdjizm 1/20/10 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by bob (Post 5802525)
Anyways, I also hope its as well sorted out as the Camaro's IRS.

as well sorted out as the camaro's IRS? have you heard the complaints about the SS's sub par handling? or the fact that u can throw a track pack on an SRA mustang and it outhandles the camaro.

even camaro fans say it doesn't handle how they expected.

thomasstang09 1/20/10 12:07 PM

Well, looks like my next mustang will be a 2013! SRA FTW!

Twin Turbo 1/20/10 12:07 PM

I think Bob may have forgotten the ;)

jadedpony 1/20/10 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Overboost (Post 5802795)
I read that article last night and found it to be worthless. With that in the title, I thought there would have been some sort of confirmation one way or another, not just their thoughts, which still don't even mention it within.

Read the MotorTrend article. I read it last night but didn't get a chance to post a thread...

For all that, our source insists the 2014 Mustang will be rear drive. And yes, he adds, it will (finally) have an independent rear suspension. Put those two facts in the context of the global rear drive platform's demise and Mullaly's comments, and there's only one logical conclusion: The next-gen Mustang will be a global car built on its own rear-drive platform.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/future/fut...#ixzz0dC8NdDaS
But it's all still just speculation from a source withing Ford. We will have to just wait and see since we are all so patient :jester: