Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Whining noise - Coming from Shifter area (Video inside)

Search this Thread

Old 1/27/11, 10:11 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whining noise - Coming from Shifter area (Video inside)

I took this video, you can hear a whining noise coming from the shifter area (it's stock).

It just started doing this, I have about 2800 miles on the car. I took it into the dealership and they said it was normal for mustangs to make this noise. I drove a new one with the service manager and he said he couldn't hear a difference. The new one was whisper quiet too. Does anyone else have this noise? What did you end up doing to fix it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiqWkZccwtg
Old 1/27/11, 11:33 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question: Does it make this noise in nutral and you rev the motor when not moving? Or just while in gear?

The dealership you took it to is trash. They just saying that because they don't know how to fix it and don't want to deal with it.

Take it to a deferent dealership although they all seem to be the same. Can't diagnose a problem if it hit um in the face.

I don't think that noise is normal. Sounds like some kind of damper in the tranny is noy put together right. Maybe something in the clutch area but I'm leaning more towards internal transmission parts.

Last edited by jc46002003; 1/27/11 at 11:46 AM.
Old 1/27/11, 02:35 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by jc46002003
Question: Does it make this noise in nutral and you rev the motor when not moving? Or just while in gear?

Does not do it while out of gear, yeah it's coming from the transmission area not the rear.
Old 1/27/11, 03:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get some gear whine that I think is "normal" but that definitely seems excessive to me.

I'd take it to another dealership for a second opinion. Maybe even drive another 6MT car to compare.
Old 1/27/11, 03:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow, that sounds horible. GL with the repair.
Old 1/27/11, 03:57 PM
GT Member

ya bro, I'm 90% on internal tranny. Dealer needs to replace tranny imo. No rebuild, F-that. Replace tranny IMO. GL man!
Old 1/27/11, 04:00 PM
Bullitt Member

That is definitely not normal. The gears in that tranny are singing like canaries.
Old 1/27/11, 05:08 PM

I know they would be fixing that. That would get annoying.
Old 1/27/11, 05:14 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2010 Red Candy GT 5-speed. (2) different dealerships told me it was normal transmission noise. My 2010 Grabber Blue GT 5-speed never made this noise..
Old 1/27/11, 07:47 PM
GT Member

Ask the service manager at your dealer if he'd drive a car making that noise! Dealers are bull****. Contact Ford Customer service and ask to escalate your problem. Do not let them bull**** around. You have the right to escalate your issue. Tell um.
Old 2/2/11, 10:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

All transmissions make some noise. As the transmissions get stronger, the gears get straighter cut and make a bit more noise.

However, that's real excessive. If you were driving a race-car with a straight cut geared dog box, that would be a normal sound. However in a passenger car that has to meet NVH levels set by Ford itself, that's excessive.

It's probably a tolerance issue with the gears. Much like an improperly setup ring and pinion will howl. Not likely to be a mechanical issue, but it's certainly annoying.

If the dealership is giving you the run-around, call Ford Customer Care direct.
Old 2/4/11, 11:10 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Black 5.0
I took this video, you can hear a whining noise coming from the shifter area (it's stock).

It just started doing this, I have about 2800 miles on the car. I took it into the dealership and they said it was normal for mustangs to make this noise. I drove a new one with the service manager and he said he couldn't hear a difference. The new one was whisper quiet too. Does anyone else have this noise? What did you end up doing to fix it?

That is defintely not normal. Ihave 6600 miles on mine and even when cold, there is no noise like that. Get a second opinion. There was a new Ford Customer Service Rep thread posted a few days ago. Here is the link. Send your video to them.

https://themustangsource.com/f726/ne...ce-rep-491379/
Old 2/16/11, 10:32 AM

Mine seems to be making the same whine, not quite as bad yet though my car only has 700 miles on it. Any luck with the dealer yet???
Old 2/21/11, 10:46 AM
V6 Member

Update:

I took it to two more dealerships, first one said they couldn't touch it for two weeks and even then they weren't really prepared to work on it. They advised me to go see a different local dealership because they had a transmission expert there. The mechanic stated before I left that he wouldn't drive it like that for very long and to get it fixed ASAP.

Next dealership I rode with the "expert" and he tried to convince me that the noise COULD be normal in fords opinion and that there was nothing wrong. However he did acknowledge that there was a whine.

No repair at this time.

I'm running out of dealerships...
Old 2/21/11, 11:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Black 5.0

No way is that normal. I have a Hemi 4 speed in my Road Runner and it has straighter cut gears than the regular A833 trans and it does not make a sound like that. It does make a little noise but not like that. What is suspicious is it does it in all gears, so either every speed gear has a problem or it's a bearing. One test you could to it put it in 5th (direct gear). This should lock the output shaft with the input shaft. All speed gears freewheel at this point. This might narrow it down a pit. Do you notice the whine changing tone with clutch in as opposed to out? Could even be the throw out bearing. Need to look at everything that is rotating since it doesn't matter what gear it's in.

I don't buy the straighter cut gear theory either. If it were so it would have made that noise from day one. To happen after a few thousand miles indicates something is going south. By the sounds of this and other threads about MT transmissions, there might be a fluid problem here.

Last edited by Stang-Par; 2/21/11 at 11:19 AM.
Old 2/23/11, 09:22 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Stang-Par
No way is that normal. I have a Hemi 4 speed in my Road Runner and it has straighter cut gears than the regular A833 trans and it does not make a sound like that. It does make a little noise but not like that. What is suspicious is it does it in all gears, so either every speed gear has a problem or it's a bearing. One test you could to it put it in 5th (direct gear). This should lock the output shaft with the input shaft. All speed gears freewheel at this point. This might narrow it down a pit. Do you notice the whine changing tone with clutch in as opposed to out? Could even be the throw out bearing. Need to look at everything that is rotating since it doesn't matter what gear it's in.

I don't buy the straighter cut gear theory either. If it were so it would have made that noise from day one. To happen after a few thousand miles indicates something is going south. By the sounds of this and other threads about MT transmissions, there might be a fluid problem here.
You're on to something here, it only does it it the first 4 gears. 5th being 1:1.

Only makes the noise in gear, which leads me to believe it's the trans not the rear.
Old 3/23/11, 09:34 AM
V6 Member

Update

Car is at the dealership right now, they are going to pull the transmission and take a look at some of the bearings the tech explained to me. I should know more by end of week.
Old 3/23/11, 11:26 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi guys,

Remember, I am here to help. If you need me, message me your dealer, contact info, mileage, and VIN.

Deysha
Old 3/31/11, 01:04 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hi guys,

Remember, I am here to help. If you need me, message me your dealer, contact info, mileage, and VIN.

Deysha
Thank you, I will keep that in mind.

Update,

Ford Called and said they pulled the transmission and had to order parts to take it apart. This will be day 8 at the dealership with no real news on a fix.
Old 3/31/11, 02:39 PM

Gosh 8 days?? That's horrible thanks for the update tho

Quick Reply: Whining noise - Coming from Shifter area (Video inside)